Justice Dept To Look At Trying KSM Outside of NY

It wouldn't surprise me if many of the public who are complaining about the need to use military tribunals think that all the terrorists were tried in that forum and not in civilian courts, and that there are no terrorists held in our prisons. But why find out the facts when they can repeat the conservative talking points.

You know what never gets old? Having a liberal explain that the reason no one agrees with them is simply because those who disagree are either wrong or stupid. It's like listening to Obama confess that the reason his health care bid met such an unbelievably embarrassing death wasn't because it was a bad plan, but because in all of his countless speeches, and prime time press conference, and prime time speech to a joint session of congress, the American people simply were too stupid to catch his drift.

You really can't pay for this kind of entertainment, and yet we do. We pay out the ass.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a point that is all too often missed, as far as I'm concerned. You earn the biggest seat at the biggest table in the world. You do it on a wave of emotion that was unlike anything I have ever witnessed in my lifetime. It's epic. It's historic. It's inspiring. And I'm not even saying that sarcastically. I truly mean this. As a person conceited enough to run for President, it's everything you could possible ask for, including full control of both houses and a year to set the stage for the greatest presidency ever.

How do you NOT give more consideration to important decisions before actually making them? It's the most obvious of all good plans. How do you take the biggest golden ticket Willy Wonka ever handed out, and use it to roll a big, fat Humboldt County joint?

I find it stunning. I actually regret having not paid closer attention to the daily workings of politics before this year because I sense it's the equivalent of having the first football game you watch as a Bills fan be Super Bowl XXV.

Serious answer? It's where Obama's electoral "mandate" (such as it was - I think he had one, but I recognize it's debatable) meets the reality of the office. Obama believed with no small justification that he had a mandate to provide the metaphorical "rainbow farting unicorn", but when reality hands you a herd of fertilizer-producing horses, you eventually have to face the simple fact that you don't have rainbows and unicorns, but horses and manure. Now you can get a lot of good use out of horses and manure...but it takes a lot of work, and it's quite frankly easier to try to market them as unicorns and rainbows, particularly when that's what you've promised. Particularly if you're an academic - because when your rainbow-farting unicorns turn out to be manure-producing horses, it's the horses' fault because your rainbow-farting unicorn idea is perfectly sound (and I'm saying that as an academic myself - if theory doesn't match reality, most theoreticians will insist reality's wrong).

That's why, thirteen months later, it's still amateur hour. Every presidency (Save King Bush the First, who had the benefit of eight years of vice presidency) goes through the "Whadda ya mean, I can't do that?" learning curve. Most don't go through it this slowly, though, because most aren't so wedded to shoe-horning "what is" into their theoretical ideal of "what should be".