"Housecleaning turns into reorganizing basement"

bigskyfan

I can't believe there are not good personnel guys that would love to take a shot at rebuilding a team, unfortunately, "me & Russ, we didn't know any of them"

Great use of the famous quote. I think more people are finally beginning to see the truth. Our only hope is for someone to buy the team and keep them in Buffalo. Only then will there be the potential for an NFL winner in western NY.

Why fire him if his contract is up in a few months? Tell him to take an extended vacation and good luck with his next job.

What about hiring his replacement? Maybe having him clear out his office so the new guy has a place to hang his coat is overrated. Free agency is just around the corner.

(I'm thinking he stays, btw.)

I'm willing to give Nix the benefit of doubt here, and wait and see what happens these next two years. Ultimately they'll either turn it around, or it'll continue sucking. Personally, I liked our last draft - except the Maybin pick (he needs too much time to develop), and that was Nix's first year here. Another draft like last years in regards the lines, and we might have a good young O-line ready to play for four or five years together, and hopefully more. Nix made a positive impact last year, and I'm sure he looked the operations up and down and knows where it needs to improve to be competitive. I'm thinking I'll like the coach they hire and I'll be looking forward to the draft and F.A. By next year we'll know what to think of Nix and whoever he hires as coach.

Why do you people constantly try to make Guy and Modrak the whipping boys .................They dont have Ralphs ear ....They never did they just provide football analysis ....................Overdorf , Brandon & Littman with some help fromJauron are the Ralph players when it came to decision making...................You think that Modrak created the Wade Phillips fiasco........or Mularkey or Greg Williams ...................No its Brandon the front man for Ralph........You think Guy decided that we should go after lets say TO for instance .......NO it was Brandon..................Dont try to Blame the people that actually evaluate Football players with the people who decide what football players to go after(who by the way dont know crap about talent)...................If Overdorf(who does contracts) or Brandon(I guess Marketing) knew what they was doing..They wouldnt have given a L.Guard 49mill,R.Tackel 25 mill while there best player wasJason Peters who was playing at a all-pro level then during levy tenure......Did Guy & Modrak do that .............No a football person would know that you if over pay for less talent your better talent will get PISSED, heck makes sense if that happened to me I would be pissed.People was really surprised when Peters , Pat Williams generally nice guys was all of a sudden Pissed.................When Modrak was GM at Philly they always locked up there better players .........Overdorf & Brando felt that it was good to pay DOCKERY of all people STEVE HUTCHINSON money ...................no gentlemen & ladies...............................THE PROBLEM IS RALPH, BRANDON & OVERDORF.................football people dont want NON-Football people controlling the Purse-Strings

I fell out of my chair at work i got so dizzy trying to read this... :blink:

Fine, but by May the majority of the pro personnel decisions have been made. Unless of course you count scouring the waiver wire or street FA list for the next retread.

Bills fans figured when Jauron was fired that a true housecleaning was coming. It hasn't nor will it happen because no one can fire anyone without Ralph's approval. Ergo, Modrak, Guy, Overdorf, et al will remain until the bitter end.

I hoped that would really rebuild the scouting/presonnel departments.

Oh well. Welcome to Buffalo Bills 2010, 5 - 11, and no playoffs for an 11'th year?

Have you noticed that nobody wants to work for Ralph Wilson? What's the point of firing everyone when you can't replace them?

PTR

Ralph is running a basic command and control management system. He calls the shots. I suspect its the same with all his business interests. The GM may have the GM title and the official accountabilities that go along with that position, and the pro personnel director, and the director of college scouting, and so forth. You're not really the GM, or the pro personnel director, or the director of college scouting. You are an information gathering assistant to the owner. No decision of importance is made without final consent of the owner. Some might think this is okay, even the way it should be. After all, its his football team, isn't it?

But for an organization to function well, the owner needs to set the basic parameters and objectives for the operation and the employees, the budget, strategy, goals, marketing, and financial objectives, and for on-the-field performance. Then get out of the way and let the people hired to do the football and operational jobs do their jobs.

