Brand J

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Any sport. I'll start -

One that stands out in my mind was from like 20 years ago. Bills vs Houston if I remember correctly. Oilers had the ball. Pass play to the receiver; he catches the ball and lands with both feet inbounds. He almost immediately gets hit from behind and coughs up the ball and the Bills recover inbounds. The refs talk it over and I figure it's gonna be one of two things - either a fumble with a Bills' recovery or an incomplete pass. Guess what? It's neither. They give the ball to the oilers at the spot he fumbled. Gave the oilers a first down and kept the clock moving. Don't remember who won but I think it was the oilers...

I always remember a loss to NE in 1998. It was in NE of course and a phantom pass interference call was made at the very end of the game. My memory is kind of sketchy so if anyone has a better read on the situation, please share. The very next play was a TD pass from Bledsoe to Ben Coates that ended the game. Those gutless :bag: ran right off the field like they knew they stole the game. :worthy: This is where the hatred, really started to grow.

Ben Coates used to tear us up. That guy gave me nightmares.

I hate the Pats, but the roughing call on Pats DE Sugar Bear Hamilton on 4th down in the 1975 Raiders-Pats playoff game was the worst ever (Ben Dreith was the ref - that's what he's infamous for). A true joke of a call, and it led to the Pats losing a game they should have won by all rights. I like to think of the tuck rule as "Sugar Bear payback."

One that stands out in my mind was from like 20 years ago. Bills vs Houston if I remember correctly. Oilers had the ball. Pass play to the receiver; he catches the ball and lands with both feet inbounds. He almost immediately gets hit from behind and coughs up the ball and the Bills recover inbounds. The refs talk it over and I figure it's gonna be one of two things - either a fumble with a Bills' recovery or an incomplete pass. Guess what? It's neither. They give the ball to the oilers at the spot he fumbled. Gave the oilers a first down and kept the clock moving. Don't remember who won but I think it was the oilers...

I remember that one.. as I recall, the refs ruled that at the point of contact the WRs forward progress had been stopped, therefore the play was over. Bul**hit call, if there ever was one.

Any sport. I'll start -

FUNNIEST:

It was the 98-99 season and the Philadelphia Eagles were a terrible team (season before McNabb). I kid you not and I remember it to this day - the Eagles were about to run a play, but the referee blew his whistle, threw his flag, and came running out to announce the call:

"False start, on the offense. The ENTIRE offensive line. 5 yard penalty, repeat 3rd down"

Hilarious! How does an entire offensive line false start?!

There was a Bills-KC MNF in '91 or '92; the Bills had completed a pass, so they thought, the call was challenged and reversed, and the ball was set 10 YARDS BEHIND WHERE IT WAS LAST SPOTTED, and no one on field noticed. It became an ad hoc 10 yard penalty, and the Bills had to punt after not making up the phantom yardage. Somehow, during teh Kelly years, Arrowhead Stadium was a house of horrors in more ways than one.

NHL - the world leader in bizarre calls:

I think it was a playoff game, Calgary vs Edmonton, a Calgary player visiously speared an Edmonton player, the ref doesn't see it, play continues, and Calgary scores. Afterward, they see a player spralled out on the ice, the linesman told the ref there was a spearing penalty (a major and game misconduct) before the goal, BUT THE GOAL STILL COUNTED!

NBA

Buffalo Braves are called for a foul in the last seconds of a playoff game between the Celtics. Replay cannot find teh foul. Foul shots are made and Braves went from a game winner to playoff elimination on that "foul". After reading recent articles on the NBA's penchant for favoring big markets (as how the Lakers got to the finals 2 years ago), makes you wonder.

MLB

World Series, bases loaded, Darryl Strawberry at the plate, 9th inning, winning run on 3rd, Strawberry leans into each pitch, and gets ball calls and walks in teh winning run. Replay shows pitches were strikes and Straw's lean influenced the ump.

