Billick never got a call.

Lori

Is Gailey unquestionably that much greater than Billick, Schottenheimer, Martz, Fassel, etc... that those guys didnt even warrant an interview? Wouldnt it be productive to hear what these guys had to say regarding the current roster and direction of the team?

I think one of things that gets overlooked is the chemistry between the GM and HC. We hear it a lot when talking about the team itself, but you have to have a GM and HC who have the same idea of what to put on the field. There is also a lot we don't know (I know it's hard to believe) about what goes on over at OBD. They may have plenty of info about the personalities of the various HC candidates and may not have interviewed them simply because they knew they wouldn't fit in with what Ralph wants or what Buddy Nix wants. The GM, HC and owner have to be able to get along. Donohoe and Cowher had a dustup, Donohoe got fired. A.J. Smith and Marty S. had a dustup, Marty got fired. Why bother looking at someone if you don't think you can work with him in the first place?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

But Gailey's still been in the business for all of that time, Todd Haley's "August Surprise" notwithstanding. Billick's spent the last two years in the broadcast booth, and now it sounds like that's not by his own choice. Why?

Any number of reasons could fit, not just "he sucks". My point was merely that an argument drawn from an absence of information is pointless.

:blink:

is this guy on something?

highest scoring offense in history? isnt that the pats*?

and as for the defense, he can thank marvin lewis for that.

10 wins a year? didnt he go 8-8 his first year and 5-11 in 2007 costing him his job?

He won 80 regular season games in 9 years. To his credit, he didn't add "and mathematical genius" to his list of self-proclaimed accomplishments.

LOL -- tell that to Jerry Sullivan.

Sort of a vicious circle, though, isn't it?

One side tries not to divulge any information because it might be used against them. So the other side, doing his job, can't get any clarification and gets frustrated and negative. So the first side gets more insular and hides deeper in their spider hole. So there is even less information fueling more frustration, and observers take sides blaming the other side for the situation.

I watched the press conference and it seems encouraging for now....however, with all the cocksure bluster coming from Buddy Nix, nothing less than being in the mix for a wild-card spot will do.

But you folks who believe that ultimately this is not more of the same are delusional. How many whiffs on hires do you need to see? I am at three and counting. Wade Phillips was the last legit head coach that we had.

Of course Buddy Nix is high on Chan, Chan is a good guy and one hell of a football coach. But Buddy needs the security of a less threatening figure. Marty, closer in age and intellect to Nix would have been more inclined to challenge buddy than Chan is going to be, this thing really boils down to who would you prefer more the Buddy show or the Marty show. This is NOT Chan versus Marty make no mistake about that. All the pressure is on Buddy Nix. Gailey gets a decently fat paycheck that he was never expecting to get at this stage of his career....and if it don't work out? Aw, shucks, he can slip back into relative obscurity again a much wealthier man.

Buddy is cocky, can he back it up with an 8-10 win season? Anything less and you folks are crazy to accept it...

Even better, the Bills were the first NFL team in 11 years to call on Gailey. You know what they say...washed up coaches, like fine wines, only get better with age.

That is actually kind of a dumb thing to say when you consider that the Steelers interviewed him for their HC job after Cowher retired.

Also, I am guessing that Billick not getting called had something to do with him ripping the city and the team with his "who would want to go coach in Buffalo" comment.

We got a guy who will turn our offense around (made the best out of Tomzcak, Kordell, and Thigpen), lets see what he can do with the team instead of just whining about it.

That is actually kind of a dumb thing to say when you consider that the Steelers interviewed him for their HC job after Cowher retired. Also, I am guessing that Billick not getting called had something to do with him ripping the city and the team with his "who would want to go coach in Buffalo" comment.

We got a guy who will turn our offense around (made the best out of Tomzcak, Kordell, and Thigpen), lets see what he can do with the team instead of just whining about it.

Let's go Bills! Let's go Bills! BILLIEVE!! BILLIEVE!!

Pants on the ground.

Sort of a vicious circle, though, isn't it?

One side tries not to divulge any information because it might be used against them. So the other side, doing his job, can't get any clarification and gets frustrated and negative. So the first side gets more insular and hides deeper in their spider hole. So there is even less information fueling more frustration, and observers take sides blaming the other side for the situation.

Sure it is. I just wonder how much "effort" Sully put into his research.

So whenever someone points out the flaws in your reasoning, you are just going to say "Pants on the ground" ??? Nice.

Actually, it's when someone's argument is so inept I feel compelled to let them know they're looking like a fool with their pants on the ground. Yes, I agree it's nice of me.

Actually, it's when someone's argument is so inept I feel compelled to let them know they're looking like a fool with their pants on the ground. Yes, I agree it's nice of me.

Nah, you are right, it is pretty inept to point out the fact that if the guy hates on the city, and hates on the team, that there is a pretty good chance that it might be the reason we didn't call him.