Ralph isn't going to change, he won't do what I suggest above. In most instances, highly skilled and experienced people won't work in a highly directed environment where authority is not delegated to them. This is true in any business field not just football.

I'm willing to give Nix the benefit of doubt here, and wait and see what happens these next two years. Ultimately they'll either turn it around, or it'll continue sucking. Personally, I liked our last draft - except the Maybin pick (he needs too much time to develop), and that was Nix's first year here. Another draft like last years in regards the lines, and we might have a good young O-line ready to play for four or five years together, and hopefully more. Nix made a positive impact last year, and I'm sure he looked the operations up and down and knows where it needs to improve to be competitive. I'm thinking I'll like the coach they hire and I'll be looking forward to the draft and F.A. By next year we'll know what to think of Nix and whoever he hires as coach.

I hope you are right. Nix has a great track record in terms of picking players, but the fact is that he has never run an organization. I'm not saying that he can't, but choosing players is not the same as hiring a coach, setting up an effective front office and scouting department, and making general personnel decisions. Maybe Nix will do a great job, and maybe he's already made some moves that nobody knows about, but at this point I can understand everyone's frustration.

I hope you are right. Nix has a great track record in terms of picking players, but the fact is that he has never run an organization. I'm not saying that he can't, but choosing players and not the same as hiring a coach, setting up an effective front office and scouting department, and making general personnel decisions. Maybe Nix will do a great job, and maybe he's already made some moves that nobody knows about, but at this point I can understand everyone's frustration.

the bills have not figured out how to bring in front office personel who are not question marks

What about hiring his replacement? Maybe having him clear out his office so the new guy has a place to hang his coat is overrated. Free agency is just around the corner.

(I'm thinking he stays, btw.)

If he gets an extension, I'll believe he's staying. Until then, I'm going with "he's gone."

Fail.

See above.

If he gets an extension, I'll believe he's staying. Until then, I'm going with "he's gone."

See above.

Let me clarify by way of illuminating a third option. The Bills could well want him to stay but he could refuse to sign an extension. Unless he signs an extension, this is what I'd say is going on. It makes little business sense to "clean house" by letting people make paper airplanes and throw pencils into the ceiling tiles for months before they walk away.

I hoped that would really rebuild the scouting/presonnel departments.

Oh well. Welcome to Buffalo Bills 2010, 5 - 11, and no playoffs for an 11'th year?

Next year will be a full on rebuild for the entire roster. New coaches bring new schemes, and they'll look for new players more than an incumbent HC would. Darryl Talley was upset with the effort during the season, and we can be sure whatever poor guy takes over the team will see that.

The team needed a complete engine overhaul and all we got was a kicking of the tires and a new air freshener. This is a team that can't rebuild because that would be making a plan for the future. And with the team going up for sale, new long term contracts are something they won't do.

Next year will be a full on rebuild for the entire roster. New coaches bring new schemes, and they'll look for new players more than an incumbent HC would. Darryl Talley was upset with the effort during the season, and we can be sure whatever poor guy takes over the team will see that.

The team needed a complete engine overhaul and all we got was a kicking of the tires and a new air freshener. This is a team that can't rebuild because that would be making a plan for the future. And with the team going up for sale, new long term contracts are something they won't do.

But, it could explain the report that the Bills had offered Cowher an amazing 1 year deal.

Let me clarify by way of illuminating a third option. The Bills could well want him to stay but he could refuse to sign an extension. Unless he signs an extension, this is what I'd say is going on. It makes little business sense to "clean house" by letting people make paper airplanes and throw pencils into the ceiling tiles for months before they walk away.

Fine. Two of the 3 options involve him leaving. :devil:

I take it that you want him gone. Are you 100% sure that he was the problem?

He is the VP of Pro Personnel. The FA acquisitions for the most part have been poor. And that's an area in which Nix has done well. I'd rather Nix and Modrak run the draft and pro personnel matters, leaving the "concensus" model they've been using.