O line again

thewildrabbit

To all the posters who are a few watts shy of a 150 watt bulb

From PFW

Better pass protection keys Chargers' turnaround

Part of the reason for the Chargers' recent turnaround and winning streak has been their ability to keep QB Philip Rivers from being hit. After he was abused early on, taking 15 sacks in the first five games, Rivers has been kept much cleaner during the club's last three contests, getting sacked only three times. We hear that better blocking from the running backs and improved play from C Scott Mruczkowski are largely responsible

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2009/11/1...gers-turnaround

Are you implying Fitzpatrick would be a Pro Bowler if we had a better OL?

What is D Anderson and B Quinn's excuse then?

Having a great QB is better than having a great OL....your team will always be better with a great QB with an average line as compared to average QB with a great OL.

The Chargers do not have a great OL they have a great QB.

I agree it would be great to have both and having a great OL with a great QB is fantastic but how did the great Colts OL do as soon as Manning was out? Yeah, I thought so they give up a sack for a TD that Manning never would have given up. I'm all for having a great OL but I think it is way overstated as OL play is pretty similar throughout the NFL for the most part as starters around the league do not have as big differences as QB play. That is why the Colts can find guys from the Arena league and plug them in as starters.

How come T Jackson was not an excellent QB last year behind the same line with A Peterson as his RB that Favre plays behind.....could it be that Favre is such a better QB accounting for about 4-5 more wins and a better team?

Having a great QB is better than having a great OL....your team will always be better with a great QB with an average line as compared to average QB with a great OL.

I agree it would be great to have both and having a great OL with a great QB is fantastic but how did the great Colts OL do as soon as Manning was out? Yeah, I thought so they give up a sack for a TD that Manning never would have given up. I'm all for having a great OL but I think it is way overstated as OL play is pretty similar throughout the NFL for the most part as starters around the league do not have as big differences as QB play. That is why the Colts can find guys from the Arena league and plug them in as starters.

How come T Jackson was not an excellent QB last year behind the same line with A Peterson as his RB that Favre plays behind.....could it be that Favre is such a better QB accounting for about 4-5 more wins and a better team?

You make a point, but you are mentioning first ballot hall of fame qbs., and comparing them to stiffs.

How about guys like Eli Manning and Matt Hasselback, who hasn't looked as sharp sans Walter Jones?

Besides, little of this applies to the Bills. Our line is bad to the extent that you can pick any season in the last 15 or so years, and at least 3 of our blockers suck. Even when they have a guy who is decent or even good, they make sure to play him next to someone who is a very bad (or in the case of Dockery, disinterested).

If you think that Favre or Manning could win behind this sorry lot, I am going to have to respectfully disagree.

any great qb like rivers makes his line look better..........

WE NEED A QB IN RD 1 OR RD 2

I doubt that Rivers would play well behind Buffalo's OL. He is not mobile and the strength of his game is his arm strength and downfield passing accuracy, both of which are of limited use if you have to dump everything off immediately due to the pass rush. Maybe someone like Kurt Warner or Drew Brees could look good here.

QB is the most important position but Offensive line is the most important unit- I've seen both Brady and Manning made to look ordinary by great pressure- none of the QBs coming out are overly impressive to me- if Brohm was coming out this year I think he'd be in the top three maybe #1- as for Free Agents QBs (if they're not all restricted with the uncapped year) I think Campbell has the best tools but he is so blah he looks like he's sleepwalking sometimes, not a Kelly or Favre type leader in any event- so my advice is use the draft to fix the Oline it's a good year for OTs, Bills should have an excellent chance for the #2 rated LT and be able to get a quality RT in the 2nd round- who knows with a quality Oline maybe we will find we have a good QB right here.

.... That their line sucks?

The Jets are 8-7 and on the berth of a playoff appearance with a rookie QB playing like sh*t. Yet they have a great OL with a good running game and the leagues top D. Thats the same way Baltimore did it last year except Flacco was much better that Dirty Sanchez. Thats the way Miami is doing it now. Thats the same way Roethelismcburger did it with the Steelers - who went 15-1.

Good teams do it right and have great Ds and great OLs/running games. Bad teams (Cle Det Oak and yes BUFFALO) draft rookie QBs and throw them to the dogs with no OL, no running game, and average to bad Ds. Yea there are many ways to do it, but one is better than others.

