If we could bring TD back, would you do it?

Mikie2times

He was universally hated when he left, I was one of the people blasting him the most. But looking back has the alternative really been that much better?

If nothing else I would like him back just for the structure the front office had. IMO to be successful in this league you need a true GM that operates only with football staff on roster and coaching decisions. Sure the owner will always have some input, but these decisions need to fall in the hands of one person. You need direct lines of communication to the major parts of your organization, not the washed out 10 headed monster that we've had since his departure.

He was universally hated when he left, I was one of the people blasting him the most. But looking back has the alternative really been that much better?

If nothing else I would like him back just for the structure the front office had. IMO to be successful in this league you need a true GM that operates only with football staff on roster and coaching decisions. Sure the owner will always have some input, but these decisions need to fall in the hands of one person. You need direct lines of communication to the major parts of your organization, not the washed out 10 headed monster that we've had since his departure.

First, I agree you can't run an organization by committee. That's just ridiculous.

But if you're going to have one person be the head guy, the onus is on that guy to make the right decisions. Let's look at how TD used his first round draft picks:

2001: Nate Clements. Result: first contract and out.

2002: Mike Williams. Result: bust.

2003 a. Traded for Drew Bledsoe. Result: Bledsoe was released after three years.

2003 b: Willis McGahee. Result: failed to provide a significant upgrade over Travis Henry. After a few years, he was traded for two third round picks.

2004 a: Lee Evans. Result: a good WR, but not necessarily as good as you'd expect from a guy picked 13th overall.

2004 b: You know who. Result: bust.

2005: none.

There's only one success story on that list: the Lee Evans pick. Is TD really the guy you want running your franchise?

And look at the team he built (or tried to build, at any rate). Marv inherited a team with no starting-quality offensive linemen other than Jason Peters. Even Peters was more a case of good luck than good decision-making. TD initially signed Peters as an UDFA. And later released him. Then re-signed him. Within two or three years, all the starting offensive linemen from the TD era had been released. Again except for Peters, who was traded away.

Then look at the quarterback situation Marv inherited: the Losman/Holcomb controversy. Just what every head coach and general manager dreams of! Finally, look at the defensive line: other than Aaron Schobel, what players were there? In the three most critical areas--OL, DL, and QB--TD found just two players (Schobel and Peters).

The team Marv inherited also had holes at #2 WR, TE, LB, and elsewhere. I'll grant that Marv also did a lousy job as GM, but that's a subject for another post.

First, I agree you can't run an organization by committee. That's just ridiculous.

But if you're going to have one person be the head guy, the onus is on that guy to make the right decisions. Let's look at how TD used his first round draft picks:

2001: Nate Clements. Result: first contract and out.

2002: Mike Williams. Result: bust.

2003 a. Traded for Drew Bledsoe. Result: Bledsoe was released after three years.

2003 b: Willis McGahee. Result: failed to provide a significant upgrade over Travis Henry. After a few years, he was traded for two third round picks.

2004 a: Lee Evans. Result: a good WR, but not necessarily as good as you'd expect from a guy picked 13th overall.

2004 b: You know who. Result: bust.

2005: none.

There's only one success story on that list: the Lee Evans pick. Is TD really the guy you want running your franchise?

And look at the team he built (or tried to build, at any rate). Marv inherited a team with no starting-quality offensive linemen other than Jason Peters. Even Peters was more a case of good luck than good decision-making. TD initially signed Peters as an UDFA. And later released him. Then re-signed him. Within two or three years, all the starting offensive linemen from the TD era had been released. Again except for Peters, who was traded away.

Then look at the quarterback situation Marv inherited: the Losman/Holcomb controversy. Just what every head coach and general manager dreams of! Finally, look at the defensive line: other than Aaron Schobel, what players were there? In the three most critical areas--OL, DL, and QB--TD found just two players (Schobel and Peters).

The team Marv inherited also had holes at #2 WR, TE, LB, and elsewhere. I'll grant that Marv also did a lousy job as GM, but that's a subject for another post.

Lets not forget that bastage TD didn't want to pay Pat Williams and let him leave for Minnesota :censored:

On another note I don't see how Marv did a lousy job as GM, every thing he did was undone by that moron Jauron, you know Mr lets rebuild the O line every year and promote people to OC who never called plays before.

Lets not forget that bastage TD didn't want to pay Pat Williams and let him leave for Minnesota :lol:

On another note I don't see how Marv did a lousy job as GM, every thing he did was undone by that moron Jauron, you know Mr lets rebuild the O line every year and promote people to OC who never called plays before.

Maybe he sucked because..... he HIRED Jauron.

Marv was an awful gm. :censored:

You're kidding, right?