Assume the Position

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The negotiator is the messenger and executor of his/her organization's strategy. If the philosophy is "we want this guy, but don't want to pay over x $" or "this guy has the ability to be our franchise OT, make it happen", then the negotiator is expected to deliver on that. We have to give Buddy Nix the opportunity to change the mindset at OBD to that of a winning football organization that retains its star players and builds through the draft.

The guy that you call "the negotiator" has cut players on his own authority. Is there any clearer indictment of bottomline trumping football?

It's comical that so many people suggest that members of the inner circle have no power or influence and therefore deserve the benefit of the doubt.

The guy that you call "the negotiator" has cut players on his own authority. Is there any clearer indictment of bottomline trumping football?

It's comical that so many people suggest that members of the inner circle have no power or influence and therefore deserve the benefit of the doubt.

where's your proof?

I'm the first to admit that the bottom line has been a huge part of the current strategy, the inner circle has made the football decisions for a long time, and that needs to change.

Friends, we all need to take a deep breath. I agree with one of the earlier posts: we need to wait and see how things unfold in the next few weeks. This is not me accepting the bleak reality, or suggesting that the fans don't deserve better. We deserve better. Lets see if they are serious about keeping the Bills in Buffalo.

Thanks, man.

Another point to mention is that historically speaking, as far as I have ever read, a candidate always flies or is flown into a potential team.

It just seems to me, as you mentioned, that ALL of the candidates (even the ones not currently employed) don't care to travel to the Bills to interview and instead the Bills are flying everywhere to meet with them.

It may or may not be league rules for an employed coach (which I don't believe it to be), but I ain't buying it.

It appears to me that something doth stink in Bills land. Something the rest of the league knows but the Bills are not admitting to.

It absolutely IS a league rule that interviews with employed coaches be conducted at a time and place that are convenient for the club for which that coach currently works. It's in the Anti-Tampering Policy:

Head-Coaching Opportunity. If a club is interested in discussing its head

coaching position with an assistant coach whose playing season (excluding Pro

Bowl) is over, and who is contractually obligated to another club, the assistant

coach’s employer club must permit the coach the opportunity to discuss, and

possibly accept, such employment through March 1 of any year. After March 1,

the employer club is under no obligation to grant such permission, but it may be

voluntarily granted at the employer club’s discretion during the off-season.

The following postseason procedure applies if a club (the inquiring club)

is interested in discussing its vacant head coaching position with an

assistant coach whose employer club is participating in the playoffs:

a) The owner or operating head of the inquiring club may contact the owner or

operating head of the employer club to request written permission to discuss

its head coaching position with an assistant coach.

b) If the employer club elects to grant permission to the inquiring club, the one

(1) interview between the inquiring club and the assistant coach must be

conducted at any location acceptable to the employer club and at a time that

is convenient for the employer club. For clubs that have byes in the Wild

Card weekend, interviews of its coaches must be conducted prior to the

conclusion of Wild Card games. For assistant coaches of clubs that

participate in a Wild Card game and advance to the Divisional Playoffs,

interviews must be conducted after the Wild Card games and prior to the

conclusion of Divisional Playoff games. An inquiring club is permitted only

one interview with an assistant coach while his team is competing in the

postseason, and there shall be no other direct or indirect contact between any

employee or agent of the inquiring club and the assistant coach or any

representative or agent of the assistant coach. No initial interviews may be

requested nor granted after the Divisional Playoff weekend for any assistant

coach whose team is still participating in the postseason. However, in any

year in which there is at least a two-week break between the conference

championship games and the Super Bowl, an assistant coach who (i) has

previously interviewed for another club’s head coaching job and (ii) whose

current employer-club is participating in the Super Bowl may have a second

interview with a club with which he has previously interviewed for an open

head coach position provided that (i) the current employer-club elects to

grant permission for a second interview, and (ii) the interview will take

place at a time and location that is acceptable for the current employer-club,

but no later than the Sunday preceding the Super Bowl.

c) No contract shall be executed, and no agreement to execute a contract, or an

announcement of a contract or of an agreement for employment, shall be

permitted until after the conclusion of the employer club’s playing season.

d) If a club elects to grant permission for one of its assistant coaches to

interview for a head coaching position, it must grant permission to all

inquiring clubs that seek to interview him. Permission cannot be granted

selectively.

e) If a club elects to grant permission for one of its assistant coaches to

interview with an inquiring club or clubs, it may deny permission for

another member of its staff, provided that the denial is applicable to all

inquiring clubs.

