NFL forcing Pro Bowl Super Bowl players to show up for

erynthered

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...mp;sportCat=nfl

26. Starting with the ridiculous decision to force Super Bowl players to show up early for an appearance at the Pro Bowl, we will all grow to hate this fake, overhyped NFL commercial even more than the fourth preseason game.

I tried to find an article speaking directly about this but couldnt find one. Making those players fly in to Miami to practice then let them fly back to prepare for the SB. That has to be the most idiotic !@#$ed up thing I've heard in a long time.

I tried to find an article speaking directly about this but couldnt find one. Making those players fly in to Miami to practice then let them fly back to prepare for the SB. That has to be the most idiotic !@#$ed up thing I've heard in a long time.

Idiotic, yes. But since the Superbowl is in Miami and the players will be there about one week early anyway, it means the pro bowlers would need show up 1 day earlier for an appearance or maybe to watch the game from the sideline. For better or worse, the whole SB week is one big hypefest.

Idiotic, yes. But since the Superbowl is in Miami and the players will be there about one week early anyway, it means the pro bowlers would need show up 1 day earlier for an appearance or maybe to watch the game from the sideline. For better or worse, the whole SB week is one big hypefest.

I agree but I also get the sense that guys like Drew Brees and Peyton Manning probably don't take days off between the conference championship and the Super Bowl. They are probably pissed - one less day to watch film, gameplan, etc.

I agree but I also get the sense that guys like Drew Brees and Peyton Manning probably don't take days off between the conference championship and the Super Bowl. They are probably pissed - one less day to watch film, gameplan, etc.

Thats the point. Making them show up for Pro Bowl practice when they have better thing to be doing. Like getting ready for the biggest game of their lives, not some bull **** practice for the bull **** Pro Bowl. Ridiculas!

Am I missing something? Where does it say they have to practice? All I see is they have to make an appearance and it might be just on game day, when the Saints and Colts should already be in town...

Am I missing something? Where does it say they have to practice? All I see is they have to make an appearance and it might be just on game day, when the Saints and Colts should already be in town...

I heard it on the radio it was practice. But what I posted could be right, not sure. Still appearance or not I think its still sucks for those players.

I heard it on the radio it was practice. But what I posted could be right, not sure. Still appearance or not I think its still sucks for those players.

Wow, I hope they were misinformed. Making them practice would be ridiculous! I can't imagine that. The thing that really is going to bite the NFL with this whole week before the SB Pro Bowl, is when you have all these 6th and 7th alternates that can now put "Pro Bowl" on their resume when it's time to renegotiate. This is going to drive the price of average players even higher. Is this a one year deal? Or are there plans to continue the Pro Bowl pre-SB thing?

Wow, I hope they were misinformed. Making them practice would be ridiculous! I can't imagine that. The thing that really is going to bite the NFL with this whole week before the SB Pro Bowl, is when you have all these 6th and 7th alternates that can now put "Pro Bowl" on their resume when it's time to renegotiate. This is going to drive the price of average players even higher. Is this a one year deal? Or are there plans to continue the Pro Bowl pre-SB thing?

I fixed the title of the thread just in case its an "appearance" thingy. Again I think its a bad policy regardless.

Not sure on the deal with Miami having anymore Pro Bowl's.

PTI ran a segment on this. Short version: "It's stupid."

In a longer version, they explained this whole change this year was an attempt to give the game more relevence and hold Hawaii hostage for mo' money -which they appear to be successful. I'd opine that the requirements of SB teams Pro Bowl selections need to be there -if for no other reason- to take the annual team picture of ProBowlers and satisfy football card companies (Topps, Fleer, etc) of PBer's in PB unis.

The game returns to Hawaii next year -per PTI Guys.

Just my take.

Forcing players who are in the SB to come to the Pro Bowl is just plain dumb.

Moving the ProBowl is perhaps the most stupid thing Goodell has done. Yes, even dumber than screwing up the draft. Due to the nature of football, the Pro Bowl will always be a glorified pre season game. That's just the way it is.

First of all, no one wants to go all out and run the risk of a career ending injury. It's just not going to happen. Secondly, the very nature of football, being the true team sport, mens you cannot just put a bunch of all stars together with little practice and expect the same crisp play that you see from the top teams.

The game has become a fun, light-hearted event for all involved - the players and the fans. They get a free trip to Hawaii. We get to see them in a more relaxed environment having a little fun. It's a nice send off to the season. If you take it as that.

However, now it's just another "event" amidst the hype and spectacle. Not to mention some of your best players won't be participating in any of the Pro Bowl events. Talk about losing relevance.. its completely lost now. Imagine being a Dolphins player in the Pro Bowl.. wooo you get a free trip to the place you work all year. Not to mention, imagine some guy on the Saints that made his first Pro Bowl; now he misses all of it. Just stupid.

Maybe it'll make the NFL some more money though. Yeah money.