Schottenheimer's OFFICIAL THREAD

papazoid

http://www.buffalonews.com/opinion/columns...ory/917865.html

i guess we will find out within a week or so if Bill Cowher is going to accept our offer. i know he is the first choice of the majority of our fans. Cowher is a fine coach and we would be lucky to have him. He is not however, my first choice. That goes to Marty Schottenheimer. i just think he has done more with less and he has done it with more than one team. i also think he would work together better in cooperation with Buddy Nix in selecting players. An added bonus would be if he could bring his son Brian here, who is currently the O.C. for the Jets.

as i have stated many times before here, i think Cowher is the first choice of Russ Brandon because in addition to being an excellent choice, Cowher would by far generate the most buzz resulting in ticket sales. I also think that Marty is the secret first choice of Buddy Nix because of their well documented friendship and success in san diego. Neither buddy nor Marty want the embarrassing situation where marty expresses interest in the job only to be denied if Cowher says yes. So, as soon as the Cowher situation is resolved, if he removes himself from our job, i look for Nix to reach out to Marty.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i guess we will find out within a week or so if Bill Cowher is going to accept our offer. i know he is the first choice of the majority of our fans. Cowher is a fine coach and we would be lucky to have him. He is not however, my first choice. That goes to Marty Schottenheimer. i just think he has done more with less and he has done it with more than one team. i also think he would work together better in cooperation with Buddy Nix in selecting players. An added bonus would be if he could bring his son Brian here, who is currently the O.C. for the Jets.

Agreed. If no Cowher, then Marty please!

Marty ball would work with Brian as OC.

If the Bills hire Brian as HC and also hire Marty as a consultant that might work also.

This franchise is in desperate need of an offensive mind that knows what he is doing, either as OC or HC.

These defensive OC's scare me into thinking we might get another Jauron or Williams for the next three years. :ph34r:

as i have stated many times before here, i think Cowher is the first choice of Russ Brandon because in addition to being an excellenat choice, Cowher would by far generate the most buzz resulting in ticket sales. I also think that Marty is the secret first choice of Buddy Nix because of their well documented friendship and success in san diego. Neither buddy nor Marty want the embarrassing situation where marty expresses interest in the job only to be denied if Cowher says yes. So, as soon as the Cowher situation is resolved, if he removes himself from our job, i look for Nix to reach out to Marty.

There is a reason why "Lisp Lips: Felser is retired. Out of touch

Marty ball would work with Brian as OC.

If the Bills hire Brian as HC and also hire Marty as a consultant that might work also.

This franchise is in desperate need of an offensive mind that knows what he is doing, either as OC or HC.

These defensive OC's scare me into thinking we might get another Jauron or Williams for the next three years. :ph34r:

would the jets let take Brian as OC? I assume they'd want to block that move if they could.

would the jets let take Brian as OC?  I assume they'd want to block that move if they could.
Rex Ryan comes from a coaching family and has made overtures to Brian Schottenheimer that he would allow him to go with his Dad according to John Clayton.  The Bills could also name him assistant Head Coach to give him a promotion that would allow him to move.Marty as head coach with Brian as Assistant Head Coach/OC would be the best scenario for me.  I would actually prefer this tandem over Cowher, Marty has shown he knows how to rebuild a team.  I was very impressed with Brian's play calling against the Bengals.That all being said, it appears that Ralph does not like Marty for some reason. If they wanted Marty they could have had him weeks ago, he has softened his stance with regards to returning.

as i have stated many times before here, i think Cowher is the first choice of Russ Brandon because in addition to being an excellenat choice, Cowher would by far generate the most buzz resulting in ticket sales. I also think that Marty is the secret first choice of Buddy Nix because of their well documented friendship and success in san diego. Neither buddy nor Marty want the embarrassing situation where marty expresses interest in the job only to be denied if Cowher says yes. So, as soon as the Cowher situation is resolved, if he removes himself from our job, i look for Nix to reach out to Marty.

What part of 'I am done coaching' is everyone missing? The man flat said he does not want to coach again.

Of course Larry picks Marty. Larry is trying to justfy the reason he is still hanging around. Another elder statesman getting a job only helps his cause. He is completely out of touch.

He was out of touch in '65 too. Felser had the Chargers rolling over the Bills in the AFL title game. Instead, the Bills smoked the Chargers.

What part of 'I am done coaching' is everyone missing? The man flat said he does not want to coach again.

And you believe everything players and coaches say in the NFL? What about Bret Favre for the past 5 or so years. He's retired 3 times and come back. Sure I think Marty needed to take some time off after being railroaded out of San Diego. I also think that if given the chance for him and his son to coach on the same team he would jump all over it. He does nothing but talk about Brian and how much fun it would be to do so. All I'm saying is players and coaches always smoke screen the truth. If they told everyone everything they were going to do it would ruin there leverage for negotiations. Thats the reason for Cowher taking so long too. He's waiting for the hat to drop on other teams. If no Cowher, I'll take Marty ball!! :ph34r:

I didn't know he has been so bad for so long. That really puts it in perspective.

I remember that because that's the game that got me hooked on the Bills. My parents had just gotten their first color TV for the big game (a 23 inch Admiral, from Electric Gas on Genesee Street) and house was packed with bills fans. In the week leading up to the game, Felser was saying in the BEN that the Bills didn't have a chance. The more things change...

