Don Banks of SI

If you like NFL drafts heavy on juniors, and defensive linemen, this is the draft for you.

(So, we can fill our D-Line needs later in the draft!)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writ....html?eref=sihp

Although I don't mind us taking a look at Clausen, and I would rather pick up 2 QB's in the later rounds, Tebow and Pike/LeFevour...I REALLY don't like who some other teams are getting (in this mock)...specifically the Dolphins and Patriots...Rolando McClain to Miami, and Sergio Kindle. I think BOTH would be STUDS in those 2 spots.

Anyways...check it out and let me know what you think. I just dont put too much thought into these, for example...why would the Texans NEED a Safety with the re-emergence of Bernard Pollard?

9 - QB - Jimmy Clausen - Notre Dame - Jr. (6-3, 223lbs)

There's plenty of divided opinion on Clausen and some teams would never consider him for a top 10 draft slot. In reality, given that the tandem of new coach Chan Gailey and new GM Buddy Nix aren't building with a five-year plan in mind, the Bills will probably seek a veteran quarterback like Michael Vick or Donovan McNabb in the pre-draft months and eschew selecting a first-round QB. Buffalo is desperate for help at offensive tackle, but until it signals its intentions at quarterback, we'll give them Clausen without much enthusiasm.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you like NFL drafts heavy on juniors, and defensive linemen, this is the draft for you.

Although I don't mind us taking a look at Clausen, and I would rather pick up 2 QB's in the later rounds, Tebow and Pike/LeFevour...I REALLY don't like who some other teams are getting (in this mock)...specifically the Dolphins and Patriots...Rolando McClain to Miami, and Sergio Kindle. I think BOTH would be STUDS in those 2 spots.

Anyways...check it out and let me know what you think. I just dont put too much thought into these, for example...why would the Texans NEED a Safety with the re-emergence of Bernard Pollard?

There's plenty of divided opinion on Clausen and some teams would never consider him for a top 10 draft slot. In reality, given that the tandem of new coach Chan Gailey and new GM Buddy Nix aren't building with a five-year plan in mind, the Bills will probably seek a veteran quarterback like Michael Vick or Donovan McNabb in the pre-draft months and eschew selecting a first-round QB. Buffalo is desperate for help at offensive tackle, but until it signals its intentions at quarterback, we'll give them Clausen without much enthusiasm.

I would love to get him here.

Its got some guys being drafted WAY before their projection, its very possible that iupati, spikes, could slip to #41, Personally, I would go ot in rd 1, then eric norwood the ROLB from USC, Lefevour, and go from there, I like the WR kid from Ohio, kindof a collie/welker type from what i've seen at the senior bowl practices

Its got some guys being drafted WAY before their projection, its very possible that iupati, spikes, could slip to #41, Personally, I would go ot in rd 1, then eric norwood the ROLB from USC, Lefevour, and go from there, I like the WR kid from Ohio, kindof a collie/welker type from what i've seen at the senior bowl practices

He's from South Carolina, and from what i've read round 2 might be too high for him.

I don't get why everyone is so down on Clausen in these mocks. Clausen is hands down the best QB in the draft he has been healthy (Only a minor injury in his freshman year fully healthy in his last 2 seasons), accurate (60 plus percent completion percentage in his sophomore year and 68 plus completion percentage last season), strong arm (By all accounts can make the NFL throws), quick release, and comes from a under center pro offense.

Look at Sam Bradford the guy played in a spread offense, has injury issues, and has a thin frame. Why is it such a slam dunk that Bradford is the best QB in the draft. Honestly there is no way Clausen slips past Seattle at pick 6.

I don't get why everyone is so down on Clausen in these mocks. Clausen is hands down the best QB in the draft he has been healthy (Only a minor injury in his freshman year fully healthy in his last 2 seasons), accurate (60 plus percent completion percentage in his sophomore year and 68 plus completion percentage last season), strong arm (By all accounts can make the NFL throws), quick release, and comes from a under center pro offense.

Look at Sam Bradford the guy played in a spread offense, has injury issues, and has a thin frame. Why is it such a slam dunk that Bradford is the best QB in the draft. Honestly there is no way Clausen slips past Seattle at pick 6.

That's not true. These QB's are all very weak, and there is no "hands down" front runner.

He's from South Carolina, and from what i've read round 2 might be too high for him.

Yeah USC is South Carolina, and from what i've heard his stock is up, but he'd be a good pick either way, it's b/t Norwood, johnson (kentucky), hughes (TCU), if spikes and mcclain aren't there, both those guys seem like they could be very good for us, without spending the top dollar

That's not true. These QB's are all very weak, and there is no "hands down" front runner.

