I'm Glad Bills Fired John Allaire, strength and conditioning coach

I have a strong suspicion he is over working the players, and it accounts for the unusually high injury level. I've been reading up a lot on the recent medical observations of fitness and it has me convinced the public is sold on over training. Part of this is ignorance and part of it is manufacturers trying to get us to buy more products, and gym owners trying to get us to buy memberships.

Basically our bodies need a lot more recovery time than people think. Football is the most demanding sport out there ... playing a game is something akin to several 30 mph car crashes. Basically football players shouldn't do any kind of physical conditioning during the season, as they need as much time to recover as possible from the games. Physical conditioning during the season just wears down muscles and joints, and makes players far more susceptible to injuries. Believe it or not, they'd be far better off being couch potatoes between games.

I am really hoping the new strength and conditioning coach shares this view ... because stats don't lie and the Bills players have consistently suffered a disproportionate amount of injuries for several seasons.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a strong suspicion he is over working the players, and it accounts for the unusually high injury level. I've been reading up a lot on the recent medical observations of fitness and it has me convinced the public is sold on over training. Part of this is ignorance and part of it is manufacturers trying to get us to buy more products, and gym owners trying to get us to buy memberships.

Basically our bodies need a lot more recovery time than people think. Football is the most demanding sport out there ... playing a game is something akin to several 30 mph car crashes. Basically football players shouldn't do any kind of physical conditioning during the season, as they need as much time to recover as possible from the games. Physical conditioning during the season just wears down muscles and joints, and makes players far more susceptible to injuries. Believe it or not, they'd be far better off being couch potatoes between games.

I am really hoping the new strength and conditioning coach shares this view ... because stats don't lie and the Bills players have consistently suffered a disproportionate amount of injuries for several seasons.

I don't know why but the Bills suffer waaaayy to many injuries. S&C coach has to go.

I wonder what his Rochester ads will say now? :devil:

I say injuries are on the rise across the NFL because of the OTA's. This is a very hard and violent sport, their bodies need REST in the offseason.

the NFL has become 24/7 and I think you are going to see way more horrible injuries more often and shorter careers. I hope our Strength Coach understands this and works in plenty of recovery time.

I say injuries are on the rise across the NFL because of the OTA's. This is a very hard and violent sport, their bodies need REST in the offseason.

the NFL has become 24/7 and I think you are going to see way more horrible injuries more often and shorter careers. I hope our Strength Coach understands this and works in plenty of recovery time.

i'd agree with that too, across the board everyone needs more recovery time. versus the popular idea of fitness we've been led to believe. but during the season with the toll it takes on their bodies i'd go as far as to say players need zero training. nada, none, nothing ... they need as much reovery time as possible, and even then they're likely to lose muscle and generate excess wear and tear. the goal during the season is to minimize this loss as much as possible.

i'd agree with that too, across the board everyone needs more recovery time. versus the popular idea of fitness we've been led to believe. but during the season with the toll it takes on their bodies i'd go as far as to say players need zero training. nada, none, nothing ... they need as much reovery time as possible, and even then they're likely to lose muscle and generate excess wear and tear. the goal during the season is to minimize this loss as much as possible.

I can't remember any long list of injuries during the season happening back when Levy was running the "Club Marv" Training Camps. IIRC, the Cowboys ran a rigorous camp and they beat the Bills twice. :devil: I don't know enough about training, but whatever mistakes that mook was making I hope are corrected by the new S&C coach.

Where for art thou next Rusty Jones?

I remember the number of injuries increasing when Wade Philips left and especially when Rusty Jones left. The Bills seemed to always be injured. I also have a vague memory of someone telling me that all strength and conditioning coaches are created equal.

On the other hand, I think the whole undersided defense is also part of the problem. Buddy Nix is right on that.

wow. i am so happy you are not our strength and conditioning coach. "yea guys....now that were done practice and this is the time when you used to do strength training....but not anymore. Lets head down the local bar, drink some suds and each eat a couple pizza's, a few dozen wings, a handful of peanuts, a bowl of potato chips n dip, a cheesecake, a slice of sheppards pie, some spaghetti and meatballs, a dozen donuts, a t-bone steak and a plate of french fries. And tommarow when we are supposed to be doing our cardio fitness training, we'll just skip that and hit up the Mandarin Buffett instead. You guys will be in such horrible shape that you wont have to worry about getting injured this year at all because you'l be too !@#$ING FAT TO MAKE THE TEAM!"

very foolish, buddy. bull ****. Cardio, yoga, strength training, plyometrics, martial arts, and isometrics. week in/week out.

wow. i am so happy you are not our strength and conditioning coach. "yea guys....now that were done practice and this is the time when you used to do strength training....but not anymore. Lets head down the local bar, drink some suds and each eat a couple pizza's, a few dozen wings, a handful of peanuts, a bowl of potato chips n dip, a cheesecake, a slice of sheppards pie, some spaghetti and meatballs, a dozen donuts, a t-bone steak and a plate of french fries. And tommarow when we are supposed to be doing our cardio fitness training, we'll just skip that and hit up the Mandarin Buffett instead. You guys will be in such horrible shape that you wont have to worry about getting injured this year at all because you'l be too !@#$ING FAT TO MAKE THE TEAM!"

very foolish, buddy. bull ****. Cardio, yoga, strength training, plyometrics, martial arts, and isometrics. week in/week out.

thanks for ridiculously exaggerating what i said, on a very serious health matter. nice work fella. you're obviously sold on over training. i wish you the best of luck in still being able to walk as you age. most marathoners end up old biologically old well before their time and many barely able to walk. and just look at all the fatties busting their butts on stairmasters "week in/week out" before lecturing anyone. weight management is all about calories consumed, you cannot "burn off" fat with cardio from over eating, another huge myth. at most you may be able to generate excess calorie usage of around 250 in an intense workout session which is nothing compared to the calorie intake of over eating. and most people simply increase their calorie intake above and beyond what the burn in a gym anyone, to compensate. working off excess eating ... especially sugars ... would mean coming close to death. something the messengers in ancient greece did all the time at the end of their runs (i.e. the original marathon runners for whom the race was named after.)

I'm sorry. I thought you said a coach on the Bills' staff was over working the players? There's absolutely no evidence that anyone on the team worked too much; if anything, I'd say underworked.

I do agree. The players need more rest and recovery. But, I'm not ready to put any blame on OTA's. Unless they're doing alot of hitting and running that they don't video tape, but I've never even seen them raise a sweat in the OTA sessions. They're certainly not doing any hitting.

OTA's are non-contact, so I don't really see how that affects them. I mean non-contact injuries could happen in your home (Artest for example).

I'm sorry. I thought you said a coach on the Bills' staff was over working the players? There's absolutely no evidence that anyone on the team worked too much; if anything, I'd say underworked.

I do agree. The players need more rest and recovery. But, I'm not ready to put any blame on OTA's. Unless they're doing alot of hitting and running that they don't video tape, but I've never even seen them raise a sweat in the OTA sessions. They're certainly not doing any hitting.

what i said is i have a strong suspicion he is over working them based on the consistently high degree of injuries we suffer. with no other information that would be my preliminary conclusion. undersized team doesn't explain it since our biggest lb mitchell went down, our biggest db mcgee was down for a good part of the year and the biggest unit on the team the ol was devestated.

over training is not simply hitting during practice. it's also any kind of weight or endurance training, even stretching can add to the problem because it puts muscles and joints in their weakest position.

bottom line no matter the cause is the bills excess injury problem needs further study. the team simple isn't competitive this way and it's not fair to the players from a safety perspective

what i said is i have a strong suspicion he is over working them based on the consistently high degree of injuries we suffer. with no other information that would be my preliminary conclusion. undersized team doesn't explain it since our biggest lb mitchell went down, our biggest db mcgee was down for a good part of the year and the biggest unit on the team the ol was devestated.

over training is not simply hitting during practice. it's also any kind of weight or endurance training, even stretching can add to the problem because it puts muscles and joints in their weakest position.

bottom line no matter the cause is the bills excess injury problem needs further study. the team simple isn't competitive this way and it's not fair to the players from a safety perspective

Based on the evidence to the contrary, underworked they are not. The Club Marv approach does not prepare their bodies for the rigors of being hit during on Sundays.

Not hitting, no practicing in the elements. this team is soft and soft players get injured.

Based on the evidence to the contrary, underworked they are not. The Club Marv approach does not prepare their bodies for the rigors of being hit during on Sundays.

Not hitting, no practicing in the elements. this team is soft and soft players get injured.

over worked players get weaker, lose muscle and get slower because their bodies dont have time to recover ... all of that dramatically increases injury risk.

let me ask you, if it's true that an nfl football game is equivalent to being in multiple 30 mph car crashes (or whatever the figure was), if you were in actual crashes like that would your doctor immediately prescribe hitting the gym for weight training, running 5 miles, getting into more crashes, etc? of course not, you'd probably spend the night in a hospital under observation and when you were discharged told to get plenty of rest and take it easy for an extended period.

over worked players get weaker, lose muscle and get slower because their bodies dont have time to recover ... all of that dramatically increases injury risk.

let me ask you, if it's true that an nfl football game is equivalent to being in multiple 30 mph car crashes (or whatever the figure was), if you were in actual crashes like that would your doctor immediately prescribe hitting the gym for weight training, running 5 miles, getting into more crashes, etc? of course not, you'd probably spend the night in a hospital under observation and when you were discharged told to get plenty of rest and take it easy for an extended period.

Do you really think that a strength and conditioning coach working for Dick Jaruon was over working the players? How could you ever come to that conclusion?

i'm not buying that NFL s&c guys don't know this.