Random Thoughts About Our Offensive Line

clancynut

I read Tim Graham's thoughts in his AFC East Blog yesterday about Nick Mangold and his ability to block nose tackles such as Wilfork without assistance. I noticed that his size and intelligence are the same as Eric Wood. Would the Bills be better off to move Wood to center, his natural position, and move Hangartner to guard. Levitre played tackle in college and did a good job with the Bills at spot duty this year. Incognito could be resigned as the other guard. I wasn't overly impressed with Butler as a starter, but I think he is great as a back up at two positions.

So the line could look something like this:

RT: Levitre

RG: Incognito

C: Wood

LG: Hangartner

LT: 1st round pick

I think we would have some maulers for run blocking and some great pass protection.

It's going to be interesting. I think we need to go LT in the draft. We should be able to pick up a solid LT. Butler did well as RT so I'll leave him there. Center is an issue... Eric Wood could move there. Hangman may be the oddman out.

Draft the QB...until we have this figured out it doesn't matter what else we draft, we will still suck

I read Tim Graham's thoughts in his AFC East Blog yesterday about Nick Mangold and his ability to block nose tackles such as Wilfork without assistance. I noticed that his size and intelligence are the same as Eric Wood. Would the Bills be better off to move Wood to center, his natural position, and move Hangartner to guard. Levitre played tackle in college and did a good job with the Bills at spot duty this year. Incognito could be resigned as the other guard. I wasn't overly impressed with Butler as a starter, but I think he is great as a back up at two positions.

So the line could look something like this:

RT: Levitre

RG: Incognito

C: Wood

LG: Hangartner

LT: 1st round pick

I think we would have some maulers for run blocking and some great pass protection.

The OL is fine. We need better conditioning to they aren't on IR. We have a damn solid OL if they have a better QUARTERBACK behind them that can deliver the damn ball

I'd prefer a veteran LT like SD's M. McNeil. Nix could bring him in. The middle of the O-line is pretty solid. Wood, Incogmito, Levitre, Hangartner, Simmons, and Butler are all good players. What we need are BIG OTs who we can depend upon. We especially need a veteran LT who we can count on. Levitre is too small to play RT IMHO.

I'd like to see Nix go after McNeil to play LT and then a R1 or R2 pick to play RT. We would then have D. Bell to backup both OT positions. Butler and Levitre would both be additional backups. J. Scott may also play into the mix as a potential OT backup.

Our best starting O-line for next year IMHO:

LT M. McNeil

LG Levitre (coaches considered him our best OL this past year)

OC Wood (Hangartner is good, but not as strong as Wood, who I think could become a Pro Bowl OC)

RG Incognito (an absolute steal from the Rams)

RT R1 or R2 mauler.

Key backups would be:

Bell (LT and RT)

Hangartner (backup OC)

Butler (backup OG and RT)

Simmons (backup OG)

J. Scott (backup LT and RT).

If we can't get a stud QB at #9 overall then I think we should try to trade down in R1 and pick a second R1 pick, then use the two R1 picks to select a stud RT and QB (eventual starter).

lmao, until we figure out the line situation it doesn't matter what else we draft, we will still suck

Ben Roethlesberger and Aaron Rodgers proved this to be untrue. They were among the most sacked and hit QBs over the past few years because their line didn't protect them well, but they still made plays and played well. This is among the biggest fallacies bandied about---you HAVE to have a good OLine to have a good QB.

Simply untrue.

Assuming everyone is healthy I agree that 4/5 of the starters are solid and have some good backups for depth. Bell is questionable. When the rest of the original starters were playing he looked OK, maybe could have improved to become decent, but not certain either he's good enough to be a starting at LT. I think we'd be better in the long run geting a better LT, but would be fine with keeping bell around for depth.

All things considered while it's unlikely for a rookie to come in at LT and look great immediatley I don't think our O-line is in terrible shape.

The biggest problems we currently have is QB and overall front seven on D One good outside linebacker, (could it be Maybin?) solidifies you there and one good DE/ and/or DT.

The OL is fine. We need better conditioning to they aren't on IR. We have a damn solid OL if they have a better QUARTERBACK behind them that can deliver the damn ball

Assuming everyone is healthy I agree that 4/5 of the starters are solid and have some good backups for depth. Bell is questionable. When the rest of the original starters were playing he looked OK, maybe could have improved to become decent, but not certain either he's good enough to be a starting at LT. I think we'd be better in the long run geting a better LT, but would be fine with keeping bell around for depth.

All things considered while it's unlikely for a rookie to come in at LT and look great immediatley I don't think our O-line is in terrible shape.

The biggest problems we currently have is QB and overall front seven on D One good outside linebacker, (could it be Maybin?) solidifies you there and one good DE/ and/or DT.

Exactly we need a QB. Since 1996 we haven't any anyone worth a damn out there.