I feel like Clausen is the best of the bunch. I remember reading Football Prospectus on what are the things you look for in a college QB if he will be successful in the pros. They said 1- Completion percentage 2- Health 3- Ability to make NFL throws. Clausen has all 3 (68 percent completion percentage, played all of his games last 2 years, and strong arm).

As in added bonus Clausen has a quick release and comes from a pro offense I don't get what the knocks on Clausen are. Sure there are attitude issues but he doesn't have work issues. He is a young kid (Junior coming out of college) he has a great chance to mature. Another knock is he is a Calie QB BUT he played at ND (A pesudo cold weather school) which is pretty far from Calie.

hate to burst your bubble but a lot of the experts are saying they would not take any of the QB's in this draft in the first round.

in reality is a bad year to be needing a QB and that is the reality of the situation!

hate to burst your bubble but a lot of the experts are saying they would not take any of the QB's in this draft in the first round.

in reality is a bad year to be needing a QB and that is the reality of the situation!

But what specifically is the knock on Clausen? I am seriously asking what is the big knock on Clausen he has all the tools and results in college. Not saying he is can't miss BUT he isn't worth a pick in the 1st round come on that's being very hyperbolic. I don't know maybe I am just missing something.

But what specifically is the knock on Clausen? I am seriously asking what is the big knock on Clausen he has all the tools and results in college. Not saying he is can't miss BUT he isn't worth a pick in the 1st round come on that's being very hyperbolic. I don't know maybe I am just missing something.

1) Brady Quinn

2) Soft schedule

3) Plays on a team with top 10 talent so it is hard to fully evaluate him

I don't mind Clausen but none of these QBs do much for me. I'd much rather build up the lines this year and suffer with Brohm/ Fitz/ someone else. I much prefer Mallett or Locker. Drafting out of desperation kills franchises.

If Seattle really wants to get a quarterback in this draft, I think they'll select Clausen/Bradford if available with their #6 pick (in which case it's unlikely one of them drops to our #9 selection). One of the top 5 offensive tackles will be available by the time the Seahawks draft again in round one at #14.

I really wish Jake Locker declared for this years draft. If he did, we could get one of Locker/Clausen/Bradford at #9. But we'll still have plenty of offensive tackles to choose from.

If Seattle really wants to get a quarterback in this draft, I think they'll select Clausen/Bradford if available with their #6 pick (in which case it's unlikely one of them drops to our #9 selection). One of the top 5 offensive tackles will be available by the time the Seahawks draft again in round one at #14.

I really wish Jake Locker declared for this years draft. If he did, we could get one of Locker/Clausen/Bradford at #9. But we'll still have plenty of offensive tackles to choose from.

It would be interesting to see if Carroll takes Clausen since he has played against him first hand and knows how to gameplan against him. I think they pass and go with Hasselback another year. And i really don't value his opinion much, but Todd McShay doesn't even have him as a 1st rounder. Makes you wonder.

1) Brady Quinn

2) Soft schedule

3) Plays on a team with top 10 talent so it is hard to fully evaluate him

I don't mind Clausen but none of these QBs do much for me. I'd much rather build up the lines this year and suffer with Brohm/ Fitz/ someone else. I much prefer Mallett or Locker. Drafting out of desperation kills franchises.

I don't get how Quinn is a knock on Clausen. Quinn is far from a finished product in the NFL so to call Quinn a bust isn't accurate and Clausen is just a different circumstance all together. Just because Carson Palmer was a good pro QB (Before the injury although he rebounded a bit this season) doesn't mean Matt Leinhart or Mark Sanchez is going to be good in the NFL.

The soft schedule is a concern BUT the surrounding talent on the team isn't the team had one of their best WR's hurt early in the year and the offensive line sucked. So I think that while the schedule was soft it wasn't like Clausen was elevated much or at all by his surrounding cast. So I think that a soft schedule is really the only concern about Clausen but is it enough to put Bradford who is way too thin, injury prone, and plays out of the spread ahead of him.

Clausen comes with concerns but they are not that bad when compared to Bradfords.

The wildcard in this whole draft is Washington @ #4. There is no doubt in my mind that Shananhan is going to take Okung, and look for McCoy in the 2nd. I want the Bills to draft Bulaga @ #9, but I'm not so sure he's going to be there should there be a run on OTs way, way early.

From Draft Huddle they did a Clausen - Bradford comparison-

"The individual record for both quarterbacks vs ranked opponents is eye-opening. Clausen is 0-10 vs. ranked

opponents while Bradford is 8-3 vs ranked opponents.

In addition to playing more ranked opponents, the average margin of victory over ranked opponents is 23 points for

Oklahoma. In addition to this statistic, in 2008, Oklahoma went on a three game stretch scoring over 60+ points vs. the

#2, #12, and #13 teams in the NCAA. Clausen and Notre Dame's average loss to ranked opponents is: 15.8 points.

Bradford (+)