which comes first?

DFL

QB

To quote Sandra Bullock from The Blind Side

"As a home owner, the first check you write is for your mortgage, and the second one your write is for the insurance

Yeah, except when your home is a trailer and it's parked in Tornado Alley. Then you write the insurance check first, because there won't be a home to write a check for if you don't.

O line first; even the best QBs are crap if they're being sacked all the time.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"It doesn't matter what you run...doesn't matter whether you run it every snap, run the option, throw it, the most important position's offensive line. You can't do anything without a pretty good offensive line - and the more they handle, the more margin of error you have all the way around." - Mike Leach

Chapter 23, verse 7 from the Holy Book of Leach. This psalm brought to you by his very own disciple, The Senator.

Chapter 23, verse 7 from the Holy Book of Leach. This psalm brought to you by his very own disciple, The Senator.

And the Bills would do well to heed the words of the prophet. After all, Leach's Red Raider's led the NCAA in passing offense 6 of the last 8 years, coming in 2nd the other 2 - including this season when Leach was forced to platoon 3 different QBs due to injuries.

Didn't the Bills finish this season with no depth at LT due to injuries? I believe we were starting Levitre at LT at the end. Draft a LT. Better yet, draft 2 or 3 of 'em.

The answer is you take the best player available first. That keeps you from over reaching on 'Maybins' who are picked to fill a perceived slot. I could care less if we pick a DB as long as he is the best player at #9.

And with the #9 pick of the NFL draft, the Buffalo Bills select Eric Berry, Safety, Tennessee. :worthy:

Looking at the two most recent expansion franchises' initial first-round picks ...

1999 Browns: Tim Couch

2002 Texans: David Carr

Did they pick the wrong QB, or did they ruin a guy who could have been their franchise QB by not protecting him? Hmmm.

The Browns' 1999 line was anchored by aging LT Lomas Brown, but Brown wasn't totally finished -- he moved on to play in the SB with the Giants the following year. Buffalo native Dave Wohlabaugh was serviceable at center, 'Zeus' Brown at RT. Guards were ... meh. Ty Detmer was the backup that year, and didn't do much better than Couch.

Carr never had a chance, once the Texans discovered that Tony Boselli wouldn't be able to play. Their line looked a lot like Buffalo's (post-injury-bug) this year -- Steve McKinney at C, two rookies (including at LT), and a bunch of scrubs. All these years later, I still can't believe he survived 76 sacks, much less took every snap at QB for them. I have my doubts as to whether Carr would have panned out anyway, but I'd put him in the 'ruined' camp.

Overall, unless there's an obvious, can't-miss QB prospect available at No. 9, put me in the "fix the line first" camp. The Jets could go ahead and start Sanchez this year precisely because he had three Pro Bowl O-linemen in front of him and a strong running game to lean on.

Really good post Lori, I'm also in the "fix the line first" camp... Although, I feel it is lost with so many on this board :blush:

Because you will never convince some on this board to understand that the Jets with a rookie QB, who played some downright horrid games this season were one game away from the super bowl because of that great running game and great defense and not Sanchez. The more he played, the more he learned and was able to develop because of the great protection he had.

Shoot, even some of the coaches in the NFL still don't "get it", that you can't throw a young inexperienced QB into a sink or swim environment and then expect them to win games for you with a bad O line.

I'll tell those to look at the Lions this season, Matt Stafford looked awesome in some games he played in, but I wonder if he will survive over the next few years to be able to develop into a top QB... or will he become another train wreck like Joey Harrington-David Carr and countless others.

All I gotta say is... look at the Baltimore Raven's wildcard playoff game at New England and winning QB Joe Flacco throws for 4 of 10 for 34 yards :worthy:

The Ravens pounded them into submission with a terrific running attack and defense. Lord, I hope Gailey can build an O line and defense like the Ravens have, and it won't matter who the QB is.

can't do both?

there are better odds of getting a average to good LT in the 2nd round, or maybe we will see Buffalo take a chance and get a Vet. I think McNeill would be great. If we see buffalo sign one free agent, why not him.

Since we know of three real problems, and several little problems.

why not tade back into the 1st. if Buffalo is lucky enough to get Clauson with the 9th pick, why not give up the 2nd and whitner and/or Lynch to move back into the 1st add a 2nd in 2011 if this is not enough. there has to be a team looking for a RB or safety at the end of the 1st round. then Buffalo could draft trent williams or Campbell.

