Did we want Dallas to win tonight?

McNabb is a solid journeyman who doesn't have a lot of question marks. You *know* what you're getting in McNabb. His asking price wouldn't be high and you can draft a quarterback behind him to prepare for the future without tossing them behind our current line. Basically, he'd be an efficient tackling dummy that may let us score 20 points on a semi regular basis.

McNabb has played his entire career for the Eagles. That's pretty much the exact opposite of journeyman.

McNabb has played his entire career for the Eagles. That's pretty much the exact opposite of journeyman.

I think you and the dictionary have a different definition of journeyman. At least google the word before before you try to tell someone what it means.

1. One who has fully served an apprenticeship in a trade or craft and is a qualified worker in another's employ.

2. An experienced and competent but undistinguished worker.

just lazy..

McNabb is a solid journeyman who doesn't have a lot of question marks. You *know* what you're getting in McNabb. His asking price wouldn't be high and you can draft a quarterback behind him to prepare for the future without tossing them behind our current line. Basically, he'd be an efficient tackling dummy that may let us score 20 points on a semi regular basis.

I think you and the dictionary have a different definition of journeyman. At least google the word before before you try to tell someone what it means.

Jeremy, as a journeyman electrician and a longtime sports fan, I have to agree with Dan that your characterization of McNabb as a journeyman is very inaccurate.

You cite the definition:

1. One who has fully served an apprenticeship in a trade or craft and is a qualified worker in another's employ.

He was chosen 2nd overall in his draft class. He started almost every game as a rookie. He's made the Pro Bowl 5 times. He's led the Eagles to the NFC Championship game five separate occasions and once to the Super Bowl. Thus, McNabb, however you feel about him personally, has led a very distinguished career.

In the trades, journeymen are generally contrasted to those who have earned professional degrees by graduating from college. McNabb is much more like a professional than a journeyman in this context (highly rated prospect, started almost immediately).

Another context is that many tradesmen (going back centuries to the trade guilds in Europe) served their apprenticeship and had to travel afar to establish their own work area. Myself and many of my fellow tradesmen have traveled to different locals to find work.

McNabb has spent his entire career in Philly.

So it is pretty inaccurate to call him a journeyman.

Jeremy, as a journeyman electrician and a longtime sports fan, I have to agree with Dan that your characterization of McNabb as a journeyman is very inaccurate.

You cite the definition:

He was chosen 2nd overall in his draft class. He started almost every game as a rookie. He's made the Pro Bowl 5 times. He's led the Eagles to the NFC Championship game five separate occasions and once to the Super Bowl. Thus, McNabb, however you feel about him personally, has led a very distinguished career.

In the trades, journeymen are generally contrasted to those who have earned professional degrees by graduating from college. McNabb is much more like a professional than a journeyman in this context (highly rated prospect, started almost immediately).

Another context is that many tradesmen (going back centuries to the trade guilds in Europe) served their apprenticeship and had to travel afar to establish their own work area. Myself and many of my fellow tradesmen have traveled to different locals to find work.

McNabb has spent his entire career in Philly.

So it is pretty inaccurate to call him a journeyman.

McNabb is from Philly? He "learned" the game of Football in Philly not Syracuse? You're also assuming that both definitions apply to the statement at the same time. I think it's a fair statement that he has served an apprenticeship and is a skilled worker in another's employ.

I think many football players define "Journeyman" who have successful, but not stellar careers.

Dude, thanks for posting that link. I laughed so hard I thought I was going to wake up the wife and kids. Absolutely classic material. :ph34r:

But...But.. the FO were complete morons for taking a lazy UDFA and trading his overrated hold out ass for a 1st round pick...right?

The guy had all the talent in the world but had one solid season. He may become a great player...right now it was a win for the Bills to dump him and draft Wood.....(assuming his leg heals.)

Cue the Peter's apologists....

McNabb is from Philly? He "learned" the game of Football in Philly not Syracuse? You're also assuming that both definitions apply to the statement at the same time. I think it's a fair statement that he has served an apprenticeship and is a skilled worker in another's employ.

Jeremy, this will be my last post on this subject as I don't engage in pissing matches anymore.

You're way off on this one.

Your first point:

"McNabb is from Philly? He "learned" the game of Football in Philly not Syracuse?"

How many NFL players grew up, played college and pro football in the same city? Virtually everyone in the NFL is from somewhere other than where they play professionally. By your above argument in italics, every NFL player is a journeyman. Is that what you're saying? Because you hadn't made that argument before.

Your second point:

"I think it's a fair statement that he has served an apprenticeship and is a skilled worker in another's employ."

