Mort Report: Coaches around NFL leary of too much owner interference.

Big Turk

Well said, fellas. Only one NFL head coaching job is available and no one even wants to interview for it? Is this not indicative that something is seriously wrong at the top of this franchise? This has nothing to do with Buffalo as a city and everything to do with a curmudgeon owner who impedes coaches and GMs from doing what they were hired to do. The NFL community is a small network where word travels quickly... if something is not right at a place, everyone will know in a matter of weeks. Yet, we the fans keep hoping for a miracle and dumping our money into a franchise that for the most part has been doomed to eternal mediocrity for the past 50 years under Wilson.

It seems to me that Wilson couldn't care less about winning at this stage in his life. He's simply trying to maximize the book value of his asset for the impending sale of the franchise to the highest bidder after his death in order to ensure that his estate makes the most possible money.

Good post.

It is true. Gil Brandt puts it that coaches across the NFL know what is going to happen 2 days before it happens, they are that well connected in their fraternity.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

So that's one call he made, which made sense at the time given the team's performance, and one that Wade wouldn't have made because he's got no backbone, and he's a meddler?
you think that event is a big selling point for a prospective coach, especially a big name one? "I'd really like rw to overule me on who starts at qb for a playoff game." Yeah, I'll bet cowher or shanahan would love that.

you think that event is a big selling point for a prospective coach, especially a big name one? "I'd really like rw to overule me on who starts at qb for a playoff game." Yeah, I'll bet cowher or shanahan would love that.

Cowher and Shanahan have the juice to tell Ralph where to go. And an unproven guy who has the balls to do it would be impressive. And as SB said, Jones forced Roy Williams on Wade, so it's not like Ralph is the first, or last, owner to ever do it.

Ok, then how 'bout this then>>>>>>>>>Jerry Jones paces on the sidelines glaring at the assistant coaches when the Cowboys are losing........how do you like them double-standards.

Face it, the country despises our small market asses and wishes that we would just crawl off in a hole and die!~!!!!!!!! :unsure::unsure::worthy::unsure::worthy:

Does he have a twin brother? Every time I see the Cowboys on tv down here, he is in a pressbox

Mort also said that Polian came VERY close to naming Frazier HC over Caldwell last year, even though Caldwell had been hand-picked by Dungy as his successor.

another after-the-fact bull hockey story

Caldwell has always been the HC in waiting.

any rehashing over who may have been considered is just revisionist nonsense.

the fact is Caldwell is HC and Frazier is not

Normally I am not a big Mort fan, but in this case, he is probably right. He said the reason Bills are having so many problems finding a coach is because the word around NFL circles is that there is just too much interference from the owner with regards to day to day decisions being made. Said one NFL executive told him the Bills have become almost as bizarre as the Raiders, but he said he didn't believe that. Said he cannot understand why the Bills haven't made more of a play for Marty Schottenheimer...

Appreciate the quote. That being said, are people really surprised at this? Or upset that Mort said this?

Make no sense.