Ask Tim Graham: Part III

TimGraham

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a lot of personality issues in the NFL...........................

That's putting it mildly. Add in 24/7 coverage and you've got the rampant rumor mongering that's going on now. I think you're taking the right approach: Until a new coach is hired, everything is just speculation.

So what you are saying is there was some interest from other GM's around the league for the Bills job. Yet we do our normal knee jerk reaction and hire the closest warm body. I am all for hiring within but this is unprecedented. I know you have to be loyal to those that speak to you in confidence Tim but any insight on who we "could" have had would be great.

Also, I agree with you on the Frazier hire. I think he has been looked over for some time now. The only thing that turns me off is he would reportedly hire Al "the ALmanac Saunders to run the offense. While it is exciting we do not have a QB that can actually absorb his massive play book.

Any word about Russ Grimm being interviewed for the position as well?

Not other GMs. Other people who want to be GMs.

Tim,

Thx for the info. Also,a quick question. Any chance of Cam Cameron ever getting another shot at a NFL Headcoaching job?

I have mixed emotions on that. I covered that 2007 Dolphins team. It was a mess. He was misguided by his convictions, but I admired him for being authentic and -- although sometimes maddening to deal with -- true to his vision. The guy can coach a defense, and he's one of the classiest people I've ever covered.

But I do think he'll get another shot.

I have mixed emotions on that. I covered that 2007 Dolphins team. It was a mess. He was misguided by his convictions, but I admired him for being authentic and -- although sometimes maddening to deal with -- true to his vision. The guy can coach a defense, and he's one of the classiest people I've ever covered.

But I do think he'll get another shot.

Tim, isn't Cameron an offensive guy??

Sorry, I had to! It's not every day I get to correct a national sports writer...

Tim,

Thanks for anwering my previous question. I have one more than I'll leave you alone. Ok,how am I supposed to take Todd McShay seriously when he has Buffalo taking Trent Williams in the first round. I mean he has us spending a top 10 pick on a player who project's as a Right Tackle at the NFL level. I mean has he watched a Bill's game? We have a surplus of serviceable RT's. Brad Butler,Jamon Meredith,even Jonathon Scott can play RT. We need a LT,or a LB,or a WR, not a RT.

Tim,

Thanks for anwering my previous question. I have one more than I'll leave you alone. Ok,how am I supposed to take Todd McShay seriously when he has Buffalo taking Trent Williams in the first round. I mean he has us spending a top 10 pick on a player who project's as a Right Tackle at the NFL level. I mean has he watched a Bill's game? We have a surplus of serviceable RT's. Brad Butler,Jamon Meredith,even Jonathon Scott can play RT. We need a LT,or a LB,or a WR, not a RT.

Wha...??

Tim,

You seem high on young Schottenheimer, but is success as an OC not primarily due to a bevy of first round picks as Olinemen and QB? How does being a wizard coordinator loaded with personnel translate into a good HC?

Isn't this just a coin toss if he's brought in or are you thinking his dad will also play a role?

No love for the Jim Kelly question, Tim?

I do appreciate the time you take to answer these.

Tim,

I have a similar ownership related question which I'm hoping you might have some insight into. With Mr. Goodell being from Western NY, do you think he might actually go above and beyond to keep the team in Buffalo when the time comes? For example, might he consider allowing Buffalo to become another publicly owned team, like the Packers? I understand there are many practical reasons why this unlikely, but would he have the power to do so? Or might he exert some influence to make sure the team goes to an ownership group committed to keeping the team in WNY?

Tim,

Any chance or talks that the Bills might consider switching to a 3-4 defensive alignment when they change coaching staffs? Maybin would fit that defense quite well but I'm not sure they have the space eating NT or big MLB necessary (although that could change quickly with all the free agent NTs, and if they drafted a guy like Rolando McClain). Could a guy like Stroud or Kyle Williams fit into that defense as a 3-4 DE? Seems like a way to aid the run defense if they added some size on that side of the ball. Thanks for doing this and for the input.

TO and Josh Reed are FA's this offseason. That leaves Evans,Hardy,Johnson,and Parrish as our recievers. And while I still like Hardy,and Johnson,we need to bring in another reciever.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but Johnson and Hardy are in their third seasons. They should both be on the field. Assuming Reed isn't re-signed and Parrish isn't traded, he still makes an excellent fourth option. Justin Jenkins can even be a #4. There are considerably more important positions to look at like LT, QB, LB, DE (again), coach (hah) over WR.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but Johnson and Hardy are in their third seasons. They should both be on the field. Assuming Reed isn't re-signed and Parrish isn't traded, he still makes an excellent fourth option. Justin Jenkins can even be a #4. There are considerably more important positions to look at like LT, QB, LB, DE (again), coach (hah) over WR.

Open your eyes people, the Bills needs a legit #1 WR especially with TO gone. Lee is at best a #3 or #4.

Open your eyes people, the Bills needs a legit #1 WR especially with TO gone. Lee is at best a #3 or #4.

My God, some people. #3 or #4 at best? Are you on drugs? Can I have some? He might not be a bonafide #1, but let's settle down with the hyperbole, alright? If they don't like it and want Owens back, then do what it takes to get him back, be it a raise, a franchise tag, or whatever. But there are so many holes beyond WR on this team it's not even funny. Besides, teams have been successful with far less. The Patriots won super bowls with Troy Brown, David Givens, and Deion Branch. The Eagles went to NFC Championship games with Todd Pinkston, Freddie Mitchell, and Greg Lewis. I'll take my chances with Evans/Johnson/Hardy/Parrish if we can get a competent guy to get him the ball and a competent LT to protect him, not to mention a competent coach to prepare them and call the plays.

Again, apologies for hijacking this thread.

Tim-thanks for noting how Buffalo is an organizational mess in your article regarding Kugler's hiring.

The Bills have had as many declinations for interviews (one) as they have interviews since Frazier's meet and greet. Have you ever heard of a coordinator turning down an opportunity for advancement?

My God, some people. #3 or #4 at best? Are you on drugs? Can I have some? He might not be a bonafide #1, but let's settle down with the hyperbole, alright? If they don't like it and want Owens back, then do what it takes to get him back, be it a raise, a franchise tag, or whatever. But there are so many holes beyond WR on this team it's not even funny. Besides, teams have been successful with far less. The Patriots won super bowls with Troy Brown, David Givens, and Deion Branch. The Eagles went to NFC Championship games with Todd Pinkston, Freddie Mitchell, and Greg Lewis. I'll take my chances with Evans/Johnson/Hardy/Parrish if we can get a competent guy to get him the ball and a competent LT to protect him, not to mention a competent coach to prepare them and call the plays.

Again, apologies for hijacking this thread.

Lee has average 50 catches per year for the last 3 years. In 2009, with TO taking the double team off of him, Lee had 44 catches for 600 yards. Those are stats for a rookie. When was the last time he showed any aggressiveness on the field? There are 10 to 15 teams he would not start for. He is a number 3 n any good team. Remember everyone had to be careful not to call him the number 2 when TO signed so he would not get upset. He has showed nothing for three years and less than nothing once he signed his fat cat deal that is two years old.