I'm expecting Jim Bates to be named the DC.

Tipster19

The list in that Wiki cite, as usual, is incorrect. Instead of returning to Cleveland, Bates was indeed with Gailey in Dallas from 1998-99. Not the DC, though -- he was the LB coach, but Gailey promoted him to assistant HC/d-line when he took over.

Him and Gailey careers have intertwined. Bates was his DC when Gailey was Dallas' HC.

Don't be so sure:

Gailey was on local sports talk radio in Atlanta this afternoon with Dan Reeves. Nice interview between two old football coaches.

Anyway, after the interview, one of the hosts (former Georgia QB from the Herschel Walker days Buck Belue) said he had heard a rumor that Gailey was interested in George Edwards as Def. Coordinator. Maybe he's reading ESPN Insider, not sure - maybe he had a legitimate source.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Bates_(American_football)

Team(s) as a coach/administrator

1991–1994

1994–1995

1995–2000

2000–2004

2007–2008

Cleveland Browns

Atlanta Falcons

Cleveland Browns

Miami Dolphins

Green Bay Packers

Denver Broncos

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Wiki is only showing NFL. He coached a long time before 1991. He was the head coach of San Antonio in the USFL's last season in 1985.

" Bates began his coaching career as a graduate assistant at his alma mater, Tennessee, in 1968. He later had stops at Southern Mississippi, Villanova, Kansas State, West Virginia and Texas Tech. After working for three seasons in the USFL with the San Antonio Gunslingers (for whom he was the head coach in 1985) and the Arizona Outlaws, Bates returned to the collegiate level at Tennessee in 1989 and then Florida in 1990."

http://www.buccaneers.com/news/newsdetail.aspx?newsid=6922

Wasn't Edwards just hired as Florida's DC?

Yes, but given the recent history of college coaches jumping for better jobs, I wouldn't be surprised if he took an NFL job over college if given the chance.

anyone know who george edwards is and what system he runs?

I believe the only time he was a DC in the NFL was the Redskins in 2003 (when Spurrier was there). I don't think the defense was very good. I can't recall their style, but it was one of the years that Lavar Arrington was a beast for them