Playoff Obversations

They are the only team left that does NOT play in a dome. Lucky missed FGs aside, they are where they are because of a strong OL, running game, and defense. In other words, they are a team that, unlike the Bills, is built for their surroundings.

The above tells me that while I do concede that the NFL has in fact become a "passing league," there is a place for a football team to win with the basics, and a cold climate is the place to do this.

Hopefully Nix, unlike the inferior football minds who were running this team for the last 4 years, will see this and start the process of making the Bills a tough, blue collar team, because it is clear that this is the way to have any chance at winning in WNY.

They are the only team left that does NOT play in a dome. Lucky missed FGs aside, they are where they are because of a strong OL, running game, and defense. In other words, they are a team that, unlike the Bills, is built for their surroundings.

The above tells me that while I do concede that the NFL has in fact become a "passing league," there is a place for a football team to win with the basics, and a cold climate is the place to do this.

Hopefully Nix, unlike the inferior football minds who were running this team for the last 4 years, will see this and start the process of making the Bills a tough, blue collar team, because it is clear that this is the way to have any chance at winning in WNY.

true dat. one of the announcers commented yesterday that the jets o-line has played two consecutive years together without significant injury. that's pretty impressive (and lucky) and it shows.

let's hope Nix gets it going on.

To be fair their best defensive player is a corner, they're just ok against the run, and they rely on their schemes/blitz to pressure the QB. They do seem to realize the importance of the OL better than us, true; but so does just about every other team.

To be fair their best defensive player might be a DT on IR after 6 games. This team is built the way BillfromNYC likes and it is reaping the rewards. The fact that they have done this without Jenkins, without Washington, with a first year head coach, and rookie QB is nothing short of amazing.

I can't imagine this defense with Kris Jenkins.

agree. I think the road to respectability for the Bills should be a similar path to the Jet. I envy the OL that the Jets have. That line gives them a chance to win and to develop Sanchez.

First you have to build the OL to enable a running game and to give you a prayer at developing a QB. We need a punishing OL with a power fullback and a strong TE. We play half the season in cold windy weather and 2 of our 3 divison foes have the same weather we do. We should be a running team first. I don't know why Donahoe, Levy, Brandon, etc., didn't see this?

You then build a physical defense. Defense still wins in the NFL. Lets get some nasty players on the front 7.

The Super Bowl Bills of the 90's had a big and talented OL that won games in bad weather. This group was largely responsible for the sucess of our "skill" players, several of which are in the HoF. On defense we had Smith, Talley and Bennett ... have have no players of that caliber today.

Build a team to match the city, the stadium and the weather. Blue collar tough.

To be fair their best defensive player might be a DT on IR after 6 games. This team is built the way BillfromNYC likes and it is reaping the rewards. The fact that they have done this without Jenkins, without Washington, with a first year head coach, and rookie QB is nothing short of amazing.

I can't imagine this defense with Kris Jenkins.

Imo a healthy Jenkins is one of the best players in the NFL, and you sir are correct; this is the way I prefer to build a team. Sure, they took a first round corner, but not until more important positions were solidified.

Re RK: Imo a "blue collar" team is one on which it's best players are big and tough, able to out muscle their opponents. Three of our recent first picks of a draft were Parrish, Whittner and McKelvin. Last year we took a DE who is built like a small to average size linebacker. This is why we lose. Bigger, stronger teams overpower us up front because our team was built and managed by the senile and inept.

agree. I think the road to respectability for the Bills should be a similar path to the Jet. I envy the OL that the Jets have. That line gives them a chance to win and to develop Sanchez.

First you have to build the OL to enable a running game and to give you a prayer at developing a QB. We need a punishing OL with a power fullback and a strong TE. We play half the season in cold windy weather and 2 of our 3 divison foes have the same weather we do. We should be a running team first. I don't know why Donahoe, Levy, Brandon, etc., didn't see this?

You then build a physical defense. Defense still wins in the NFL. Lets get some nasty players on the front 7.

The Super Bowl Bills of the 90's had a big and talented OL that won games in bad weather. This group was largely responsible for the sucess of our "skill" players, several of which are in the HoF. On defense we had Smith, Talley and Bennett ... have have no players of that caliber today.

Build a team to match the city, the stadium and the weather. Blue collar tough.

All true enough, and Bill is spot on as usual. Though remember, the 90s Bills were also criticized for having a DL that was too small and was easily pushed around in big games by monster Olines such as NYG, Wash, and Dallas... no one is perfect.