1-Jimmy clauson

1b- Bruce Campbell

3- Rob Gronkowski TE-injuries will make him fall

4-Freddie Barnes-6' 210 WR-155 catches in one season

5-Jared Veldheer-6'8" 321 pound OT-youtube his clean press

6-back up Running back

address defense with free agents

Derrick Johnson-should want out of KC

Keith Bulluck-you have to take chances on Vets he has time left in this league

Kyle Vanden Bosch-to play LE had 3 sacks last year, but made the pro bowl after drop outs.

QB

To quote Sandra Bullock from The Blind Side

"As a home owner, the first check you write is for your mortgage, and the second one your write is for the insurance

yup...write those mortgages checks and watch Hurricane Katrina blow your investment away...See Harrington, Carr.

How on earth is this even a question? First is there a franchise qb in the mix this season? NO WAY. Second, even if there were such a qb who is going to make it to #9 how quickly will that qb be making a difference with no pass protection? Third, a rookie qb facing first rate defenses and blitzes with no one to help is a sure way to insure a very short career.

Great teams are built from the trenches back.

QB, by a lot.

By now, most of you have seen the points I've made on the subject, but once more couldn't hurt.

In 2009, 5 of the 10 most sacked QBs in the league lead 5 of the 10 best passing offenses in the league (Rodgers, Roethlisberger, Romo, McNabb, Favre).

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?arc...mp;d-447263-p=1

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tab...mp;d-447263-n=1

If it "all starts up front", like many here claim, there's no way that would be the case. To further drive the point home, take a look at the rushing offenses of those teams:

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?arc...e&Submit=Go

Of the 5 teams for which those QBs play, only 1 (Dallas) ranked in the top 10 in rushing yards per game, while the next best (Minnesota) outgained Buffalo by a measley 3.2 ypg.

I think that the stats make it pretty obvious what's driving the offenses here...the QB. But I don't like to only look at one side of the coin, so let's use my favorite example: Tennessee.

The Titans ranked 2nd overall in rushing yards per game (an indication that they have an elite run-blocking line) and gave up the 2nd fewest sacks in the NFL (an indication that they have an elite pass blocking line), yet they started the season 0-6 with Kerry Collins at the helm.

They switched out one player, only one, bringing in Vince Young at QB, and all of a sudden they were on fire! They went 9-1 the rest of the way...if that doesn't make the case of how much more important a QB is than the offensive line, then I'm not sure what will.

As always, I welcome anyone that can make the case as strongly for the other side to do so...the floor is yours.

I say QB.

I think mistakes can more easily be hidden by exceptional QB play than the opposite. Find a franchise trigger-man and build around him.

The egg came before the chicken.

This stupid subject has been beaten to death. There are no obvious franchise quarterbacks available in the draft. There are a number of offensive and defensive lineman that have a greater chance of being pro bowlers than the QBs out there. Therefore, the QB question is moot. End of story. :worthy:

And with the #9 pick of the NFL draft, the Buffalo Bills select Eric Berry, Safety, Tennessee. :worthy:

I appreciate the thought. Eric Berry is a top five pick in my opinion, but as I suspect you were pointing out...not the guy for the bills even if he falls to nine. Anthony Davis or Baluga are the two we should be hoping to get. Left tackle first.

If he is an All-Pro for the next 10 years then that would be a great pick.

If, and it's always a big IF, then yeah he would be - for anyone but the Bills, who have sufficient depth at the position but have glaring needs at LT, DT, DE, LB, and QB.

Then again, it's always a big IF. As Buddy Nix stated in this morning's Buffalo Snooze, scouting is an "inexact science". And even if it weren't, sometimes positional needs trumps best athlete available. To take it to the extreme, it wouldn't make sense to keep drafting a QB in the first round every year - even IF he was the best athlete available, right? (Presumably that's why the Bills didn't draft Matt Leinart in '06 - they had used a 1st round pick on Losman just 2 years earlier, and thought their other needs were greater.)

Now, of course, the Bills will go and pick Berry... :lol:

I appreciate the thought. Eric Berry is a top five pick in my opinion, but as I suspect you were pointing out...not the guy for the bills even if he falls to nine. Anthony Davis or Baluga are the two we should be hoping to get. Left tackle first.

