Best of Luck Perry

bigskyfan

They had a team high in interceptions thanks to Byrd. Aside from that, their pass defense was decent, but they were never really tested. They ended up top 5 this year in many stats because teams didn't need to pass to beat them.

Not really true...they still faced nearly 33 passes per game on average...

teams did try and attack them deep but they weren't very successful most times...

Average passer stats against Bills this year:

18 for 32 for 184 yards .8 TDs and 1.75 INT's with a passer rating of 61.1

Pretty crappy stats any way you look at it. And since teams were able to run the ball that effectively against us, it should have made it easier to pass not harder, since they had play action which theoretically should have allowed easier completions downfield as the linebackers and safeties bit on the fake...

Byrd had 9 interceptions on the year. Even without Byrd, the Bills would have 19 interceptions, placing them tied for 8th most in the NFL. Hardly a one man show as you make it sound...

They played some high powered passing offenses. Why are people afraid to give any credit to any bright spots on this team? The Saints, for example, would have loved to blow out the Bills in the air but couldn't.

It is easier to hide bad coaching on the defensive side of the ball. Defense is much less complicated. Still he had moments like allowing 8 straight TD's to NE in a home game, and allowing 200 plus yards rushing twice to a division rival in the same season and so on.

Yeah, they had a good pass defense ranking this year(and in his first season), but their run defense was perhaps the worst in the league. When you can't stop the run, why would teams throw the ball? For the most part, they didn't.

Nowadays, DC's make their money by pressuring the passer. Fewell has been a COMPLETE failure in that regard. I really can't wait to get a DC in here who actually knows how to get pressure on Tom Brady.

This defense was one of the best in the league against the pass and with two better OLBs is probably a top 10 defense in the league. They kept this team in games and in every game except two just wore out. The D is not the problem the lack of a QB is, and that is the biggest thing that needs to be addressed.

Perry is as good as any other coaching candidate except Cowher (obviously). Haslett, Rivera, B Schottenheimer, J Harbaugh. Really? Do any of those guys get you excited? M Martz in Buffalo running that offense with no QB? B Billick who was run out of Baltimore. We need Cowher or else you might as well just stay with Fewell as the other are not inspiring at all.

I truly think if we had won that game in Jacksonville and beat NE he might have a more solid chance.

But his D was the worst against the rush in the league...big negative. May have cost him the job.

But to his credit he did manage to get the team ready to play, lack of any offence really hurt.

Good job in naming Fred Jackson the starter.

Bad timing, he would have done better if half the team wasn't on IR.

I wonder if he was forced to play that Cover 2 by Juaron??? No way you could change it during the middle of the season.

I will watch his career closely because I really like the guy.

I truly think if we had won that game in Jacksonville and beat NE he might have a more solid chance.

But his D was the worst against the rush in the league...big negative. May have cost him the job.

Actually it wasn't. Tampa Bay and Kansas City were worse...

Perry came in to a bad situation and made the games mostly fun to watch. He got the most that could be gotten out of a lot of guys who probably should not be starting in the NFL. Plus, after 3 years of DJ he showed emotion on the sideline, which was nice to see. He had fun and all Bills fans should be happy we were the start of his HC career. I wish him the best of luck.

Both in the 2007 and 2009 season, I thought Perry's defense played well considering the personal he was given to deal with,,,,lots of injuries in 07 too, but the defense kept the billin games when the offenses couldn't score points out of the single digits. I hope we get Cowher,,,but what I really hope for is that we get rid of modrak and guy, and bring in some scouts and personnel people who know how to evaluate talent.

Bills actually tied for 6th in the NFL in fewest yards allowed per play...interesting...

There's no silly stat that can sway me away from what I saw on the field this year. Our defense was below average this season. Our ability to creat turnovers was about the only highlight. We need to rebuild this defense to be dominant in the cold weather again. I am very, very tired of having a small, weak defense. We need some strength upfront, guys that simply wear out the opponent.

At the same time, thank you for taking that crappy cover 2 scheme with you on the way out. It is going to really hard in the AFC East to not stop the Run and win. We have been horrible in stopping the run and the injuries have nothing to do with it. The schemes repeatedly put the LBs out of position to stop plays from going for long gains.

The cover 2 sucks don't get me wrong. It wasn't the scheme that put our LB's out of position. Its stupid undersized non instinctive LB's. Tampa, Indianapolis and Chicago went to superbowls with the cover 2. If we switch to a different defense with the same personel we will still suck. We need talent.

Congratulations on your win today Perry and for having the team ready to play. You won three games with a bunch of guys that should be in street clothes instead of football uniforms. While you most likely won't be with the Bills next year, thank you for staying and fighting when the team could have mailed it in seven games ago. You proved you have a lot of moxie to get these guys ready to play......if only we had your enthusiasm from the front office.

:rolleyes: