Don't count out Trent Edwards

Mikie2times

Oh come on man...you just showed you obviously dont know what you are talking about...one, its no where near the same line that Trent played behind, not even remotely close.

Second, Brohm was not the 4th QB in GB, he was the third and only a SECOND year player.

Third, he had literally 3 days to learn our system and build rapport with our offense.

Your comparison is so freaking biased and to top it off you clearly dont know anything about Brohm other than we got him from a practice squad.

Here is a little insight for you...GB only had room for 2 QB's given their needs at other positions and obviously Rodgers was QB1 and they loved Flynn and said they felt he was more ready to play if Rodgers went down during Brohms rookie year. By year two, he had no real shot of replacing Flynn who had a full year as the number 2, especially given how high GB is on Flynn. GB, (DESPITE having Rodgers entrenched and loving Flynn) still tried to keep him when we signed him away.

Trent Edwards hasnt done anything in the NFL...and guess what, he didnt do squat in Colleger either. Here is some more info on Trent: 1, just 1 measly 300 yard game since HIGH SCHOOL and that was his first year of college, none since in college or NFL. His Senior year at Stanford the won just ONE game...and guess what, he did NOT play in that win...he missed that game and it was the only game they won. Sound familiar? Kind of like this year...couldnt get a win with him, then Fitzy comes in and wins some games with an even worse team then Trent had because we had so many injuries.

So please just stop with this Trent garbage. He hasnt been good at any level since high school, he doesnt win games, he cant carry a team, doesnt throw down field, has accomplished nothing in college or NFL, has a marginal arm at best, is highly inaccurate downfield, floats balls way too high going deep, has terrible field vision, poor decision maker, makes the O line worse, checks down all the time, and doesnt have the temperment to lead this team. Not to mention none of his teammates or coaches have any confidence in him either.

The only sad success Trent excuse makers have to point out is our start last year...well news flash, he wasnt very good at all in 3 of our wins, and just ok in the other 2. We had to even make last minute comebacks against 3 of the worst teams in football, which Trent gets way too much credit for since it was plays by Mitchell, Lynch, and ST that made all of those comebacks possible. He gets so much credit that biased fans ignore his horrible play in the first 3 quarters of each of those games which is why we had to make comebacks to begin with.

My grandma has more upside as the QB of the bills than Trent at this point...Brohm has light years more upside than Trent too...

And now we know why you are a madden player fat guy behind a screen.

Good thing the Bills coaches and scouts don't run imaginary numbers through madden.

Trent has been the Qb when his team has won more than either of the other two players. Trents QB rating on the year and career is better. He also had at least one 300 yards game against ASU in college.

So on every single item you would be wrong.

Again, I am glad you do now make decision for our team.

Edit: And GB signed Pizzotti from the Jets PS and kept him active all the way through. If having that extra spot was so needed they would have matched the Bills on the signing of Brohm and kept him. So he was at least their 4th choice.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quarterback progression comes in so many forms. Some guys like Brady or Roth-burger might experience success right away and grow from then on. Other guys like Kerry Collins or Rich Gannon may take half a career for the light to turn on.

I researched the data and one of the most prevalent turn around years for the better QB’s has been year four. Dozens of recent players have experienced more INT’s then TD’s, low completion%, poor yards a completion….Then year four hits, the numbers turn around and progression is shown throughout the rest of the career. Clearly a QB can look like two different people during even normal career progressions.

Some things about Trent I think to be true

1. Trent is a smart person. He has a high degree of intelligence for an NFL QB

2. Trent has been hit a ton with Stanford and Buffalo

3. Trent has a very quick release

4. Trent chooses to check down at a very high percentage

6. Trent has shown he can be accurate

7. Trent has shown he can lead 4th quarter comebacks

7. Trent has not shown he's capable of generating a lot of points

8. Trent has had poor direction and coaching, if nothing else from lack of consistency

9. Trent has regressed

10. Trent gets Injured

Trent is a smart guy, he picked up the system quickly. He was a blank slate. Being hit a ton at Stanford he developed one of the quickest releases in football. In that situation, his senior year, Stanford took a NCAA worst 50 sacks. So he also understood the value of checking it down. As a smart player he came in the NFL with the not to lose mentality any Rookie QB should have. He seemed to know his role precisely. Our sack rates dropped dramatically when he replaced JP. He moved the chains with short accurate throws, and yes, plenty of check downs. He even gave us actual hope by making big time NFL throws against Washington and Jacksonville. As time passed people wondered, why can't we score??????

It's part of the maturation of most quarterbacks to have some early success. The hard part is adjusting once the defensive coordinators have adjusted to you. At one point Trent knew his role precisely, now his role must change to create more down field opportunities. These changes were to be facilitated by the same coaching staff vilified on this board. Regardless of coaching, history shows this part of the transition to be the most difficult for any QB. If he makes it past this stage, he's a sure fire NFL QB. Not easy as we all know. What transpired was a major regression.

Once decisive Trent now looked confused. He was confused before this year started, but after the changes he must have been brain mush. No confidence ensued, it created interceptions, accuracy problems, poor decisions. The line was horrid, + his confusion = higher sack rates. All this eventually leading him back to a disgusting combination or the previously mentioned problems and his safety blanket, the check down. He was then injured and now in most fans eyes is a lost cause.

