Why a Quality Offensive Line is Critical

Peter

If you have any doubt about why a quality offensive line is critical (and critical to the success of a QB and skill position players), watch the Pats-Ravens game.

Brady was not so Brady-like this weekend. Even a multiple Super Bowl winning QB will play poorly when he has people in his grill. He had a 49.1 QB rating.

This also shows why it is important to be able to pressure the QB.

If the Bills want to win, they need to concentrate on building the offensive and defensive lines.

It will not make any difference who our QB is until we fix the line. Building our lines this off season is much more important than drafting a QB with a high pick.

If you have any doubt about why a quality offensive line is critical (and critical to the success of a QB and skill position players), watch the Pats-Ravens game.

Brady was not so Brady-like this weekend. Even a multiple Super Bowl winning QB will play poorly when he has people in his grill. He had a 49.1 QB rating.

If the Bills want to win, they need to concentrate on building the offensive and defensive lines.

It will not make any difference who our QB is until we fix the line. Building our lines this off season is much more important that drafting a QB with a high pick.

agreed.

nonsense...the ravens won with a rookie tackle who couldn't get selected over Maybin...how did THAT happen? and they had a defensive line with a guy who couldn't get selected over Dante Whitner...This really proves that you don't need an offensive or defensive line to win in the NFL. I hope we remember this on draft day when the opportunity comes to draft a quarterback or another defensive back.

QB is the most important position but OL is the most important unit.

it is important, yes, I agree completely, but a lot of other factors need to make that work. We had McNally who was one of the most respected in the league and we still couldn't block 4 sh*t. The whole scouting department (college and pp), coaching staff, and namely the owner who writes the checks....all these things factor in, otherwise it's wasted talent

Talking O line and offense to this batch of posters is like running in sand for the most part, the majority still want a new QB and a defensive head coach, not to mention they want to draft defense before offense.

I was b!tching hard in this forum about the Bills draft last April when they didn't address replacing Jason Peters in the draft, and then again in training camp when they didn't address LT in free agency.

The majority of the posters here just want a Matt Stafford type to come in and overcome the horrid O Line, scheme and play calling, and end up with serious injuries and perhaps a shortened career :huh: Then they will want another QB to replace him once he gets injured and stops playing well.

Talking O line and offense to this batch of posters is like running in sand for the most part, the majority still want a new QB and a defensive head coach, not to mention they want to draft defense before offense.

I was b!tching hard in this forum about the Bills draft last April when they didn't address replacing Jason Peters in the draft, and then again in training camp when they didn't address LT in free agency.

The majority of the posters here just want a Matt Stafford type to come in and overcome the horrid O Line, scheme and play calling, and end up with serious injuries and perhaps a shortened career :huh: Then they will want another QB to replace him once he gets injured and stops playing well.

Or a Flacco/Ryan tye to come in and play well behind the same line our crappy QBs played poorly behind. I am not against improving the line, but doing that without improving the QB means little. I say do whatever necessary to get the best QB in Rd1. Draft OT in RD 2. Sign A veteran OT and OG (hopefully Incognito). Then you've addressed both of our biggest areas of weakness. Let the QB develop for a year while the line gels. Superbowl in 2011 unless there is a lockout.

it is important, yes, I agree completely, but a lot of other factors need to make that work. We had McNally who was one of the most respected in the league and we still couldn't block 4 sh*t. The whole scouting department (college and pp), coaching staff, and namely the owner who writes the checks....all these things factor in, otherwise is wasted talent

To be honest the Bills had a great O line back then and just couldn't get them to play great, It makes me think several things were wrong with what they were doing.

1) Scheme, the zone blocking scheme the Bills utilize is not the same one that the Denver Bronco's use and just could never get a dominate running game working. Head coach *

2) Continuity, or should I state lack of, Jauron and co. were constantly changing O line players every year and this last year they blew it all up and changed every position.

3) Fitness, they finally fired the crappy strength and conditioning coach after 21 players on the injured reserve this season. This guy has been putting unfit players on the field since he was hired by Mike Mularkey, Damn that man for firing Rusty Jones.

*Plus the fact that Dick Jauron kept wanting rookie unproven inexperienced offensive coordinators to build a high powered scoring offense instead of a power running game, simply moronic.

I agree a QB can make an o-line look so much better than they are we've had QB's that make them look worse. I totally agree the o-line has been putrid but the guy getting the snaps has done very little to help the situation. ALmost every team in the league is not happy with their offensive line. The comment on the Ravens - yes you can win that way but they aren't a threat to win the super bowl

It will not make any difference who our QB is until we fix the line. Building our lines this off season is much more important than drafting a QB with a high pick.

I might have heard this somewhere. :huh::censored:

Or a Flacco/Ryan tye to come in and play well behind the same line our crappy QBs played poorly behind. I am not against improving the line, but doing that without improving the QB means little. I say do whatever necessary to get the best QB in Rd1. Draft OT in RD 2. Sign A veteran OT and OG (hopefully Incognito). Then you've addressed both of our biggest areas of weakness. Let the QB develop for a year while the line gels. Superbowl in 2011 unless there is a lockout.

See what I mean, this kind of thinking is exactly why Matt Stafford was playing injured most of the year... The Lions brought in Culpepper so Stafford could sit and learn and yet they still played him and got him hurt, to win what, a game or two? coaching fools.

Flacco had a great, dominating run game to work with and once they settled down and started pounding the ball and getting the run game going... the Ravens were almost unbeatable. They rushed the Ball 42 times for 200+ yards and 3 TD's against the Patriots.

Flacco was 4/10 for 34 yards and one INT in that playoff game :huh: