Don Banks of SI

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you like NFL drafts heavy on juniors, and defensive linemen, this is the draft for you.

(So, we can fill our D-Line needs later in the draft!)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writ....html?eref=sihp

Although I don't mind us taking a look at Clausen, and I would rather pick up 2 QB's in the later rounds, Tebow and Pike/LeFevour...I REALLY don't like who some other teams are getting (in this mock)...specifically the Dolphins and Patriots...Rolando McClain to Miami, and Sergio Kindle. I think BOTH would be STUDS in those 2 spots.

Anyways...check it out and let me know what you think. I just dont put too much thought into these, for example...why would the Texans NEED a Safety with the re-emergence of Bernard Pollard?

9 - QB - Jimmy Clausen - Notre Dame - Jr. (6-3, 223lbs)

There's plenty of divided opinion on Clausen and some teams would never consider him for a top 10 draft slot. In reality, given that the tandem of new coach Chan Gailey and new GM Buddy Nix aren't building with a five-year plan in mind, the Bills will probably seek a veteran quarterback like Michael Vick or Donovan McNabb in the pre-draft months and eschew selecting a first-round QB. Buffalo is desperate for help at offensive tackle, but until it signals its intentions at quarterback, we'll give them Clausen without much enthusiasm.

The bottom line is, if Pike/Lefvour are worth a damn, the league is going to unearth it in the 3 months before the draft. they are going to poke and prod every one of these guys. Look at Joe Flacco. Where was he this time of year? Pike and Lefevour might have all the tools needed to be quality starting quarterbacks, but if they do, they probably won't be sticking around until the 4th or 5th round

I already apologized in advance for my future Clausen crusade, and the good news is it will only last 3 more months.

To people who don't like his game....WHY? What are the weaknesses you observed? What are his flaws that keep him from succeeding at the next level? Save any argument containing W/L record as Jimmy Clausen was the only reason Notre Dame didn't lose 10 more games over the past 2 years.

To people who don't like his attitude...WHY? Besides showing up to South Bend in a limo with spiked hair 3 years ago, what has he said/done that makes you think this? I'm not doubting anyone because he could very well be a d-bag. He is supposedly pretty cocky and I've seen him yell and chew people out dozens of times during games. I happen to like that quality in a QB. I liked it when that cocky !@#$ from the U (who refused to play for Buffalo) would chew people out and get pissed. I like a QB who won't take **** and doesn't care if you don't like him as long as you get on his page.

I'll give as fair of an assessment of his strengths and weaknesses as I can and tell me what you disagree with:

Strengths:

- Arm strength...he can make all the throws. He's not Mallett but he's not McCoy.

- Accuracy...seriously, watch game film from this year. Get a pad a paper and make a check every time he throws a bad ball. You'll be amazed how little ink you use.

- Vision...he doesn't just make the good throw, he finds the right guy. He is the anti-Trent in that he will trust his arm to make a tight throw and trust his WR even when separation looks limited.

- Toughness...alluded to in other threads but he took a pounding his true freshman year that would make Aaron Rodgers look like Peyton Manning. ND's offensive line that year was atrocious and he took those licks week after week. He missed some time but he bounced back better than ever. Then there was the tiny little issue of multiple torn ligaments in his toe that he played through the entire season.

- Pro-Style offense...no spread, no pistol, no air raid, no option...pro-style. Charlie was a bad coach, but he ran a good offense and NFL one at that.

- Moxie...see above. No deer in the headlights, golly gee bull ****...he'll be the general of the huddle and people will be on his page.

- Experience...I would have liked to see him stay another year and yes, his results were mixed for years 1 and 2, but he is a 3 year starter with a continual upward arc in production and skill.

Weaknesses:

- Mobility...Michael Vick he surely aint...but he can move in the pocket very well. He has very good awareness.

- Surrounding talent...he threw to some serious gamers. Everyone knows Tate, but if you don't know Floyd, you will. He is the real deal. A Larry Fitzgerald type who will be a pro-bowl WR if he can stay healthy. And Kyle Rudolph is one of the better TEs in the nation.

- System...I can see the knock that this is the same system that Brady Quinn broke records in. But unless you watched them both play, you won't see how completely different their games are. Jimmy was making throws as a sophomore that Brady never mastered, and probably never will.

