Only 11 Minutes of Action in an NFL game

Tolstoy

Thanks for the info, but this is not news as much as a refresher. Every ten years or so someone writes a story about this. Last time I read there were about 12 minutes of action. Doesn't seem like much, but 12 minutes of violence is a lot. The action is not long, but there is more REAL action in a football game than a soccer match.

I often watch DirecTV "Shortcuts" of games, which is most or all of the snaps from each game each week, condensed down to a :30 minutes showing of snap-to-whistle with all of the "fluff" removed. I think the main point of the OP is correct: there is relatively little action compared to the overall time watching the game. But, I have a hard time seeing how 11 minutes could be the correct total.

About half of the "Shortcuts" I watch have one or more plays removed to fit in the time slot. I bet there's about 2-3 minutes of fluff in each showing including showing the title in the begining, stats after each quarter, and the refs calling important penalties. They do show a couple seconds after many plays where someone has run out of bounds or a pass bounces incomplete before the next snap. Still, I don't see how you could get down to 11 minutes without removing time when passes are in the air....

And there is constant action in soccer yet it bores the hell out of me. Football is the greatest sport ever invented and it's not really close.

American football is played in the United States. The USA has about 312 million people. World football (soccer) is played in every country of the world. The world has almost 7 billion people.

There is simply no comparison. World football is not understood by the vast majority of Americans. Even kids who played a little in school have no idea about the skills and tactics of the game.

It is understandable that most Americans find it boring because they don't know what to look for and what tactics and skills are involved. It is kind of like reading a book in a language you don't understand. You put it down real fast.

I always find it humorous when world football is looked down upon by people who have no idea about the sport. Did you ever watch the guys on Around the Horn or PTI talk about soccer? Complete ignorance is hilarious when you see it!

"Football is the greatest sport ever invented and it's not really close." You are right, but you have the wrong football. The world's game is football. The American game is more throwball and stand around and do nothing ball between commercials and stoppages.

I watch American football only on a DVR and a complete game takes less than a half hour. Thank goodness.

American football is played in the United States. The USA has about 312 million people. World football (soccer) is played in every country of the world. The world has almost 7 billion people.

There is simply no comparison. World football is not understood by the vast majority of Americans. Even kids who played a little in school have no idea about the skills and tactics of the game.

It is understandable that most Americans find it boring because they don't know what to look for and what tactics and skills are involved. It is kind of like reading a book in a language you don't understand. You put it down real fast.

I always find it humorous when world football is looked down upon by people who have no idea about the sport. Did you ever watch the guys on Around the Horn or PTI talk about soccer? Complete ignorance is hilarious when you see it!

"Football is the greatest sport ever invented and it's not really close." You are right, but you have the wrong football. The world's game is football. The American game is more throwball and stand around and do nothing ball between commercials and stoppages.

I watch American football only on a DVR and a complete game takes less than a half hour. Thank goodness.

I agree with you--as a coach, player, and founder of an inner city soccer academy. But you probably just started a war. I'm putting on my helmet now. Incoming...

Drivel. There are great subtleties in all sports at the highest levels, so the defense that soccer's complexity can't be understood is nonsense. Truth is, soccer is a very simple and inclusive sport. It's relatively easy to participate in, which makes it so appealing to people of all nationalities, socio-economic status, etc.. That's why it's so popular. Not because it's remarkable or complex in nature. It's not. If it were, it would not be played by so many people and would not have the worldwide appeal it does. Simple as that.

Folks,

This is a story about either sheer marketing genius on the part of the NFL, or sheer stupidity on the part of the American public. We all know that NFL games have too many commercials, but this Wall Street Journal article brings out the numbers:

Average length of time the football is in play? 11 minutes

Average commercial time? 60 minutes

Average time with NFL players milling about or in huddle? 75 minutes

Cheerleaders? 3 seconds

What is amazing is that most of us, myself included, have made this coaching search a central preoccupation of our lives. A coach for a team that plays 11 minutes (8 minutes of it on defense!) on 16 Sundays throughout the year. I think I must be crazy.

Here is the article. See for yourself: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142405...sreel_lifeStyle

MLB games are >3 minutes.

This stuff always comes up every few years. Fine.

However, can someone do me a favor whenever they bring this up about football? Please time how long the ball is in play in baseball, and i mean in play, not the pitcher's wind-up, but anytime the ball is moving around.

Thank you.

Amazing then how football is great fun to watch and baseball is truly the most boring sport on the planet. Along with Soccer BTW, that is extremely boring as well.

Watching guys jog up and down a soccer field during play is so much more exciting than watching guys jog back to the huddle after a play.....

Im not sure what excites you, but getting into position to maybe tap a ball with my head just doesnt do it for me.

And second, the world loves football. Thast why I watched every bowl game this year in spanish on Mexican television. Thats why the NFL exports games to England and Mexico city.

And third, I hate that whole name thing. Football is football because thats what its called. Hockey isnt suacer on ice game, its hockey. Names are supposed to make it easier to relate to a thing or object, not be the deffinition of said thing or object.

And second, the world loves football. Thast why I watched every bowl game this year in spanish on Mexican television. Thats why the NFL exports games to England and Mexico city.

Wow, 100% not true. Have you ever been outside of North America? American football is a joke in Europe and the rest of the world. That's one reason why NFL Europe flopped. Some people go out of curiosity and the violence, but a lot of the people there are Americans (military etc.).

You are way off here.

I have seen the superbowl in Europe a few times. They show it live, because it starts at 11pm or later local time. Made for a very long Monday at work :w00t:

And third, I hate that whole name thing. Football is football because thats what its called. Hockey isnt suacer on ice game, its hockey. Names are supposed to make it easier to relate to a thing or object, not be the deffinition of said thing or object.

I do wish American football would have been named something else. Particularly since World football had been in existence long before American football. But it is what it is.

You don't like soccer, cool. A lot of Americans don't. I enjoy soccer and the Bills. The two are not mutually exclusive.

I always find conversing with Buffaloians on sports message boards to be a strange experience because they always use hockey as the point of comparison. I have to defend my love of hockey to midwesterners because they find it about as relevant as many of you find soccer. I would like to make a case for basketball here. When you learn the details of the game, there is as much of a chess match as in football with double screens, planned plays, motion, double teams, defensive rotation, etc... But the ball keeps moving and downtown is at a minimum. As someone who grew up in Buffalo, I never gave basketball much thought. It seemed as foreign as soccer. But spending 8 years in Bloomington, Indiana made me appreciate the game a lot.

I always find conversing with Buffaloians on sports message boards to be a strange experience because they always use hockey as the point of comparison. I have to defend my love of hockey to midwesterners because they find it about as relevant as many of you find soccer. I would like to make a case for basketball here. When you learn the details of the game, there is as much of a chess match as in football with double screens, planned plays, motion, double teams, defensive rotation, etc... But the ball keeps moving and downtown is at a minimum. As someone who grew up in Buffalo, I never gave basketball much thought. It seemed as foreign as soccer. But spending 8 years in Bloomington, Indiana made me appreciate the game a lot.

My main problem with basketball is that FOULING is a legit strategy. I think having the last few minutes of a close game be nothing more than a series of fouls followed by free throws, over and over and over again, to be mind numbing. I tend to ignore basketball until the playoffs start, then I watch a good portion of the games. I like the game, I just hate this particular aspect of it.