Can't forget the Yanks getting a HR against the Orioles when a 12 year old caught a fly ball leaning over the outfield wall. Replays showed it was interference and should have been an out. Yanks win the WS and teh 12 year old gets to join them in the victory parade.

There was a Bills-KC MNF in '91 or '92; the Bills had completed a pass, so they thought, the call was challenged and reversed, and the ball was set 10 YARDS BEHIND WHERE IT WAS LAST SPOTTED, and no one on field noticed. It became an ad hoc 10 yard penalty, and the Bills had to punt after not making up the phantom yardage. Somehow, during teh Kelly years, Arrowhead Stadium was a house of horrors in more ways than one.

NHL - the world leader in bizarre calls:

I think it was a playoff game, Calgary vs Edmonton, a Calgary player visiously speared an Edmonton player, the ref doesn't see it, play continues, and Calgary scores. Afterward, they see a player spralled out on the ice, the linesman told the ref there was a spearing penalty (a major and game misconduct) before the goal, BUT THE GOAL STILL COUNTED!

NBA

Buffalo Braves are called for a foul in the last seconds of a playoff game between the Celtics. Replay cannot find teh foul. Foul shots are made and Braves went from a game winner to playoff elimination on that "foul". After reading recent articles on the NBA's penchant for favoring big markets (as how the Lakers got to the finals 2 years ago), makes you wonder.

MLB

World Series, bases loaded, Darryl Strawberry at the plate, 9th inning, winning run on 3rd, Strawberry leans into each pitch, and gets ball calls and walks in teh winning run. Replay shows pitches were strikes and Straw's lean influenced the ump.

Can't forget the Yanks getting a HR against the Orioles when a 12 year old caught a fly ball leaning over the outfield wall. Replays showed it was interference and should have been an out. Yanks win the WS and teh 12 year old gets to join them in the victory parade.

NHL - How about "No Goal"?

NBA - Where the most corrupt refs reside..

NHL - How about "No Goal"?

NBA - Where the most corrupt refs reside..

"No Goal" for sure. The most bizzarre aspect of that was how fast the NHL and Bettman rolled out the red carpet and presented the cup as if they had to catch a plane in half an hour. Linde wouldn't address the media until he got an explanation for the goal, and the NHL changed the In the Crease rules that summer.

Any one of a number of games officaited by Phil Luckett. The most ridiculous one having to be the blown coin flip. :bag:

After that incidient, and another that I can't recall at the moment.. he was busted down to a Back Judge, I think (Whichever plays center field in the secondary).. anyways, he's doing a Saints game.. and Joe Horn is running a post route WIDE OPEN.. I mean no one within 20 yards, save one person.. Phil Luckett. Horn runs smack into him, at the 10 yard line. Might be the best pass defense I've ever seen. :worthy:

There seems to be a lot of slight misinformation on this thread. Going strictly by memory, of which I'm quite sure........The actual call was "giving the quarterback the business" The ref was Ben Dreith, and the player was Marty Lyons...........and, it was not Kelly's NFL debut, but the game later that year at the Jets (not the home game in week one, where he did get blasted by Klecko, who was penalized, but not for giving him the business!)

Any one of a number of games officaited by Phil Luckett. The most ridiculous one having to be the blown coin flip. :bag:

After that incidient, and another that I can't recall at the moment.. he was busted down to a Back Judge, I think (Whichever plays center field in the secondary).. anyways, he's doing a Saints game.. and Joe Horn is running a post route WIDE OPEN.. I mean no one within 20 yards, save one person.. Phil Luckett. Horn runs smack into him, at the 10 yard line. Might be the best pass defense I've ever seen. :worthy:

I think it was when he thought the football crossed the goal line but it was clearly a helmet.

I think it was when he thought the football crossed the goal line but it was clearly a helmet.

Yep, Testaverde's WHITE helmet was mistaken for a BROWN football. Luckett was a terrible ref. Is he still in the league?