Absolutely agree, and if you read today's Buffalo News article about Buddy Nix (linked on TBD's home page) -

"It's based on a body of work," Nix said. "If you get a guy who's always done it, I think he'll continue to do it. These one-year wonders who you think nobody else has found? They're probably going to get you in trouble...

The Bills can only hope Nix has as much success scouting in Buffalo as he did in his last gig, as chief college scout in San Diego, from 2001 to '07. The Chargers have been an NFL power this decade. The ultimate example of Nix's don't-gamble, proven-commodity approach was quarterback Philip Rivers, whom the Chargers acquired in 2004.

"He had 51 starts [in college], and he played in a bowl game every year, and he was the most valuable player in every bowl game he ever played in," Nix said.

... it doesn't sound like Nix is inclined to gamble this year's first-round pick on any of the junior QBs (Clausen, Bradford) looking to hit paydirt in this year's draft. In fact, it sounds like he'd be more inclined to draft Tebow, or just stick with Brian Brohm and build an o-line that will allow him to stay upright long enough to find Lee Evans and [insert Terrell Owens or his replacement] down field.

I agree with all those that say draft Anthony Davis or Bryan Bulaga in round one, THEN start thinking 'best athlete available' - a DT or LB in round 2, maybe - MAYBE - take a risk with Tebow in round 3 or 4 if he's there. Personally, I'd take Davis/Bulaga in round one, then come back in the later rounds and take Adam Ulatoski. Get some depth at LT, and take guys with character. (Just imagine someone with Jason Peter's raw talent, that isn't a half-ass slacker with an attitude problem.)

GO BILLSSS!!!!

REVERSE THE CURSE!!!!! :lol:

I say QB.

I think mistakes can more easily be hidden by exceptional QB play than the opposite. Find a franchise trigger-man and build around him.

You draft the franchise QB if he's available but you don't start him until you have a line that can protect him.

QB, by a lot.

By now, most of you have seen the points I've made on the subject, but once more couldn't hurt.

In 2009, 5 of the 10 most sacked QBs in the league lead 5 of the 10 best passing offenses in the league (Rodgers, Roethlisberger, Romo, McNabb, Favre).

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?arc...mp;d-447263-p=1

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tab...mp;d-447263-n=1

If it "all starts up front", like many here claim, there's no way that would be the case. To further drive the point home, take a look at the rushing offenses of those teams:

Of the 5 teams for which those QBs play, only 1 (Dallas) ranked in the top 10 in rushing yards per game, while the next best (Minnesota) outgained Buffalo by a measley 3.2 ypg.

I think that the stats make it pretty obvious what's driving the offenses here...the QB. But I don't like to only look at one side of the coin, so let's use my favorite example: Tennessee.

The Titans ranked 2nd overall in rushing yards per game (an indication that they have an elite run-blocking line) and gave up the 2nd fewest sacks in the NFL (an indication that they have an elite pass blocking line), yet they started the season 0-6 with Kerry Collins at the helm.

They switched out one player, only one, bringing in Vince Young at QB, and all of a sudden they were on fire! They went 9-1 the rest of the way...if that doesn't make the case of how much more important a QB is than the offensive line, then I'm not sure what will.

As always, I welcome anyone that can make the case as strongly for the other side to do so...the floor is yours.

It is clear to me that you are myopic and only see what you want to see, not that big a deal because even coaches like Jauron see things your way.

Consider this concerning Tenn, the defense had a new DC who was promoted to that position and did a horrid job with the defense until Jeff Fisher stepped in and helped him with it. The Titans also got back several defensive players from Injuries around the same time, like their all pro CB Cortland Finnegin. The Titans were beaten 59-0 at the Patriots just before the bye week and there was serious talk of Fisher being fired.

Although I'm not denying that Vince Young help spark the team with his running and throwing, but the entire team played better after that bye week. The defense only allowed 17 pts per game after that embarrassing NE blowout loss. With even the threat of a halfway decent QB behind the line it opened up both the passing game and running game. Lets not forget that Chris Johnson had over 2000 yards rushing and was named the AP offensive player of the year. Tenn also has one of the most dominate offensive lines in the NFL and an amazing running attack.

So at first glance it might appear that Vince Young was the sole reason for the Titans going on that tear after the bye week, he wasn't. Also,Kerry Collins just might have hit that proverbial "wall" after 16 years in the NFL.