Computer/network help

geggytah

So I bought this fully loaded desktop from gateway (i know i know, but i got a great deal!) about a month back and other than having to upgrade to win7 I haven't had to do anything major with it. About a week after I upgraded to win7 (2 days ago) I could not connect to the internet at all - which clearly means that the upgrade had nothing to do with the problem. Other computers on my network are fine so its not the connection, the ethernet cable is working fine, the LAN card is working fine according to my device manager, etc... I was stumped so just to make sure it wasn't win7 I wiped my HD and downgraded to vista, and the problem persists. I've uninstalled and then reinstalled the drivers for the LAN....ugh. Seriously all components appear to be working fine, yet the end result of connecting to the internet just isn't happening. When I mouse over the LAN icon in the system tray it says local access only. HELP!

disable the network adapter and enable it again immediately afterwards. The network connection is then identified correctly for some reason

been there done that...thanks again for the suggestion...please keep 'em coming people!

So I bought this fully loaded desktop from gateway (i know i know, but i got a great deal!) about a month back and other than having to upgrade to win7 I haven't had to do anything major with it. About a week after I upgraded to win7 (2 days ago) I could not connect to the internet at all - which clearly means that the upgrade had nothing to do with the problem. Other computers on my network are fine so its not the connection, the ethernet cable is working fine, the LAN card is working fine according to my device manager, etc... I was stumped so just to make sure it wasn't win7 I wiped my HD and downgraded to vista, and the problem persists. I've uninstalled and then reinstalled the drivers for the LAN....ugh. Seriously all components appear to be working fine, yet the end result of connecting to the internet just isn't happening. When I mouse over the LAN icon in the system tray it says local access only. HELP!

Try this.

Can we assume you swapped it with a known working cable?

Did you google your make and model to see if others are having the same problem? (like possible hardware failure)

Some out of the box suggestions:

Assuming you are behind a router, do you have admin access to it?

If so, check to make sure somebody else hasn't accessed it, and blocked your box.

Try rebooting your router. (long shot, but suggesting it based on personal experience with a similar problem).

Can we assume you swapped it with a known working cable?

Did you google your make and model to see if others are having the same problem? (like possible hardware failure)

Some out of the box suggestions:

Assuming you are behind a router, do you have admin access to it?

If so, check to make sure somebody else hasn't accessed it, and blocked your box.

Try rebooting your router. (long shot, but suggesting it based on personal experience with a similar problem).

yes cable works

no known issues with my make/model

router has been rebooted

router isn't the issue because the issue is the same when i go straight from my modem to the desktop with no router connected

thanks for the attempt

Have you checked your security settings? Sometimes Norton can cause conflicts? If you've uninstalled Norton, run the Norton Removal tool.

What about firewall settings? Make sure they're all off and retry.

Turn off all file and print sharing

Unplug all network cables and eactivate your card: Go to Run> CMD. Type "route print". Make sure all you don't have a destination of 0.0.0.0 If so, type :"route delete 0.0.0.0". Reconnect/enable and try again.

Try disabling IPv 6 completely.

Two other links to try:

Link 1

Link 2

May have to just break down and try a new netwrok card.

Have you checked your security settings? Sometimes Norton can cause conflicts? If you've uninstalled Norton, run the Norton Removal tool.

What about firewall settings? Make sure they're all off and retry.

Turn off all file and print sharing

Unplug all network cables and eactivate your card: Go to Run> CMD. Type "route print". Make sure all you don't have a destination of 0.0.0.0 If so, type :"route delete 0.0.0.0". Reconnect/enable and try again.

Try disabling IPv 6 completely.

Two other links to try:

Link 1

Link 2

May have to just break down and try a new netwrok card.

well i was just about to give this a shot when i went to the computer and saw that vista sp2 updates had downloaded...so clearly a connection is being made, however i still cannot connect to the internet. when running an ip config i also am only getting the default windows ip address and not an ip from my modem and/or router - but like i said the sp2 update d/led. i'm more confused than ever

guess i'll try the steps outlined above for the hell of it

when running an ip config i also am only getting the default windows ip address

What do you mean by "a default windows ip address?" Windows doesn't have a default IP address....

Or are you talking about the generic IP that comes up when you can't get a DHCP address?

Have you tried hard coding the IP, gateway, and DNS servers by hand?

What do you mean by "a default windows ip address?" Windows doesn't have a default IP address....

Or are you talking about the generic IP that comes up when you can't get a DHCP address?

Have you tried hard coding the IP, gateway, and DNS servers by hand?

yes the generic/default windows IP address

and no i haven't tried hardcoding...how might i do that (i know where to put the info but where do i get the info?)

yes the generic/default windows IP address

and no i haven't tried hardcoding...how might i do that (i know where to put the info but where do i get the info?)

FWIW, here's a link to Gateway, discussing internet connection problems:

http://support.gateway.com/s/Checklists/BP...007021226.shtml

Also, for this or that problem through the years, I've knocked off processes via Task Manager to see if I could find an offending process.

MS has a utility that is more extensive than TM...Process Explorer.

I posted a link to it over on the Consumer Forum.

I used to support VPN users for my company and your problem sounds familiar, check to see if you NIC is being used as an internet gateway or has some sort of bridged connection. This would prevent your internet connection.

I used to support VPN users for my company and your problem sounds familiar, check to see if you NIC is being used as an internet gateway or has some sort of bridged connection. This would prevent your internet connection.

Recently, I set up a wireless connection, and that was displayed on the Network Connections panel. I've no idea what I did to have that happen. I also experienced a lack of connection with wired connectivity. So I deleted it.

My guess is that xp was trying to "help" me, somehow... :lol:

the only connection that shows up in the connection manager is my gigabit ethernet card with no bridges. is that what you are implying that i look for?

FWIW, here's a link to Gateway, discussing internet connection problems:

http://support.gateway.com/s/Checklists/BP...007021226.shtml

Also, for this or that problem through the years, I've knocked off processes via Task Manager to see if I could find an offending process.

MS has a utility that is more extensive than TM...Process Explorer.

I posted a link to it over on the Consumer Forum.

i did wipe the HD and reinstall the OS (after the problem started, so the problem isnt on the OS install), so there shouldn't be anything in the TM that is affecting it

i did wipe the HD and reinstall the OS (after the problem started, so the problem isnt on the OS install), so there shouldn't be anything in the TM that is affecting it

Not necessarily...knock 'em off one at a time.

Bad OS install disk? Have you tried booting from a cd?

Have you run CHKDSK?

Set up the BIOS to give POST tones?

http://support.gateway.com/s/Servers/COMPO...59199faq2.shtml

Gone to a word processor, and insured that all the KYB characters work - lower and upper caps?