- Competition...ND didn't play SEC defenses. A once-formidable ND schedule has been shameless scaled back by a clueless administration. But he faced some good talent and he played about as well as he could regardless of his level of competition.

I have no doubt that Clausen could come to Buffalo and not work out at all. I've seen nothing in the past 15 years that shows me this franchise has any clue on how to develop QBs. I also realize that with our O-line, it's going to be a rough go for anyone. But Jimmy can be the keystone that you build back up around. He has all the tools to succeed and if put in the right spot, I believe he can and will be successful immediately.

If we are fortunate enough to be on the clock when he is available, it will be a great shame if we don't call his name.

hate to burst your bubble but a lot of the experts are saying they would not take any of the QB's in this draft in the first round.

in reality is a bad year to be needing a QB and that is the reality of the situation!

Bursting Bubbles we shall do. Mel Kiper had JC as the top overall, not QB, but overall prospect at one point this year. I believe it was about a month and a half ago actually after the FBS "season" had just ended.

Comparing JC and Brady Quinn is wrong. It makes no sense to sat JC is good or bad because he played at the same school Quinn. I understand and see the numbers, but they are 2 different people.

IMO JC is going to be a good qb, not great but a QB who will be able to manage the game, and win you a couple on his own.

The bottom line is, if Pike/Lefvour are worth a damn, the league is going to unearth it in the 3 months before the draft. they are going to poke and prod every one of these guys. Look at Joe Flacco. Where was he this time of year? Pike and Lefevour might have all the tools needed to be quality starting quarterbacks, but if they do, they probably won't be sticking around until the 4th or 5th round

Like Tom Brady?

Bursting Bubbles we shall do. Mel Kiper had JC as the top overall, not QB, but overall prospect at one point this year. I believe it was about a month and a half ago actually after the FBS "season" had just ended.

Comparing JC and Brady Quinn is wrong. It makes no sense to sat JC is good or bad because he played at the same school Quinn. I understand and see the numbers, but they are 2 different people.

IMO JC is going to be a good qb, not great but a QB who will be able to manage the game, and win you a couple on his own.

How about Claussen leadership style or lack of it. Isn't he a lot like Rob Johnson?

1) Trent Edwards set a NFL record for highest completion % for a 2nd year QB. It's an overrated stat.

2) Both Mallett and Locker were in their first years under a new coach/ system. Clausen was in his 3rd year with the same coach and system. I'm predicting both RM and JL will have much higher #s this year.

I'm with you...shore up the line this year, build a soild foundation, get Mallett or Locker next year!

1) Brady Quinn

2) Soft schedule

3) Plays on a team with top 10 talent so it is hard to fully evaluate him

I don't mind Clausen but none of these QBs do much for me. I'd much rather build up the lines this year and suffer with Brohm/ Fitz/ someone else. I much prefer Mallett or Locker. Drafting out of desperation kills franchises.

THat about sums it up to me

I look at the 2010 draft for the Bills and conclude that they could be a real wild card. Let's assume, probably wrongly, that the draft falls the way Don Banks expects. Except at #8, the Raiders are sure to select someone who is a natural 3rd round draft pick because that's the way Al Davis drafts every year. This opens up Rutgers OT, Andrew Davis. If it were me, I'd prefer Iowa OT, Bryan Bulaga, who was rock solid for the Hawkeyes last season.

That's a fairly obvious selection.

Not so obvious, however, is that the Bills could select Oklahoma State WR, Dez Bryant to replace Reed and/or Owens. The only fallacy with this is we still don't have an OT to protect the QB so he can find Bryant downfield. My estimation is that the OL will be improved next year, although, the fates seem to be saying that Wood could miss 2010 altogether.

Also at #9 is Georgia Tech DE, Derrick Morgan. If Gailey is sincere about his plan to move the Bills D to a 3-4 alignment, this could be an outstanding selection to begin to build a framework for success. He could start almost immediately and move draft bust Maybin back to his natural position at OLB. The Chargers are terrific at getting incredible talent through the draft and we have to hope that Nix isn't suffering the onset of dimensia.

As discussed frequently on this board, there are plenty of high quality QB prospects up and down the draft board and we may end up trading for one with our #2 or #3 pick anyway, and I'm not entirely sold on Clausen, assuming he's available a #9 at all. We could pick up an OT in the second or third round.