Why the hate over the Brandon/Nix moves?

Brandon seems to be emerging as the guy everyone loves to hate, but I think the hate is misplaced.

Understandably, anyone getting a "promotion" in the Bills front office is not likely to be treated to a kind reaction these days, but anyone who seriously thinks Ralph looks to Brandon for football decisions is delusional. When Ralph referred to Brandon's new title today, he jokingly asked if the CEO title was a promotion. Clearly, the new title was all about protecting Brandon's public image and, moving forward, separating him from the football side of the house - it's not really a "promotion" in the traditional sense.

Clearly, Wilson trusts Brandon on the business side of the house (and that's well deserved I think), but the move today shows that the football power in the organization has shifted clearly to Nix. The org chart may show Nix reporting to Brandon, but I seriously doubt that that structure will ever result in Brandon overruling Nix on any substantive football matter.

I laugh at those who were disappointed in the Nix hiring. Calling it yet another "in-house" hire is mere semantics. The guy has roots around the league, was widely credited by football men around the NFL with having a key role in stocking the Chargers roster with talent, and only came back to the Bills a year ago. For all we know, Ralph has been monitoring Nix's level of engagement and fitness for the GM role for the last year, culminating with today's announcement.

Great moves Ralph. Now, Buddy's first big challenge awaits - land us a good coach! If it's not a big name, I'm sure the knuckledraggers will be upset but I have faith that Nix knows what we need.

He wasn't the BIG name. Anyone who knows football knows how respected Nix is. It is the same move as if we hired anyone who was 2nd in command of any other NFL team.

There is no reason to be high or low on the move. Only the results matter. We'll need a year to make any judgement. Let's spare ourselves all the energy needed to prematurely grade the front office moves, coaching hires, draft, free agent signings and the pre-eason.

Brandon seems to be emerging as the guy everyone loves to hate, but I think the hate is misplaced.

Understandably, anyone getting a "promotion" in the Bills front office is not likely to be treated to a kind reaction these days, but anyone who seriously thinks Ralph looks to Brandon for football decisions is delusional. When Ralph referred to Brandon's new title today, he jokingly asked if the CEO title was a promotion. Clearly, the new title was all about protecting Brandon's public image and, moving forward, separating him from the football side of the house - it's not really a "promotion" in the traditional sense.

Clearly, Wilson trusts Brandon on the business side of the house (and that's well deserved I think), but the move today shows that the football power in the organization has shifted clearly to Nix. The org chart may show Nix reporting to Brandon, but I seriously doubt that that structure will ever result in Brandon overruling Nix on any substantive football matter.

I laugh at those who were disappointed in the Nix hiring. Calling it yet another "in-house" hire is mere semantics. The guy has roots around the league, was widely credited by football men around the NFL with having a key role in stocking the Chargers roster with talent, and only came back to the Bills a year ago. For all we know, Ralph has been monitoring Nix's level of engagement and fitness for the GM role for the last year, culminating with today's announcement.

Great moves Ralph. Now, Buddy's first big challenge awaits - land us a good coach! If it's not a big name, I'm sure the knuckledraggers will be upset but I have faith that Nix knows what we need.

Thanks for the post.

I'm actually very surprised over the reaction of alot of posters. Nix is no lazy hire. He's a proven GM that I was hoping for.

And just like he said, we may possibly have a real strength coach. We will have a coaching staff that teaches, and develops those draft picks. We will build through the draft, and reward those players who were "home grown", so to speak.

Makes excellent business sense, and football sense.

Thurman was right. This is definitely a breath of fresh air that the organization needed. Someone who knows what they are doing.

I trust things now. I trust the right coach will be found and hired. I don't care about names (as long as they are NOT Billick or Martz).

I'm excited to be a Bills fan again!

Bring on the coach!

He wasn't the BIG name. Anyone who knows football knows how respected Nix is. It is the same move as if we hired anyone who was 2nd in command of any other NFL team.