And ordinarily, those teams probably wouldn't want their DC flying around the country to interview for other jobs. Per vikings.com:

The Vikings coaching staff will spend this week working ahead on preparations for the Dallas Cowboys and Philadelphia Eagles. It’s impossible to know at this point who the Vikings will play in the Divisional Round, but since they’ve played games this year already against Arizona and Green Bay, the staff is better-served to focus on Dallas and Philadelphia this week. And although the Vikings can’t play the Eagles unless they meet in the NFC Championship Game, it makes sense to prepare for the Eagles because they’ll encounter a lot of tape on Philadelphia as they prepare for the Cowboys (both teams play in the NFC East).

It absolutely IS a league rule that interviews with employed coaches be conducted at a time and place that are convenient for the club for which that coach currently works. It's in the Anti-Tampering Policy:

And ordinarily, those teams probably wouldn't want their DC flying around the country to interview for other jobs. Per vikings.com:

awesome. i love it when pesky little things like factual details get in the way of doom, gloom, and self-loathing.

The guy that has his fingerprints all over every contract is a "non-factor"? Really?

The negotiator is the messenger and executor of his/her organization's strategy. If the philosophy is "we want this guy, but don't want to pay over x {:content:}quot; or "this guy has the ability to be our franchise OT, make it happen", then the negotiator is expected to deliver on that. We have to give Buddy Nix the opportunity to change the mindset at OBD to that of a winning football organization that retains its star players and builds through the draft.

Exactly. Overdorf is doing the bidding of his master(s).

Peters - no excuse there. This organization blew that one. I don't understand how they could justify paying mediocre Dockery and Walker huge salaries but not pay Peters to market value? Huge mistake.

I agree with everything else you posted, except this. The Bills had given Peters a large raise just 2 years prior and said they'd give him another one after addressing Lee Evans' contract. Peters took this as an insult, used it as an excuse to give a poor effort while making "just" $4.5M.

QUOTE (Bob in STL @ Jan 7 2010, 12:30 PM)

Peters - no excuse there. This organization blew that one. I don't understand how they could justify paying mediocre Dockery and Walker huge salaries but not pay Peters to market value? Huge mistake.

I agree with everything else you posted, except this. The Bills had given Peters a large raise just 2 years prior and said they'd give him another one after addressing Lee Evans' contract. Peters took this as an insult, used it as an excuse to give a poor effort while making "just" $4.5M.

You make a good point but I am still livid about the way this was situation was handled. I don't understand how the Bills FO expected Peters agent to care about Lee Evans contract. Especially after they dumped Dockery and signed Owens.

What further irritates me is that we finally have 3 or 4 talented guys to play on the interior of the OL and now we have nothing at the tackles (except maybe Butler and he was drafted with a conversion to guard in mind).

The final straw of course is the Jauron/Brandon tandem not bringing in a veteran tackle, cutting Walker, and expecting Bell to do the job.

From now on I expect a real GM, such as Nix, to have control and be accountable for these decisions.

You make a good point but I am still livid about the way this was situation was handled. I don't understand how the Bills FO expected Peters agent to care about Lee Evans contract. Especially after they dumped Dockery and signed Owens.

What further irritates me is that we finally have 3 or 4 talented guys to play on the interior of the OL and now we have nothing at the tackles (except maybe Butler and he was drafted with a conversion to guard in mind).

The final straw of course is the Jauron/Brandon tandem not bringing in a veteran tackle, cutting Walker, and expecting Bell to do the job.

From now on I expect a real GM, such as Nix, to have control and be accountable for these decisions.

I think that the Bills expected Peters to honor his contract, until they took care of another player (Evans), whose contract expiring, first. This after taking care of Peters after just 2 years in the NFL and half a season starting. And the relationship was essentially severed after Peters' protracted holdout and poor season.