I don't know how Trent will do, the odds are far stacked against any QB, for Bills QB's....well...

But the point is the Trent we've watched and puked over is nowhere near the Trent he actually is. Last year he was a beaten, confused QB, but he is still the same QB that many thought was the answer. This is clearly the year the numbers show as the breakthrough year for QB. It wouldn't shock me one bit to see Trent surprise a lot of people on this board.

1. Although Trent is book smart it has not parlayed to the field.

2. Trent gets hit a lot because he does not have the ability to sense pressure of defender's coming off the edges.

3. Trent has a quick release but often doesn't attempt to release it and gets sacked. He also releases it quickly but

often throws a very short pass even when receivers are open downfield. Many of his passes that he releases

quickly often are intercepted and has thrown several interceptions for the opposing team touchdown.

4. Trent not only throws checkdowns at a very high percentage of his throws, but was utterly so addicted to this

practice that he earned the nickname "Captain Checkdown".

5. Trent has shown he can be accurate at times but often throws the ball short, to a defender, or over the receiver's

head.

6. Trent can lead a 4th quarter comeback, but it can't be against a good team, or in bad weather, or on the west

coast, and after they come back to tie the game he typically cannot finish and they lose the game in the final

drive when he throws an interception!

7. Trent does not show the ability to lead the offense to many points. Usually if the opposing team scores 17 or

more points the game is over!

8. Trent has had poor coaching and direction, but even with good coaching Trent is the one who throws the ball,

can't sense pressure, and makes poor decisions during a play. The basics aren't too hard...you throw the ball

to receivers in the same color uniform.

9. Trent was of the caliber of greatness or good to say he regressed. He never was really that good to begin with.

He had a few okay games, but some of it was the other 10 guys on the field too..

10. Trent is a injury magnet! He has a tendancy to get concussions and probably will have a short career!

We want to keep Trent WHY?????????? Because Bill Walsh said he was going to be the next Joe Montana or something?? Come'on I can't even recall Joe Montana or Steve Young ever having a bad game although they probably had a few. Even your 10 reasons had negatives to his game...Just think if you wrote the 10 reasons to cut him loose! I could have given you 10 more! He is not that inspired! Sulks! Doesn't seem aggressive! Doesn't motivate his team on sidelines!

Doesn't seem like the leader type! Has to be cliche and say he'll have to review the tape like D. Jauron did! Can't just admit that he was lousy!!! I don't like him as a QB, don't like his haircut!! lol....and I want him gone! I'd take sorry Lossman over Edwards..at least he'll throw a bomb every once in a while! Not Captain checkdown! I'd swap for Lossman in a NewYork second! Pass the clipboard to someone else Trent !!! Time for you to fly! (I HOPE) :)

I haven't stuck up for TE in a very long time. For some reason when I read your post, I was asking, why the hell did AVP have WRs running 40 yard sideline streaks every play? It seemed like Lee and TO were always taking off straight up the sidelines. Any pressure at all and that route is trash...which I thing teams proved against us week in and week out.

My issue with TE is his mental toughness and commitment to the Bills. I really feel he quit on us in Tennessee. I don't think his heart is in it. I know it's been hard, and maybe Gailey will be the infusion he needs to relight the fire.

I really don't know what we are going to do. I am going to put my faith in Nix/Gailey to make the right decision. It is easy to get all worked up and say trade for this guy, or draft that guy, but really McClain would be an amazing addition if we could solve the QB position outside of the draft. In house, which I would prefer Brohm, would be even better, allowing us to have a stronger team. I would love McNabb...not too crazy about Vick, or Tebow.

Man, it seems like this is dragging on forever!!!

I agree here. On of the biggest problems (if not the biggest) is TE not being much of a leader. the team has no faith in him at all. They see a guy give up once and he's done with that team forever. He does not seem to have the drive to be a starter. He's smart, has an arm...but is easily hurt and does not have that killer instinct a great QB should have. He's a backup...at best. But I would be horribly disappointed/frustrated if he returned as a starter.

And now we know why you are a madden player fat guy behind a screen.

Good thing the Bills coaches and scouts don't run imaginary numbers through madden.

Trent has been the Qb when his team has won more than either of the other two players. Trents QB rating on the year and career is better. He also had at least one 300 yards game against ASU in college.

So on every single item you would be wrong.

Again, I am glad you do now make decision for our team.

Edit: And GB signed Pizzotti from the Jets PS and kept him active all the way through. If having that extra spot was so needed they would have matched the Bills on the signing of Brohm and kept him. So he was at least their 4th choice.

hahaha...dude you are crazy...I said right in my post he had ONE 300 yard game in college, probably the one you just referenced...you cant even read a post right...best part is that you act like that one 300 yard game makes him good.

Brohm has just one start...so love the "wins" comparison by you to him :) ....and fitz won more games than Trent did this year in his only year as a bill...

So, you have yet to make a single truthful, accurate, or relevant supporting argument. I also love how you ignore all of the flaws that I pointed out...probably because they are indisputable. So until you can provide something of real substance, I see no reason to further discuss this with you.