Thanks again for posting Russ. BTW too bad your boss is too scared to interview guys with proven records like Ron Wolf etal.

And BTW Nix is so damn respected, he is 70 years old and no one has ever offered him a GM job before.

You're right.

All too often, the BIG name is nothing more than a better publicist.

Great hire/ promotion by Ralph.

Thanks again for posting Russ. BTW too bad your boss is too scared to interview guys with proven records like Ron Wolf etal.

And BTW Nix is so damn respected, he is 70 years old and no one has ever offered him a GM job before.

He was the assistant GM in San Diego with AJ Smith.

He is widely viewed as the person largely responsible for drafting all of those Pro Bowl players San Diego has had this decade.

Sounds pretty good to me.

He was the assistant GM in San Diego with AJ Smith.

He is widely viewed as the person largely responsible for drafting all of those Pro Bowl players San Diego has had this decade.

Sounds pretty good to me.

Not to mention Nix interviewed and was in the running until the end for the Falcons GM position just 2 years ago.

There is no reason to be high or low on the move. Only the results matter. We'll need a year to make any judgement. Let's spare ourselves all the energy needed to prematurely grade the front office moves, coaching hires, draft, free agent signings and the pre-eason.

Agree 100%. A clear cut answer, positively or negatively, won't be known for several years. But I like the idea of hiring a guy from one of the most successful drafting teams in the NFL because that's how teams are built.

But time will tell.

And thanks for another whiney, negative post. Your attack is so tired. No one knows how successful Nix is going to be but to completely to dismiss his track record is just something miserable fans do. All you do is whine like a teenage girl on a Bills board. That is fun to you? You must have a hell of exciting life. Have a good New Years and everyone is anxiously awaiting your next "the Bills are the worst team ever and I hate my life" post. There are thrilling beyond words. :flirt:

Indeed, nice post. I can hardly believe I'm not the only one in Russ Brandon's corner.

Nevertheless, I am severly disappointed at the lack of ground-clearing ambition (leadership qualities) that most posters & repliers have on this site. Bandwagoners, also known as followers, Democrats... We are blessed with living in a free country where it is OK to have an opinion, ok to take a stand, ok to stand behind unpopular belief... yet, everytime some new tidbit comes out, everyone runs to the other side of the ship. Stupidity runs rampant here, unfortunately.

Come on people- take a look at this post by billnutinhouston and mimick the standard.

I wish Darthice would melt in a puddle of my pi55.

For now I like this move. We can't pin the past bad drafts on him since he only came on in Feb 2009 (that's only 2 months before the draft). The fact that he has openly criticized the free agents signings here says something good. Remember we don't know who actually had the final say on the draft picks last year. Maybin sounds like a Jauron/Fewell request (fast and small). Also think about it. The guy is 70 and most likely won't hang around for the next owner or group. Makes sense to me. So, let's raise a glass to the Bills this New Year's eve as I raise one to all of you faithful Bills fans. Let's get this thing on track!

Indeed, nice post. I can hardly believe I'm not the only one in Russ Brandon's corner.

Nevertheless, I am severly disappointed at the lack of ground-clearing ambition (leadership qualities) that most posters & repliers have on this site. Bandwagoners, also known as followers, Democrats... We are blessed with living in a free country where it is OK to have an opinion, ok to take a stand, ok to stand behind unpopular belief... yet, everytime some new tidbit comes out, everyone runs to the other side of the ship. Stupidity runs rampant here, unfortunately.

Come on people- take a look at this post by billnutinhouston and mimick the standard.

It's funny that you talk about everyone being free to express their opinions and bash a lot of people because of their political beliefs. You're kinda talking out of both sides of your mouth, eh? Just keep politics out of the football threads. It has no place.

Thanks bro! Pay no mind to DarthIce.

By the way, I get down on the Bills as much as anyone, but when you look at the announcement today objectively, you have to be positive about it. I don't so much mind the negativity around here, it's the BASELESS negativity that's really annoying.

Wow double standard or two faced, take your pick