Flutie curse lifted

major

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't recall saying I was a RJ homer or that I agreed w/the decision you jack a$$. Where exactly did I say that? I commented on the fact he made a great throw to PP, was poised through out the game etc... Read the post. I said that could have been his defining moment. Never mentioned the rest of his career etc. BTW... the turn around in the 98 season started in game 4 w/ Johnson at QB vs. the 49's.

If I'm not mistaken Flutie only becomes QB after Johnson falls on the ball and hurts his ribs in Indy, another game they were winning with Johnson. Again, I'm not saying I was a fan of Johnson, I'm just pointing out things that actually happened back then at the time. Myself, I preferred Flutie back then. They would win ugly and he would do the little things. BTW Flutie didn't get run out of town until the new regime took over after 2000 season. Back then, I too thought they should have kept Flutie over Johnson but that wasn't what my post was about.

Johnson's performance in the 49ers game is kind of overstated. The 49ers just didn't mentally show up for the game. They had something like 25 penalties that day. And eventually they did wake up and almost came back to win it.

I agree with you that RJ did a heckuva job against the Titans; I don't think that winning the game would have altered the future for him. He was just a fragile guy (his wikipedia entry describes his elbow tendon before Tommy John surgery as being frayed from overuse; if I were him, I'd edit that myself, because that's just embarrassing), and he reacted horribly to defensive pressure.

Somebody here asks the question, why is this still going on? Here's an answer: Johnson's fans, much like Edwards' fans today, have a litany of excuses why their man doesn't do better. Which is fine. Until they forget that the guy they don't like is winning with the same bad O-line, the same dumb coaches, etc.

Getting rid of Flutie was the BEST move they ever made. I hated him at QB. His run first and throw when he felt like it was a joke and every decent defense that he played figured him out and shut him down,

Now for the truth: (as Bills) Johnson: 1 rush per 6.0 pass attempts. Flutie, 1 rush per 6.2 pass attempts.

Do I have to drag out the sacks per pass attempt stat, too?

More like: Bills fans...still bitter that the Johnson fans would rather lose games than admit they were wrong.

You must have forgotten how the 1998 season ended. And you must have forgotten that the Bills led by Johnson HAD THE GAME WON.

I'll forgive you, but only because it was A DECADE AGO.

You must have forgotten how the 1998 season ended. And you must have forgotten that the Bills led by Johnson HAD THE GAME WON.

The Bills weren't led by Johnson or their anemic offense -- they were led by the defense, and in particular Bruce Smith. They completely shut down the Titans offense, which was playing at home, and Smith had two sacks.

You must have forgotten how the 1998 season started; and you must have forgotten how things worked out the next season, too. And the one after that.

You must have forgotten how the 1998 season started; and you must have forgotten how things worked out the next season, too. And the one after that.

Huzzah for Flutie for most of 1998, boo for Flutie in the 1998 post-season. For ALL of 1999, he sucked on ice.