T.O. the failed experiment

seq004

From a marketing standpoint, TO did what the Bills FO expected him to do, sell tickets & merchandise.

With the QB, OC and OL situation, does anyone honestly think that any WR would have had a "good" year? I sure as hell don't.

Exactly. There was no way a WR was going to have a big on field impact with that offense. Anyone capable of looking objectively at this team could have seen that. The Bills FO may not be the best in the league, but they aren't complete morons either.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Said an AFC general manager: "He's slowed down very markedly and his hands were always rather suspect; if anything they've probably gotten a little bit worse. ... He's an older player for whom there is no upside. He certainly appears to have been a model citizen in Buffalo, but he's nevertheless a lightning rod, if you will. And if you're coming in with a new broom, why would you necessarily want that?"

The NFC personnel man said he wouldn't have signed Owens after the Cowboys sent him packing, The evaluator also thought the Bills spent far too much on Owens.

"Nobody else had wanted him, so why do you pay him as much as they did?" he said. "They probably could have gotten him for half the cost. Now, if he sold tickets and made them money on selling tickets, maybe it was worthwhile. I just think, with no other teams bidding, you didn't have to stretch with $6 million or whatever it was they gave him. Did he give them $6 million in production? No.

Hey, let's give him another 6.5 million so that when we get our new QB next year he'll really be able to catch all those passes he didn't this year!

It goes on and on....

Player Rec Yds avg Long TD

Terrell Owens 51 764 15.0 98 4

Fred Jackson 44 356 8.1 21 1

Lee Evans 40 563 14.1 50 6

Does this mean we should get rid of Lee Evans too? Hes making close to 9 millions a year(( http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpag...t=NFL&id=26 ))) and has awful numbers.

I dont think TO was a great success on the field but Evans is a disaster. look at those numbers. We got a lot more bang for the buck with TO.

Now THAT is an interesting point ... and I am no TO fan.

Obviously, no receiver was going to flourish in this offense with our disastrous QB situation, but Evans' "nice guy" person (some might say "invisible" persona) deflects a lot.

T.O. did NOT fail......the bills front office failed him, the team and their fans. i have posted on this before, but it bears repeating. i am a season ticket holder......i happen to enjoy watching certain players every move for an entire game at the expense of not watching the ball (mostly lineman). i watch the replay of the game later when i get home. i have done this on T.O. twice. He gets wide open ALL day......just not in the first 3 seconds of a play. He is constantly (75%) double teamed with a safety over the top and still gets open. It is NOT his fault that captain checkdown Trent Edwards was either unwilling, unable or didn't have enough time to look downfield and see what i can see from my seats. It is not T.O.'s fault that the bills front office moves have totally screwed up the offensive line. it is not his fault that the O-line was decimated by injuries. It is not his fault we are getting no production from our tight ends. it is not his fault Lynch is throwing his career away. It is not T.O.'s fault he has a joke of an offensive coordinator in AVP. Despite all these handicaps he leads the team in receptions and yards !!...wide receivers are the least of this teams offensive problems.

going forward for next year, i am not in favor of him returning. i prefer to spend $6.5 mil on a lineman.

But Evans is an iron man. Never misses a game and never gives up on a play. 30% more money than TO, yeah that seems about right.

You dont pay for effort. You pay for results. Evans doesnt produce and is getting paid a ton. Im not defending TO here, im merely pointing out Evans gets a free ride all the time. For 9 million and change, tell me one game this year he has been a game changer??

I can really care less about TO, we paid him 6 million, he did better than our 9 million WR, TO will move on and thats ok but were stuck with what? some injured rookies and a #2 $9million WR named Evans? THere isnt one position on Offense i feel great about (maybe RB but jackson isnt a spring chicken by NFL standards)

Dumb article. While the offense sucked, it was in no way due to TO. If not for him, the Bills' offense would have set the NFL record for futility in a season.

OTOH, if the Bills had a halfway decent QB, some more health on the O-line, and a decent OC, he'd have been considered a rousing success. But he doesn't throw the ball to himself, play O-line, or call the plays.

My God, even Carucci lowered himself to bashing Owens in his article (or collection of anonymous bull **** quotes, whatever that POS piece was). Yeah he dropped a few and looked disinterested in fighting for badly thrown balls a few times. Yup, he sure did. But if he had the efffing ball thrown to him even HALF of the times he had a step on his coverage, he'd have been right up there with the receiving leaders, no doubt about it. The tape doesn't lie. He was open more often than Paris Hilton's legs.

What was he supposed to do, throw himself the goddam ball? :worthy:

couldn't agree more. :rolleyes:

You dont pay for effort. You pay for results. Evans doesnt produce and is getting paid a ton. Im not defending TO here, im merely pointing out Evans gets a free ride all the time. For 9 million and change, tell me one game this year he has been a game changer??

Like I said earlier, there was no way any WR was gong to have an impact with this offense. But I do agree with you about Evans being overpaid, but not just for this season. He would be at best, the second WR on most other NFL teams. I just happen to like his work ethic, attitude, and that you can count on him to play every game.

Like I said earlier, there was no way any WR was gong to have an impact with this offense. But I do agree with you about Evans being overpaid, but not just for this season. He would be at best, the second WR on most other NFL teams. I just happen to like his work ethic, attitude, and that you can count on him to play every game.

sorry i was scanning this thread didnt see you had said earlier.

TO is controversial and loud, he gets crap for off year

Evans is quiet and humble he gets 9 million.

im glad theres at least one other reasonable poster on here who doesnt take it personal and has some reasoning!!

T. O. was not the problem in Buffalo. We finally exposed to everyone in the front office that our QB situation needs to be resolved. I for one would love to see T.O. back next year, but I don't know why he would want to stick around with our current QBs or even stick around if we draft someone good as it will take the new person a little while to get up to speed, and T.O. doesn't have a lot of time left to try and win a ring.

We did similar things with Eric Moulds, and now Lee Evans is getting short-changed. 3 great receivers and we didn't get them hardly any playoff games, let alone Superbowl shots. (Moulds got in the playoffs way backon the 1999 team and that was it).

TO thrived in SF, Philly and Dallas. He failed in Buffalo for one reason, the Bills are an inept orgazation and they fails in every aspect of football. That was all that needed to be said about TO in Buffalo.

You have got to be kidding me. All three of his previous teams had way better QBs than us that could get him the ball. Buffalo does not fail in every aspect of football, they just need to get a few players in the right positions. T.O. would have been fine, and as I said before, I hope he stays and gets a chance to make the playoffs in the next year or two.

You have got to be kidding me. All three of his previous teams had way better QBs than us that could get him the ball. Buffalo does not fail in every aspect of football, they just need to get a few players in the right positions. T.O. would have been fine, and as I said before, I hope he stays and gets a chance to make the playoffs in the next year or two.

Really? We haven't made the playoffs in a decade. We routinely draft poorly. We run good players out of town without any backup plan. Our choices in coaches are a joke. We don't have a GM. Ect!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you want me to continue? TO didn't have a QB to get him the ball because the Bills FO couldn't see what most Bills fans saw before the season, Trent is an injury prone girl who refuses to make a tough throw. So what was the backup plan? FITZ!!!!!!!! Dude, I'm glad you're optimistic, Happy New Year.

no they pretty much do...the only place we don't fail is getting people drunk in the parking lots before the game.

T.O. did NOT fail......the bills front office failed him, the team and their fans. i have posted on this before, but it bears repeating. i am a season ticket holder......i happen to enjoy watching certain players every move for an entire game at the expense of not watching the ball (mostly lineman). i watch the replay of the game later when i get home. i have done this on T.O. twice. He gets wide open ALL day......just not in the first 3 seconds of a play. He is constantly (75%) double teamed with a safety over the top and still gets open.

You should probably go back and watch the other 13 games. Or, better yet, watch other (actual) top receivers and see how they go after passes not thrown to them in between their numbers.

"Constantly (75%) double teamed", you say?

Dumb article. While the offense sucked, it was in no way due to TO. If not for him, the Bills' offense would have set the NFL record for futility in a season.

OTOH, if the Bills had a halfway decent QB, some more health on the O-line, and a decent OC, he'd have been considered a rousing success. But he doesn't throw the ball to himself, play O-line, or call the plays.

Yup, if not for TOs big numbers, the Bills would have been, maybe 32nd in passing instead of 29---assuming, of course, that those 100 or so passes his way would otherwise never have been thrown, or if thrown, all 100 had been incomplete to another WR. But, otherwise--great point.

"Rousing success" is what the Cowboys are experiencing as a result of dumping TO.

As for blaming everyone in Buffalo for TOs crap year---explain how other WRs (who are NOT living legends) on crap teams with crappy QBs can produce. Steve Smith doesn't get double teamed? He doesn't have an awful QB? How about Johnson in Detroit? Ha!--Mohammed Massaqoui in Cleveland???

Look, read the quotes from the GMs in both conferences had to say about TO. Some GMs can see the obvious....

Yup, if not for TOs big numbers, the Bills would have been, maybe 32nd in passing instead of 29---assuming, of course, that those 100 or so passes his way would otherwise never have been thrown, or if thrown, all 100 had been incomplete to another WR. But, otherwise--great point.

"Rousing success" is what the Cowboys are experiencing as a result of dumping TO.

As for blaming everyone in Buffalo for TOs crap year---explain how other WRs (who are NOT living legends) on crap teams with crappy QBs can produce. Steve Smith doesn't get double teamed? He doesn't have an awful QB? How about Johnson in Detroit? Ha!--Mohammed Massaqoui in Cleveland???

Look, read the quotes from the GMs in both conferences had to say about TO. Some GMs can see the obvious....

LOL! Yeah, real "obvious." No talk by these "GM's" at all about the QB, the O-line, the schemes, the injuries, the firings, etc. Yet virtually every weekend the analysts on NFL network keep talking about how TO and Evans were open most of the games and no one got the ball to them. Oh and the "he has been single-covered" and "he was shut down by Revis" are typical WEO gems.

Look, even with the pathetic state of the Bills' offense, he caught 51 passes for 764 yards and 4 TD's. Now if he had, say, a stud QB like Matt Leinart ( :worthy: ), he'd have put up huge numbers. But it's "obvious" the QB'ing was poor. Among other things.

As for the Cowboys, wake me up when they actually having "rousing success." Here comes another critical December game that they'll probably blow, to decide the NFC East. If they lose (and they probably will given they've lost their last 9 season-enders, have Romo who comes up small in big games, and will face the red hot Eagles), they'll have to play on the road in the first week of the playoffs, and will lose. Just like they did in 2006, TO's first year with the team. Even if they win, they'll won't have a first round bye like they did in 2007 and at best will just end up losing in the 2nd round. Oh and Roy Williams, the guy they got to replace TO, has 1 fewer drop in a dozen fewer targets.