Peter King Updates Coaching Search

d. A smart man told me: "Watch out for Ron Rivera in Buffalo.'' Not buying it, but the man is smart, so I wanted to throw it out there.

e. A smart man in Buffalo told me: "They love Leslie Frazier.'' Bills interviewed him for five hours Thursday, and as I said on NBC Saturday night, he's the leader in the clubhouse for that job, but so many golfers are still out on the course -- like Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer.

8. I think the reason the silence is deafening with Bill Cowher right now is simple: What can the guy say? We all know he wants to coach sometime soon, and maybe this year if the job is right. If he doesn't know with certainly which jobs will be open, how can he come out and say he's either coaching or not coaching?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writ.../10/mmqb/4.html

8. I think the reason the silence is deafening with Bill Cowher right now is simple: What can the guy say? We all know he wants to coach sometime soon, and maybe this year if the job is right. If he doesn't know with certainly which jobs will be open, how can he come out and say he's either coaching or not coaching?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writ.../10/mmqb/4.html

And this is all Bills and the fans need to know. The job offer has been out there, with no acceptance. Time to pull the offer and move on.

And this is all Bills and the fans need to know. The job offer has been out there, with no acceptance. Time to pull the offer and move on.

Exactly. We can't sit around waiting for him to make a decision. Give him a timetable. Start interviewing others.

It's *almost* like watching the girl you like hang out with other guys to make you jealous and make a move. Cowher doesn't need to make a move, but the Bills at least need to move on with their plans. The draft will be here sooner than we think.

Rivera declined?

Chris Brown

Posted January 11th, 2010

Tags: Leslie Frazier, Perry Fewell, Ron Rivera

According to the San Diego Union-Tribune, Chargers defensive coordinator Ron Rivera was offered the opportunity to interview with the Bills for their vacant head coaching post. Rivera reportedly took a pass.

Rivera reportedly turned down opportunities to interview with both the Bills and the Seahawks for their open head coaching jobs. Minnesota defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier initially turned down the opportunity to interview for the Seahawks job believing he was nothing more than an interviewee that would satisfy the league’s Rooney Rule that at least one minority candidate be interviewed during the hiring process.

Frazier ultimately changed his mind and did interview with Seattle over the weekend.

It’s unclear if Rivera, who is of Hispanic descent, feels the same way about the Seattle job. It would be hard for him to take such a stance regarding the Bills job since the only two confirmed interviews for the Buffalo head coaching post have been minority candidates in Perry Fewell and Frazier.

Rivera declined?

Chris Brown

According to the San Diego Union-Tribune, Chargers defensive coordinator Ron Rivera was offered the opportunity to interview with the Bills for their vacant head coaching post. Rivera reportedly took a pass.

Rivera reportedly turned down opportunities to interview with both the Bills and the Seahawks for their open head coaching jobs. Minnesota defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier initially turned down the opportunity to interview for the Seahawks job believing he was nothing more than an interviewee that would satisfy the league’s Rooney Rule that at least one minority candidate be interviewed during the hiring process.

Frazier ultimately changed his mind and did interview with Seattle over the weekend.

It’s unclear if Rivera, who is of Hispanic descent, feels the same way about the Seattle job. It would be hard for him to take such a stance regarding the Bills job since the only two confirmed interviews for the Buffalo head coaching post have been minority candidates in Perry Fewell and Frazier.

Wow that is ice cold.

F him too I hope he spends the next 10 years waiting for a HC gig.

Rivera declined?

Chris Brown

I wonder if Rivera and Grimm are declining interviews because they don't want the job or because they are busy prepping their teams for the playoff and don't want to take the time out to prep for and conduct the interview. These interviews are quite indepth, so I am sure there is a ton of prep work they would need to do to be at their best for the interview. I am hoping their denials are happening because they would rather focus on their current team and deal with these head coaching opportunities are their season is done. This whole process seems screwed up. Maybe the league needs to place a moratorium on coaching moves until after the superbowl to give everyone a fair chance at it. This would work out best for all of the teams and individuals involved. They could even put in tampering rules and fine team for any back channel communications regarding their coaching vacancies and also fine potential candidates for reaching out to try to build their coaching staffs.

e. A smart man in Buffalo told me: "They love Leslie Frazier.'' Bills interviewed him for five hours Thursday, and as I said on NBC Saturday night, he's the leader in the clubhouse for that job, but so many golfers are still out on the course -- like Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer.

A couple weeks ago Peter King was pushing for the Bills to hire Frazier as head coach, and Mike Leach as OC.

Do we really want another low-key defensive coordinator who was a defensive back? Been there, done that. Unless he could bring Pat Williams and Jared Allen with him, i'd rather take my chances with a coach with an offensive background, where we need the real work.

Exactly. We can't sit around waiting for him to make a decision....

In reality, of course the Bills can sit around and wait. Waiting for Bill Cowher to see if any other jobs open up until the week after the Super Bowl, for example, should be no problem at all for the Bills brass. In the meantime, they continue to interview other qualified candidates on their list. Buddy Nix is in charge of the FOOTBALL operation, so he can obviously still continue to direct his scouts to prepare for the draft with our without the head coach being in the room. If the Bills finally came to terms with Cowher, let's say for example, Monday February 15th, that would still leave he and Nix another 9 weeks to huddle up and decide what to do for the 2010 draft. And even if Cowher still says no on Monday the 15th of Feb, they hire the next guy on their list, who also still has 9 weeks to huddle with Buddy to prepare for the draft.

As long as there is some sort of dialogue with Cowher, even if he says, "Thanks but no thanks" once a week, the negotiations are not over. When or if Cowher stops talking to Ralph/Bills management, then the game is most likely over. I'm not sure it's at that point, yet.