To all the posters who are a few watts shy of a 150 watt bulb

From PFW

Better pass protection keys Chargers' turnaround

Part of the reason for the Chargers' recent turnaround and winning streak has been their ability to keep QB Philip Rivers from being hit. After he was abused early on, taking 15 sacks in the first five games, Rivers has been kept much cleaner during the club's last three contests, getting sacked only three times. We hear that better blocking from the running backs and improved play from C Scott Mruczkowski are largely responsible

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2009/11/1...gers-turnaround

1. May be Rivers got better at avoiding a sack.
  2. May be Rivers learned to make his reads faster.
  3. May be once LT slowed down, teams weren't playing the run all the time and were able to be kept off balance.
  4. Just because it was uploaded to PFW, doesn't mean it's true.

Good teams do it right and have great Ds and great OLs/running games. Bad teams (Cle Det Oak and yes BUFFALO) draft rookie QBs and throw them to the dogs with no OL, no running game, and average to bad Ds. Yea there are many ways to do it, but one is better than others.

I largely agree, however, note that the San Diego Chargers are dead last in the NFL in rushing yards per attempt and 29th in total rushing yards. The Colts? 30th in yards per attempt and dead last in overall rushing yardage. By contrast, our lowly Bills are 19th in the NFL in rushing, but, despite their OL troubles, are 13th in yards per carry.

A good QB can certainly make up for a lot of other problems on offense.

+1

The o-line is an extremely important unit for a football team and it is certainly a major need of the Bills. However, it is not a complete excuse for poor QBing. Make no mistake about it, this team has horrendous QBs. Would the Mannings and the Rivers of the league put up the same numbers here in Buffalo? Obviously not. Would they make a huge difference? Of course. This team had weapons this year and it's a real shame that the offense was awful.

Some fans are under the impression that our QBs had no shot. While I agree that the line was poor, I can't buy into the no shot theory. Protection was poor often but not always. Even during stretches of decent to good protection our QBs stunk up the joint. The elite QBs would have faired much better here and the decent QBs would have been moderately better.

The Bills lost 6 games by a total of 23 points. Anyone who thinks Rivers, Manning, Brees, or a handful of other good QBs, aren't 23 points better than Edwards and Fitz, are delusional.

Who saw the Colts game last week? As soon as Painter went into the game for Manning, the Colts o-line looked very Buffalo Bills like. It goes to show you how much a QB can help his line. Manning goes through his reads quicker, feels the pressure better, knows where to position himself, and gets the ball out of there. Painter looked like Losman and Manning rarely gets a finger put on him.

A good QB can certainly make up for a lot of other problems on offense.

Spot on. There are plenty of examples of this every season.

OF COURSE the offensive line is important, but the QB's raw ability and talent probably has more to do with how "good" the line is perceived to be than anything else.

What a lot of posters fail to realize is that without even a decent O line there is no running game, which means play action passing won't work. With no decent running game it all falls to the QB to make plays.

It is only a matter of time before any QB will get injured behind a poor O line. Take a look at big ben this season and his concussion, as good as he is, he can't win games sitting on the sidelines. Plus the acumulative effect of all the hits that some QB's endure.

Look at the Bills this season, only 46 QB sacks but they have had to endure 102 hits, second most in the NFL this year. Now think of how many more sacks and hits would be recorded if Edwards actually tried to complete more down field passes instead of dumping the ball off.

What a lot of posters fail to realize is that without even a decent O line there is no running game, which means play action passing won't work. With no decent running game it all falls to the QB to make plays.

It is only a matter of time before any QB will get injured behind a poor O line. Take a look at big ben this season and his concussion, as good as he is, he can't win games sitting on the sidelines. Plus the acumulative effect of all the hits that some QB's endure.

Look at the Bills this season, only 46 QB sacks but they have had to endure 102 hits, second most in the NFL this year. Now think of how many more sacks and hits would be recorded if Edwards actually tried to complete more down field passes instead of dumping the ball off.

In today's NFL the pass sets up the run more often than not. Without an effective passing game, defenses tend to put eight or more in the box and that is awfully tough to overcome. As Bills fans we have seen this used against us over and over again. Until this team can find ways to punish opposing defenses for this strategy, we will continue to see it.

Again, no one is disputing that our QBs are getting hit. The o-line is unquestionably poor but the QBs aren't helping themselves either. Good QBs get rid of the ball and lose a down. It's not like no one else is under pressure, some just deal with it better. Rothlisburger is a great QB but he willingly takes hits by holding the ball. It's admirable on his part but his career will be shortened.