The definition you posted used the adjectives: qualified, experienced, competent, undistinguished.

A five time Pro Bowler who was drafted 2nd overall and was the 2004 Offensive Player of the Year is not undistinguished. By objective measure, McNabb is an elite player.

Your characterization of McNabb as a journeyman is misguided.

I think many football players define "Journeyman" who have successful, but not stellar careers.

Nope.

All sports fans I know consider a journeyman athlete as one who has played on a number of different teams.

Anyway, for as bad as Bills QB's are, I don't want McNabb anywhere near OBD, except as an opponent.

McNabb is totally gone. The vultures have been circling for about a year and a half now. The Eagles take 0 cap hit to move him this off-season and there's no way he plays out the last year of his deal. There is zero chance he's in Philly next year.

Vick will be dealt too. It will be interesting to see which one fetches a higher price since McNabb is older and more expensive.

why would philly deal themselves down to last place by doing this? that would be like the sabres letting drury and brierre walk.

If Dallas lost, then almost assuridly Wade would've been out, creating another (and more attractive) head coaching opening. Is this the last factor for the candidates to ponder?

I still don't think Carolina and Tennesse are settled just yet...neither coach is popular with its owner right now.

I still don't think Carolina and Tennesse are settled just yet...neither coach is popular with its owner right now.

Also, and these are not necessarily attractive openings, but the talk continues that Tom Cable in Oakland and Jack Del Rio in Jacksonville might be fired this week. Both are scheduled to meet with ownership this week.

I'm not sure why so many people have their panties in a bunch over Cowher. There are a lot of quality coaching candidates out there - some coordinators and some with previous HC experience - and the Bills are in the unique situation of being the only team looking for a HC.

Sure the Bills have failed in the past when it comes to hiring "hot" coordinators but that has absolutely no bearing on this hire. Those were hires of Donahoe. Granted, nobody is sure what type of GM Nix will be but none-the-less those past hires have no bearing on this hire (just like the hiring of Jauron by Levy has no bearing on the success or failure of Cowher, Marty, etc.)

I swear people just want to set themselves up for a let down. Do I hope the Bill land Cowher? Sure, he'd be my top pick but if they don't get him there are a lot of other qualified guys who I think could do a good job. Cowher is not the only guy who can win games for the Bills...

I'm glad they won because Wade is a good coach. He deserved to win. I think the Bills would have seen more playoffs had he remained the coach and I felt his leaving Buffalo was unfortunate due to a QB controversy that somehow is still ongoing.

It frees up a what is (currently) a solid journeyman QB to the league. We may not get McNabb (I'm OK with that), but that means another team may not be looking at other QB options via the draft, trade or free agency who can play keeper while build the offensive line and find the franchise QB we need.

It keeps an attractive coaching vacancy closed. I doubt Cowher takes the Dallas job if it's available (I don't think he's taking the Bills job either), but some other solid candidates might go that way. I'd be more worried about the assistants that would be available looking to Dallas first and I don't see much of Wade's staff looking to Buffalo for jobs if they were fired.

I always like to see destiny flipped upside down. I know the Eagles were a lock for 19-0 with Peters and his 11 million dollar price tag this year. He looked like an all-pro out there today as well, but sometimes destiny just isn't enough. Just like fourty whoppers sometimes isn't enough for Jason.

It also means we'll see the Vick ouster happen sooner rather than later. A QB who fits right in with the Bills current crop of QBs. I'm looking forward to the competition between theses for jobs. Perhaps they could combine like Voltron to form one complete season of halfway decent Quarterbacking in the NFL.

False Wade was fired because he wouldnt fire his Special Teams coach.I believe his name was Ronnie Jones.Remember Wades statement about "Hes a Punt Catcher?That is why he was Fired He refused to change Special Teams coachs.

why would philly deal themselves down to last place by doing this? that would be like the sabres letting drury and brierre walk.

:flirt:

But seriously, Reid drafted Kolb to supplant McNabb and he performed pretty well when tossed in there this year. The Eagles have gone to great lengths NOT to extend McNabb's contract this year even though this is typically when they extend a player they want to keep. If you get to the last year of a deal as an Eagle the writing is on the wall. Check out what they did with Brian Dawkins last year. They let his deal expire, then low-balled him and let him walk. It's certainly didn't make them better defensively as safety was a trouble spot all year long.

As a person who has been subjected to the Eagle front office for nearly 15 years now trust me, this is as good as done and the fan base is throwing him under the bus just as badly.

Re: Vick, there's no way he stays as a 6.5 million dollar back-up next year (what his deal escalates to) and I don't think Reid sees him as the starter so they have to deal him too.