New Opportunities

silvermike

With the losses yesterday, two coaching prospects are now available for interview. In brief:

The Eagles' McDermott is a DC off the Jim (not Jimmy) Johnson tree: blitz and blitz. The Eagles were consistently one of the most aggressive defenses in the league, of course, Tony Romo just picked that apart in two big games six days apart. He's in the boy-genius coaching class (age: 35), and has spent his entire career with the Eagles, previously as a LB and DB coach.

Mike Zimmer is the Bengals DC, who had previously worked in Dallas under Barry Switzer and everyone since. He ran the 4-3 until Parcells told him to switch, and then he went back to the 4-3 for a year in Atlanta and two in Cincinnati. The Bengals were the 12th ranked defense in 2008 and shot up to the top ten this year (6th points, 4th yards).

Any further thoughts? I'm not particularly impressed with either, though I like that Zimmer has run 4-3 AND 3-4. Flexibility is big.

With the losses yesterday, two coaching prospects are now available for interview. In brief:

The Eagles' McDermott is a DC off the Jim (not Jimmy) Johnson tree: blitz and blitz. The Eagles were consistently one of the most aggressive defenses in the league, of course, Tony Romo just picked that apart in two big games six days apart. He's in the boy-genius coaching class (age: 35), and has spent his entire career with the Eagles, previously as a LB and DB coach.

Mike Zimmer is the Bengals DC, who had previously worked in Dallas under Barry Switzer and everyone since. He ran the 4-3 until Parcells told him to switch, and then he went back to the 4-3 for a year in Atlanta and two in Cincinnati. The Bengals were the 12th ranked defense in 2008 and shot up to the top ten this year (6th points, 4th yards).

Any further thoughts? I'm not particularly impressed with either, though I like that Zimmer has run 4-3 AND 3-4. Flexibility is big.

NO thanks to both of them

Zimmer is a guy whose ego doesn't get in the way...He can motivate his guys as well...I'd like him head and shoulders over McDermott..Besides Philly had no answers at all to Dallas 2 weeks in a row...

I'm really hoping that the delay in the Bills coaching search was simply them waiting for the Bengals to get bounced so they could interview Zimmer. I'll be looking for an announcement tomorrow.

I'm really hoping that the delay in the Bills coaching search was simply them waiting for the Bengals to get bounced so they could interview Zimmer. I'll be looking for an announcement tomorrow.

Simon,

Just curious, what is it that you see in Zimmer that makes you want the Bills to interview him?

Simon,

Just curious, what is it that you see in Zimmer that makes you want the Bills to interview him?

The Bengals defense.

Consistently getting that kind of production out of that group of misfits is pretty impressive, imo.

I'd actually be okay with Zimmer. He's put together some very nice Defenses everywhere he's been (except for that one abortion year he coached Atlanta's D, but I'll give him a mulligan on that one).

I'm very impressed with how he's made the Bengals Defense relevant after nearly 10 years of below-average play.

The Bengals defense.

Consistently getting that kind of production out of that group of misfits is pretty impressive, imo.

They just let the Jets offense dominate them in 2 consecutive weeks. Do we really want a guy coaching this team again that can't figure out how to stop our division foes? Sorry, but I'll pass.

The Bengals defense.

If Mike Zimmer is so good, then why has he been a defensive coordinator with 3 teams in 4 years? I would think he would have solidified a spot in Atlanta for more than 1 year if he was great

Just wondering?

If Mike Zimmer is so good, then why has he been a defensive coordinator with 3 teams in 4 years? I would think he would have solidified a spot in Atlanta for more than 1 year

Just wondering?

2007 was the horrible Bobby Petrino year in Atlanta where he abandoned the team and left all of his players and coaches out to dry. Before that Zimmer spent 7 years as Dallas' D-Coordinator (spanning through 4 coaches) and was obviously thought of pretty well if Bill Parcells choose him as his D-Coodrinator.

They just let the Jets offense dominate them in 2 consecutive weeks. Do we really want a guy coaching this team again that can't figure out how to stop our division foes? Sorry, but I'll pass.

I wouldn't put any stock in Week 17.

As for yesterday, the Jets only had about 350 yrds of total offense and were 3-12 on 3rd down. The Bengal defense got absolutely no help from their offense (turnovers) or their ST's (field position). When you look at the group of scrubs that Zimmer has to work with and consider the fact that the Jets have the best OLine in the NFL, I would hardly say their defense was dominated nor would I give Zimmer grief for what he got out of them.

If Mike Zimmer is so good, then why has he been a defensive coordinator with 3 teams in 4 years? I would think he would have solidified a spot in Atlanta for more than 1 year if he was great

Just wondering?

Pay attention to folks like that fella in Orchard Park and you might learn something.

im ok with zimmer

2007 was the horrible Bobby Petrino year in Atlanta where he abandoned the team and left all of his players and coaches out to dry. Before that Zimmer spent 7 years as Dallas' D-Coordinator (spanning through 4 coaches) and was obviously thought of pretty well if Bill Parcells choose him as his D-Coodrinator.

Correct.

I forgot about the Bobby Petrino thing.

As for yesterday, the Jets only had about 350 yrds of total offense and were 3-12 on 3rd down. The Bengal defense got absolutely no help from their offense (turnovers) or their ST's (field position). When you look at the group of scrubs that Zimmer has to work with and consider the fact that the Jets have the best OLine in the NFL, I would hardly say their defense was dominated nor would I give Zimmer grief for what he got out of them.

Pay attention to folks like that fella in Orchard Park and you might learn something.

If thats the case though, why not just keep Fewell? You have basically described the bills and their defence there. Atleast Fewell already knows the players and has things in place here.

If thats the case though, why not just keep Fewell? You have basically described the bills and their defence there. Atleast Fewell already knows the players and has things in place here.

The Bills have way more talent on D than the Bengals and Fewell got far less out of them, imo.

This staff needs fresh eyes.

I hear what you're saying. And, at one point in the game yesterday, I was thinking right along those lines... that he's gotten alot out of a fairly average bunch. But it would have been nice to see them do something more against the Jets. I couldn't help but have Bills flashbacks throughout the game. It seemed just when they got the Jets where they wanted; Sanchez burns them for a nice misdirection play.

Ultimately for me, this was a division team and the Bengals looked very average against them.

the Bills have talent on the defence? Reading the board here I would say most would disagree with you.

I would agree with him... look at our secondary... 3rd ranked in the NFL (28 INTS)... And we have a talented MLB in Paul Posluszny who had a great 2nd half of the season. Then look at our D-Line (its average, needs a few upgrades, but if Schobel stays its decent)

We need an upgrade at LB and DE then our defense would be good. And if they can stay healthy it would be better.