I've cooled on killing trent now that the season has ended and we have new coaches. I'd like to see a stop gap QB in here, but I'm also intrigued to see how Edwards game changes, if at all in the new system during pre-season. It really could have just been him being jauroninized and having a new voice to get him back right. He is a smart kid and under the right tutilage(sp?) could become a pretty good QB. But we'll just have to see, and until we know for sure we need some sort of upgrade at qb.

I don't consider those cases the same. I supposed I should have used the term "drafted" but I forgot that you are on this board Senator.

Yeah, I know the risks, but this organization has tried hard placed enough importance on finding a QB.

Again, why not draft a guy now, let him sit, an enhance the line as we go? QB's take a while. Much more time efficient, no?

Draft who? There are no Jim Kelly's in this year's crop. Tebow's looking awful at the Senior Bowl - many scouts are convinced he'll never make it in the NFL. Jimmy Clausen? I wouldn't pick him for anything but president of the Lance Bass fan club...

Clausen

Bradford's got shoulder questions, Pike's destined to be a mid-round pick and career backup. Who would you waste a first-round pick to draft?

If you want to talk about 'time efficient' the Bills should have just signed Brett Favre two years ago when he became available, and it wouldn't have cost them ANYTHING - certainly not the first round picks they gave up to get Johnson or Bledsoe - but for some strange, inexplicable reason, they instead chose to place their confidence in the noodle armed, porcelain doll, Dakota Fanning fan...

Trent Edwards

Draft big, nasty, ugly, vicious linemen. Start with Bulaga. Come back in round 6 and draft Ulatoski. Then watch your QB magically improve.

The main reason for that is because once they have been beaten down game after game at the NFL level they usually Never get another solid chance to prove them selves on a great team.

I can think of one exception, Jim Plunkett. Who was beaten up and injured game after game in NE and then went on to the Raiders to win a SB.

The Bills could draft a QB in the first round every year for the next ten years and still never find a Payton Manning- Brett Farve- Joe Montana. Those players are legends of the game and are more rare then hens teeth.

Then there is the painful truth that even if the Bills did indeed find the next NFL legend and drafted him only to see him turn into Archie Manning-David Carr- Joey Harrington and get pounded game after game into losses each week behind a poor O line, in a poor scheme, on a bad team...what sense does that make?

Anyone remember Steve Young and his first two years in the NFL with the Buc's, now that was painful.

You mention Plunkett as the only guy, then bring up Steve Young?

Anyway, I don't think the only good Qb's are the ones that have won a Super Bowl. That's not the only yardstick. The team hasn't taken the chance very often (twice in 50 years), so for people to feel so uptight about it after all these losing seasons with crappy QB's, knowing that the Bills' only real success has been with a first round pick, and that QB is the most important position on a team, is odd to me.

I am not sure any of this years crop are worth it, but if one is, go get him. The line can be enhanced along the way while the new guy watches and learns the pro game. That seems irrational to you?

WOW!

You're asking me to choose between Brett Favre and Trent Edwards (or Trent Dilfer, or Brad Johnson, or Kelly Holcomb)?

Brett Favre has won a Super Bowl, and has been the aknowledged leader of some excellent, and exciting (that's important) teams that have gone deep into the playoffs. He raises the level of play of all the players around him. Call it presence, charisma, leadership, I don't care (just PLEASE don't call it swagger!), but it IS important!

He never missed a game in 19 seasons. He holds many of the all-time passing records (yeah, even interceptions). He is a first ballot Hall of Famer, whose career is woven into the folklore of NFL history, blahblahblah....

Brett Favre is truly the opposite of Trent Edwards. I can't even imagine how much better the Bills would have been if they would've had Favre as their QB for the last 19 seasons.

You're out of your mind.

+1 billion

DrFishfinder

The beaten, confused Trent that "we've puked over" is exactly who he actually is, under the circumstances in which he played. He looked good at 5-1 and was rated in the top 5 QB's in the league at that point. Then he got a concussion, the OL fell apart, he got another concussion and that OL fell apart, and on and on and on.

Things are starting out pretty much with a clean slate next season, from the GM, HC, OC and DC on down. As has been said before, no QB can throw while he's flat on his back. So hopefully they'll address the OL first. As for Edwards and any chance of him staying, I'm all for Gailey giving him a shot in pre season. But bring in a bona fide starting QB first. I don't think the Bills can afford the luxury of experimenting with Edwards yet again, to see if it was reason A, B, C or D - Z that he didn't work out. Give him a shot in preseason, but make the decision to keep him or not quickly, and move forward either way.

And make damn sure there is a starting caliber QB on the roster in case the decision is NO.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Great post

To me Trent has not been right since the big hit in Arizona, he rever looked the same last year . No quaterback could have done anything behind the o line this year. I do not think he is an elite qb talent but behind a solid o line he maybe serviceable , possibly even playoff caliber. I have no problem with looking to upgrade but he may again be our best chance. That said he might be shellsocked and never reach his best . I also wonder if Nix is going to make a play for one of the Charger backups