• 2 weeks later...
Bend over and grab your collective ankles because the big one is coming commando style from OBD within the next week or two. I have a feeling last week was only a tea-bagging with the Nix hiring compared to what is going to happen next. I can not believe the constituents of this destitute organization keep on digging even though rock bottom has been hit a long time ago. Forget the pipe dream of Cowher or Billick, it will never happen. Does anybody realize Shanahan took a three million dollar pay cut per year ($15 mil over 5 yrs) to join Snyder’s Third Reich (Buffalo’s supposed $10 mil. per yr. offer)? Let’s see, a jackass of an owner, the Modrak and Guy comedy act, a Billy Mays clone as CEO, a 70 year wildcard as the “football man,” a dilapidated stadium, a roster that would be challenged in the Big East Conference, no nationally televised games, daily headlines from liquored up billionaires claiming they are going to buy your team, 7 home games a season, and nowhere for the wife to spend money or get a tan and we wonder why Brandon and company are always flying to interview the candidate instead of the other way around?

I can careless about the ESPN Power ratings because this is the worst team in the NFL and statistics prove it. Brandon has been part of the hiring of Jauron, has not made one playoff appearance, traded a now three time Pro Bowl 27 year-old left tackle away, drafted Aaron Maybin (honestly, the worst pick I can ever recall), signed free agents like Fowler, Dockery, and Walker, supervised other horrid drafts like Ellis/Whitner/Lynch/Hardy, led the league more than once in IR fatalities, and what does Wilson do, promotes the man! This is like promoting the skipper of the Exxon Valdez to Admiral of the U.S. Navy or replacing the Federal Reserve Chairman, Ben Bernanke, with the CEO of GM or Chrysler. I guess we shouldn’t be surprised given this is the same guy that fired Polan, Butler, and A.J. Smith (one is dead, RIP, the other two are permanent fixtures in the January football sweepstakes)?

I see many of you have bought into Buddy’s gee I am an old football guy routine. I, on the other hand, am very concerned with what I have seen and heard so far: fires entire staff with no head coach nailed down (maybe Brandon thinks he can rehire them on the cheap like Gibran Hamden??), apparently was present when the Maybin card was sent up to commissioner Goodell (probably had a senior moment given he is six years short of the average male life expectancy in the U.S.) (I do give him credit for at least trying to distance himself from that move), and says at his presser he needs an experienced coach to turn this thing around, however his first two interviews are anything but experienced and both are Tampa 2 guys, which isn’t exactly cold weather power football?

Are people starting to get my drift that another OBD circle jerk is about to be sprung?

The only billboard we should be posting is begging Ed Roski Jr. to take this dead carcass off of the great city of Buffalo’s hands. I recommend the air traffic controller wannabe on this site change his focus to u-haul vans headed to LA for which we should be celebrating!

Remember vasoline is not an option with these guys at OBD

Remember vasoline is not an option with these guys at OBD

Perhaps they would be kind enough to offer a ball gag and leather zipper mask to the first twenty thousand ticket holders. Bill's fans have been beaten, mislead and held for ransom and my heart does go out to the true Bill-ievers who certainly deserve better than this. Your post was prophetic if anything - As you say - assume the position.

Perhaps they would be kind enough to offer a ball gag and leather zipper mask to the first twenty thousand ticket holders. Bill's fans have been beaten, mislead and held for ransom and my heart does go out to the true Bill-ievers who certainly deserve better than this. Your post was prophetic if anything - As you say - assume the position.

the safe word is "playoffs" :thumbsup:

Pipe - Welcome back. Glad to see the disturding bahavior at OBD has driven you to posting again. Frankly, your post is spot on, some folks here know it to be true, but most have their favorite stein filled to the brim with RW Koolaid. Prepare for this in the coming weeks; "insert name here was simply the best candidate for the position. As you know, we talked to Cower, Shannon, ETAL, however, after speaking with insert name here, the choice was obvious"...

Next comes rage on the part of this board....to which the team will try to make some big splash in free agency and announce that something is in place getting Jim Kelly actively involved as a part of the origanizaiton to (1) settle everyone down and (2) sell tickets. I am sorry, unlike most of the sheep here, while Kelly was a great player, he can do little for the team in his current capacity as an ex-NFL'er.

As you point out, perhaps the proper fate for this team and the cumulative psyche of WNY would be for them to leave and end this charade....

Anybody who wishes the Bills to leave town are at minimum traitors, more likely douchebags with no sense of loyalty. I have said they suck and seem to make all the wrong decisions, even on purpose sometimes. But they are the Bills, the team I love and I NEVER would want them to leave NEVER!