The NHL Winter Classic

billsfan89

Without a Playoff the all College Bowl games except for the National Championship are essentially glorified exhibition games. Now with the NHL Winter Classic on New Years Day I have no reason to care about any other sporting event on New Years Day (Unless NFL Football is on). This years game was a 2-1 Overtime thriller at Fenway Park and I have to say that I now associate New Years Day with hockey.

I know College Football is the tradition BUT they don't play that many bowl games on New Years Day anymore and they don't play the National title game on Jan 1st either. So does anyone else feel that Hockey is now the New Years day sporting event? And did anyone else watch the game Today?

Hockey and College Football are my two favorite sports so I like having them both on and flipping back and forth. this year is extra special since theres not only the Winter Classic but the Sabres are playing tonight too!

i didnt watch much of the hockey game, mostly watched LSU/Penn St., and Im more interested in this Ohio/Oregon game too. but the Sabres game is the only one I really "care" about.

Good game overall, it took a while to get started, but it was worth it. If they really wanted to play against the ncaa, they need a later game. I'd still be watching if there was another.

I think that the NHL doesn't want to split the audience between 2 games BUT to me more hockey is never a bad thing.

Without a Playoff the all College Bowl games except for the National Championship are essentially glorified exhibition games. Now with the NHL Winter Classic on New Years Day I have no reason to care about any other sporting event on New Years Day (Unless NFL Football is on). This years game was a 2-1 Overtime thriller at Fenway Park and I have to say that I now associate New Years Day with hockey.

I know College Football is the tradition BUT they don't play that many bowl games on New Years Day anymore and they don't play the National title game on Jan 1st either. So does anyone else feel that Hockey is now the New Years day sporting event? And did anyone else watch the game Today?

Yep...would NOT have missed it. I've been a hockey addict since 93. The first

game @ your place set the standards!!! The Winter Classic has now been a

part of my New Years day for the 3rd year. I did look into the PSU/LSU game

to see how Lori's OTHER team was doing. The condition of the field was a

major advantage to the PSU team.

I've lost touch with hockey since living in the south for 15 years. Even with the Hurricanes playing two hours away, you wouldn't even know that the NHL exists. I did watch the last 7 minutes of PS-LSU because it was a close ending. That's all the college ball I plan on watching because I think the Bowl games are a farce. If there were a playoff system, I'm sure that I would watch most of the games and definitely the final 3. The NCAA is really dropping the ball on this one. You can't tell me that TV ratings wouldn't increase significantly with playoffs. They could still work sponsorship into each game as well. To me it's a no-brainer.

I've lost touch with hockey since living in the south for 15 years. Even with the Hurricanes playing two hours away, you wouldn't even know that the NHL exists. I did watch the last 7 minutes of PS-LSU because it was a close ending. That's all the college ball I plan on watching because I think the Bowl games are a farce. If there were a playoff system, I'm sure that I would watch most of the games and definitely the final 3. The NCAA is really dropping the ball on this one. You can't tell me that TV ratings wouldn't increase significantly with playoffs. They could still work sponsorship into each game as well. To me it's a no-brainer.

IIRC, the NCAA has no control over the bowls.

The BCS.

And the BCS is managed by representatives of the bowls, the AD from Notre Dame, and the commissioners from all 11 Division 1A football conferences.

I think that a division 1 playoff would be a TV ratings bonanza. They could even merge the current bowl system into a playoff by attaching the sponsor names to individual games. I think it's ridiculous to keep this lame bowl system in place.

I think that a division 1 playoff would be a TV ratings bonanza. They could even merge the current bowl system into a playoff by attaching the sponsor names to individual games. I think it's ridiculous to keep this lame bowl system in place.

Sounds easy up front, but there are a boat load of issues that would need ironing out, and in the end, I have personal reservations that it still will not stop the complaining or criticism. Simply put, 11 does not divide cleanly by 2.

You may love/hate the bowls, but you cannot deny the bowls have a long history and tradition with college ball.

And most bowls have long term affiliations and associations with certain conferences. Both the bowls and conferences are not overly eager ditching those associations just to satisfy fans desire to see a playoff system.

In fact, it was those associations and affiliations that caused problems with the original Bowl Coalition and the follow up Bowl Alliance.

Sounds easy up front, but there are a boat load of issues that would need ironing out, and in the end, I have personal reservations that it still will not stop the complaining or criticism. Simply put, 11 does not divide cleanly by 2.

You may love/hate the bowls, but you cannot deny the bowls have a long history and tradition with college ball.

And most bowls have long term affiliations and associations with certain conferences. Both the bowls and conferences are not overly eager ditching those associations just to satisfy fans desire to see a playoff system.

In fact, it was those associations and affiliations that caused problems with the original Bowl Coalition and the follow up Bowl Alliance.

Well maybe Obama can step in and force a playoff on them. He has said that he wants to. That would be one accomplishment i would support him on.

Well maybe Obama can step in and force a playoff on them. He has said that he wants to. That would be one accomplishment i would support him on.

Doubt it. Other than the Anti-Trust act, what other law gives the gov't the right to interfere?

As far as I know, the BCS has never prevented another organization from declaring a "national champion" in college football.

(See Auburn University and their "People's National Championship").

Using the anti-trust act, the gov't might be successful in breaking up the BCS, but cannot force the bowls to switch to a playoff system.

And breaking up the BCS returns the system back to the way it was pre Bowl Coalition/Alliance.

Of course, this might be the outcome the NCAA hopes for. If the BCS is broken up, the NCAA could implement a playoff system, but they would have to get the schools to buy into it to make it effective. Good luck with that.