Why does EVERYONE hate Gailey?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...-brian-billick/ = read the comments

Every team he has ever been on had a winning season...

I don't understand why this was a bad move!

Someone please fill me in :unsure:

OK.. Read this carefully. People don't hate Chan Galey. Nice guy, decent coach. The problem is that once again the Bill's choose not to hire the best available coach. There are several more qualified coaches who would have come to Buffalo if interviewed and asked.

Marty S., Brian B., Leslie F., I'm positive that there are several other qualified coaches available. But once again. We are forced to settle.

Chan Gailey is a better choice than an unproven Frazier, B. Schott, Harbaugh or some dude from the CFL. If Cowher recommends and JJ regrets letting him go, then you cannot discredit him just on that fact he's not Cowher, Shanny, etc.

Be realistic. This guy was one of the most coveted OC's/HC's and chose college instead. This choice is better than any coach we've had in the past decade, and if this were 5 years ago we'd all be praising this selection.

And as for not picking Marty or Billick. Good call on that b/c that had disappointment written all over it.

I like the the decision, and just waiting for the final assessment on his coaching staff, the draft and FA pick-ups. Plus, you know he's going to have a fire under his butt to prove everyone wrong. I like a guy who needs to prove himself -- not like Mularkey, Williams or Jauron.

Sorry to add to my own response, but don't be surprised if Buddy doesn't bring in Marty for consulting aide. Their relationship is much stronger than has been reported. In my view, that's the best way Marty can be utilized to help the Bills.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...-brian-billick/ = read the comments

I think that we were all pumped up for the possibility of the team landing a big name coach that anything less than a Cowher/Billick/Shotty is viewed as some sort of failure.

I actually think its the best move we made in a long time.

I think that we were all pumped up for the possibility of the team landing a big name coach that anything less than a Cowher/Billick/Shotty is viewed as some sort of failure.

I agree completely. I like the combo of gm and coach that are in place. I also would have liked Billick...not so much with Cowher. I think no matter what the case, even if it were Billick that was hired, the masses would still grumble. When his name was mentioned a couple weeks ago there were quite a few here that hated that idea. For some it was Cowher or Shanahan or nothing.

I agree too - and we would have been disappointed by any of these guys with unrealistic expectations. My problem is I always get faked out by thinking we are always a couple of years away from a good team. We do need to rebuild, but we have to have a short plan!

Quite simply, too many people don't like the Chan Gailey because he is not a marquis name. He's not Marty Schottenheimer, he's not Bill Cohwer, he's not Knute Rockne, he's not this season's hot coordinator. In other words, he's not the "easy" choice. A few years ago, the Washington NFL team with the racist name hired Joe Gibbs for a second go-round. That was a great marketing move. Everyone in DC envisioned a return to the glory days. Unfortunately, it was a terrible decision for the team and for Joe Gibbs, who only tarnished his reputation. In a way it reminds me of what corporate IT people called the "IBM" syndrome back in the 1980s. Corporate types would pick IBM for their computer needs and if it turned out badly, they'd say "But it was IBM, how could we know they couldn't do the job?"

As for me, I'll wait and see. Gailey seems to be a decent offensive mind. If he and Buddy pick a good defensive coordinator and staff, pick some good talent in the draft and free agency, then we could have a good team again.

If that happens I'll be happy. If if doesn't -- as Scarlett O'Hara says in Gone with the Wind, "tomorrow will be another day."

OK.. Read this carefully. People don't hate Chan Galey. Nice guy, decent coach. The problem is that once again the Bill's choose not to hire the best available coach. There are several more qualified coaches who would have come to Buffalo if interviewed and asked.

Marty S., Brian B., Leslie F., I'm positive that there are several other qualified coaches available. But once again. We are forced to settle.

Devil's advocate here: It is a good thing to have a HC/GM combination that can work together, has the same vision, and will work together -- you know teamwork -- than hire a "big name" coach that could not work with the GM or hire a newbie HC that is basically a puppet of the dictator.

The Buffalo Bills have a massive image problem, with the NFL in general, the media, and even with their own fans. It wouldn't hurt if their front office bought a clue on that major problem and tried to correct it. Smithers is supposed to be the slick willy salesman, why isn't he mugging for the cameras and front and center for the press?

I think there is backlash because (i) Bills fired Jauron early and trumped up significant changes were on horizon; (ii) Bills went on marketing mode to pitch the possibility of Cowher, Shanahan, etc and a bunch of other big names; and (iii) in the ultimate let down, they chose a guy that fell far short of what they were marketing. Kind of like saying you'll buy your girl friend a Ferrari and ultimately buying her a Pinto instead.

It's the Bills fault for promoting the promise of a new day with big names that ultimately didn't want to come here and the possibility of a GM that would change the culture. Not sure if they accomplished either of those promises.

But I am going to support Nix and Gailey come what may and hope for the best (Pintos did have a good 10 year run back in the day).

I`m old enough to remember the Levy hiring. Let me tell you it wasn`t well liked either. Hiring and old worn out coach from canada.Yeah some KC coaching exp. Give the man a chance. It`s not like you can do anything about it. He is here until Ralph is gone . All I can say is deal with it OR find another team.

Even the Imus in the morning show has been mocking the hire. Personally, I think it's going to work simply because the entire world thinks it won't.