Most depressing search for a HC of all time

jahnyc

Um, he coached the team. To a Super Bowl title. With arguably the worst QB ever to win a Super Bowl. Billick did a tremendous job in earning that ring.

baltimore won in spite of billick's idiocy. remind me, who did the dolphins beat to avoid going 0-16? who coached that team? try tuning into billick on NFL network. you'll be eating crow

Coaches AND players don't want to be in Buffalo, unless they're getting a premium to coach/play there. And even then, it doesn't ensure they'll come or perform. And Snyder is proof positive that an idiot, meddling owner with tons of money doesn't guarantee success, but he can sure get who he wants coach- or player-wise.

Certainly you're correct. I read the article a couple months back, don't recall the specifics enough, likely there was a second criteria assoicated with that narrowed the list way down. Actually Ewbank was the one name on the list now that you mention it. Why these others didn't qualify, can't recall, or the writer also did a poor job of research. Maybe the age was older than 50. The overall point was older coaches even those with a legacy didn't do very well their second time around.

Really? "It's also been documented that any recycled coach over 50 has never won much the second time around either," you say? "I believe at most only one of them has ever won it all," you say? Let me give you a few quick examples which prove you wrong.

Weeb Ewbank was born in 1907. He won an NFL championship with the Colts before the first Super Bowl, and then in 1963 he got a job with the New York Jets and won Super Bowl III with them. I would call that fairly successful.

Tom Coughlin was born in 1946 and got his second coaching job with the New York Giants in 2003, and you know how that turned out.

Dick Vermeil was born in 1936 and got his second coaching job with the Rams in 1997. I would call him fairly successful.

And I didn't even look hard. I'm sure there are many others.

I do agree with you, however, that the importance of coaches is overrated. I'm not sure that GMs are underrated, because everyone I know thinks they are hugely important. But there's no question that you're right that some young coordinators are ready to be sensational coaches. The problem is finding the right one and then giving him the right personnel to win.

depression is in the eye of the beholder.

-_-

Seriously. Some of you are just making yourselves nuts. Exactly what is the point in rushing to fill the head coach spot right now? This is the dead part of the offseason (because it's not really the offseason). The idea is to get the best guy for the job. The bills have said nothing and they shouldn't. So all you have to go one is gossip NFL reporters.

I equate this to giving a girl your phone # (which you should never do) and just staring at the phone until it rings. Stop overanalyzing everything.

Clearly, the Bills needed someone with a track record of success to turn things around (on the field and perception wise). So far, the Bills have struck out with Shanahan, Gruden and Cowher and Fox does not seem interested. This is tragic, since these are the only types of coaches who could have attracted decent assistant coaches and forced RW to agree to pay for players and assistant coaches. Now we will be stuck interviewing coordinators without real leverage or head coaching experience. We have been through this before with Williams and Mularkey. Why will it be different this time? Can any of these guys assemble a decent staff? If it is so difficult to get a head coach, will it be any easier to find decent assistant coaches? Years of people saying that RW is cheap and stuck in his ways, and with the hiring of Nix (probably the least expensive GM that could be hired) without a search outside of the organization and the likelihood of hiring a coordinator to be head coach, the Bills will once again be paying the least possible amount for their GM and head coach.

If the next head coach has a winning record or a playoff berth, all will be forgotten.

The search is only depressing because all the "big names" seem to be disinterested. Of course, we're getting all of this based on second and third-hand information, most of which is probably not true. To me, it's nothing more than gossip designed to get clicks to websites. No one really knows who has been contacted and interviewed, and who hasn't, or the reasons why the "big names" seem to be disinterested.

Again, none of this will matter if the Bills start winning.

Clearly, the Bills needed someone with a track record of success to turn things around (on the field and perception wise). So far, the Bills have struck out with Shanahan, Gruden and Cowher and Fox does not seem interested. This is tragic, since these are the only types of coaches who could have attracted decent assistant coaches and forced RW to agree to pay for players and assistant coaches. Now we will be stuck interviewing coordinators without real leverage or head coaching experience. We have been through this before with Williams and Mularkey. Why will it be different this time? Can any of these guys assemble a decent staff? If it is so difficult to get a head coach, will it be any easier to find decent assistant coaches? Years of people saying that RW is cheap and stuck in his ways, and with the hiring of Nix (probably the least expensive GM that could be hired) without a search outside of the organization and the likelihood of hiring a coordinator to be head coach, the Bills will once again be paying the least possible amount for their GM and head coach.

I don't think it will be for a lack of trying that the Bills fail to land Cowher. I also don't think it'll be because the money isn't there either. Mostly it will be willingness to wait until the perfect situation arises. Past history, rather than current commitment is what's hurting the Bills chances.

All those Super Bowl winning coaches were top assistants at one time. The situation is not hopeless.