JD Salinger dead at 91

erynthered

I hated reading "The Catcher in the Rye" in school. Holden Caulfield was a lazy punk who needed a good butt kicking. Boo hoo, life is tough. Get over it.

How do you figure Holden to be a punk? I guess you missed out on some major themes of the book

How do you figure Holden to be a punk? I guess you missed out on some major themes of the book

Get's kicked out of prep school because he doesn't do the work to get decent grades. Doesn't make the most of his opportunity that many other kids would never get. That's a punk in my book.

"I was the only one left in the tomb then. It was sort of peaceful. I sort of liked it, in a way. It was so nice and peaceful. Then, all of a sudden, you'd never guess what I saw on the wall. Another '!@#$ you.' It was written with a red crayon or something, right under the glass part of the wall, under the stones.

"That's the whole trouble. You can't ever find a place that's nice and peaceful, because there isn't any. You may think there is, but once you get there, when you're not looking, somebody'll sneak up and write '!@#$ you' right under your nose. Try it sometime. I think, even, if I ever die, and they stick me in a cemetary, and I have a tombstone and all, it'll say 'Holden Caulfield' on it, and then what year I was born and what year I died, and then right under that it'll say '!@#$ you.' I'm positive, in fact."

Get's kicked out of prep school because he doesn't do the work to get decent grades. Doesn't make the most of his opportunity that many other kids would never get. That's a punk in my book.

so you lump underachievers with Pac Man Jones types? Talk about watering down a word

how come you didn't thank him for the newsflash????

You can't demand a newsflash from a dead man. Usually.

Salinger was a recluse, and (correctly) refused to talk to the press, most of his life.

The press talked to me one time, and like the young, innocent sap I was at the time, I answered. I was grievously misquoted, and used for the reporter's personal purposes.

Never again.

I now know why Frank Sinatra used to punch out reporters. If it ever happens again - though it will probably be the last earthly act allowed by my frailty, I will marshal whatever is left and break his/her rude, disrespectful, pushy jaw with my laminated heavy-duty cane.

I'd never be incarcerated - they would never want to spend the $$$ to take care of me, get stuck with housing me, feeding me, treating me etc. I'm golden! :thumbsup:

The press talked to me one time,...I now know why Frank Sinatra used to punch out reporters...

Sinatra and Salinger were talented artists to the extent that they helped define music and literature in the 20th Century. What did the press want to talk to you about? Your neighbors' complaints of strange smells coming from your house?

:thumbsup::devil:

Sinatra and Salinger were talented artists to the extent that they helped define music and literature in the 20th Century. What did the press want to talk to you about? Your neighbors' complaints of strange smells coming from your house?

:thumbsup::devil:

The good things that an employer of 5,000 people was doing to help out the folks that were losing their jobs. I was careful, accurate, and precise, and they proceeded to ignore my words and paint me and the company as monsters so they could get a juicy, "A" section byline.

The potential good news for Salinger fans is the possibility of loads of previously unreleased writings that his family will allow to be published posthumously. HOPEFULLY....

:thumbsup: NPR was saying Salinger continued to write his whole life and has a vault of books

I hated reading "The Catcher in the Rye" in school. Holden Caulfield was a lazy punk who needed a good butt kicking. Boo hoo, life is tough. Get over it.

I agree but the movie version was even crappier. Kevin Costner sucked and the whiny father complaining he never got to catch in the majors sucked. Plus they shot the whole thing in a corn field, not a rye field. Catcher in the Corn?

:thumbsup::devil::censored:

I think that you just didn't get the book. Its not saying that Holden was perfect or anything but that he was having a hard time making the adjustment from the child world where everything made sense to him to the world of being an adult where people weren't what they seemed and the world was occupied by phonies.

It was about the transition he had to make from the innocence of youth to the harsh reality of the real world. He wasn't a punk he was just someone who expected more from the world due to the way it was to him as a child.