Rex Ryan comes from a coaching family and has made overtures to Brian Schottenheimer that he would allow him to go with his Dad according to John Clayton.  The Bills could also name him assistant Head Coach to give him a promotion that would allow him to move.Marty as head coach with Brian as Assistant Head Coach/OC would be the best scenario for me.  I would actually prefer this tandem over Cowher, Marty has shown he knows how to rebuild a team.  I was very impressed with Brian's play calling against the Bengals.That all being said, it appears that Ralph does not like Marty for some reason. If they wanted Marty they could have had him weeks ago, he has softened his stance with regards to returning.

Ralph does not like Marty because Marty called himself "the next Dick Butkus" and played like "the next Dick Bupkus".

We already have Hardly and Maybinot, do we really need an underachieving player as a coach too?

Marty's own son was just quoted 3 days ago as saying it was possible, i would say next to marty's wife, his own son has the most credible and reliable insight into his fathers thinking:

"He's told me for the last probably two years that he's done," Brian Schottenheimer said. "I think if it was the right job, I think he would listen, but at the end of the day, it would take a heck of a lot to convince him to come off the golf course and go back to work."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/football/nfl...0,6288431.story

Ralph does not like Marty because Marty called himself "the next Dick Butkus" and played like "the next Dick Bupkus".

We already have Hardly and Maybinot, do we really need an underachieving player as a coach too?

He strikes again!!! :ph34r:

Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:53 am EST

Marty Schottenheimer would be the ideal choice for the Bills

By MJD of Yahoo Sports

The perpetual knock on Marty Schottenheimer is that he chokes in playoff games. How does a man develop such a reputation? Well, the first step is to make the playoffs a lot.

How's that sound to you, Buffalo fans? Do you like the idea of the playoffs? Does that sound like an appealing alternative to, I don't know, say, 6-10? Or 7-9? Then Marty Schottenheimer is your guy.

I know, you probably wanted Bill Cowher. He comes with a couple of Super Bowl rings, the intimidating chin, uncontrollable spittle and a few more headlines. He's younger and more exciting than Schottenheimer. If he's your first choice, that's fair enough.

If you can't get him, though (and it looks like you can't), wouldn't his mentor be a nice consolation prize? Cowher and Schottenheimer have very similar football philosophies. They both consider themselves teachers more than coaches. As football coaches, they're just about the same guy, only one's proven that he can win a Super Bowl, and the other hasn't.

What Schottenheimer will do is come in and teach your guys how to play football. He'll focus on the fundamentals and playing together as a team, and it will work. He just wins football games. In his 21 years as a head coach in the NFL, he's made the playoffs 13 times.

Will he win you a Super Bowl? Probably not, but you're the Buffalo Bills. Let's take baby steps here.

Schottenheimer coached the Chargers for five years, and then was fired because the team couldn't believe he could get them over the hump and bring home a Lombardi trophy. In those five years, though, Schottenheimer took the Chargers from a mediocrity team to a level where they felt like a Super Bowl win was in play.

Maybe that makes me biased, or maybe it makes me a guy who knows what Schottenheimer brings to the table. I see him as a guy who teaches, builds and wins, and I see the Bills as a team that needs a guy like that.

If the Bills hire him, and then one day fire him because they don't feel like he's the guy to get them over the Super Bowl hump, he will have done his job.

Marty's own son was just quoted 3 days ago as saying it was possible, i would say next to marty's wife, his own son has the most credible and reliable insight into his fathers thinking:

"He's told me for the last probably two years that he's done," Brian Schottenheimer said. "I think if it was the right job, I think he would listen, but at the end of the day, it would take a heck of a lot to convince him to come off the golf course and go back to work."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/football/nfl...0,6288431.story

"I think if it was the right job, I think he would listen, but at the end of the day, it would take a heck of a lot to convince him to come off the golf course and go back to work."

And when asked about the BILLS JOB, the mans says he is done coaching. I think his son just confirmed he does not want the Buffalo job.

Rex Ryan comes from a coaching family and has made overtures to Brian Schottenheimer that he would allow him to go with his Dad according to John Clayton. The Bills could also name him assistant Head Coach to give him a promotion that would allow him to move.Marty as head coach with Brian as Assistant Head Coach/OC would be the best scenario for me. I would actually prefer this tandem over Cowher, Marty has shown he knows how to rebuild a team. I was very impressed with Brian's play calling against the Bengals.That all being said, it appears that Ralph does not like Marty for some reason. If they wanted Marty they could have had him weeks ago, he has softened his stance with regards to returning.

Agree this is the best alternative for the Bills

Everywhere Marty has gone he has salvaged the program and turned it around quickly.

I would think if he can partner with his son and Buddy, this would be appealing to him. Too bad the Jets won yesterday to prolong their season.

"I think if it was the right job, I think he would listen, but at the end of the day, it would take a heck of a lot to convince him to come off the golf course and go back to work."

And when asked about the BILLS JOB, the mans says he is done coaching. I think his son just confirmed he does not want the Buffalo job.

I tend to agree with this take...I get the feeling that Marty would come out for the perfect opportunity...But I also get the feeling he thinks Buffalo is FAR removed from that perfect opportunity...I think he would take the Carolina Job if it came open and he was offered...He lives there, it's warm weather, it's a run 1st Team already...There is a lot of talent in Carolina...I think he sees Buffalo as too much of a project at his age...

Not saying I know...Just saying... :ph34r: