Back off Brohm for a minute!

Deadstroke

I do find it interesting that Edwards, Fitz, and Brohm all look like the same guy with different numbered jerseys.

I did NOT get this vibe.

Brohm:

Had Trent's willingness to check down and fight another day. BUT he was willing to take his shots.

Had Fitz's ability to read and respond to pressure. BUT he made accurate throws.

Had Trent's accuracy. BUT his throws had some zip.

Had Fitz's ability to quickly read and throw. BUT had better mechanics and made harder, more decisive throws.

The one attribute between Fitz and Trent that he lacked was Fitz's wheels/scrambling ability, but he only made one break, so there's no reason to say Brohm can't run. He did manage the game in a very Trent-like fashion, EXCEPT for the fact that he had consistent zip AND he took his shots downfield (in spite of the OLine). Those two factors were the glaringly missing piece in Trent's game.

Mark it down...we will not draft a QB with a high draft pick in this draft as Brohm will be our QB of the future. He will either start going into next year, or a Vet will be brought in to keep the seat warm until they feel he is ready and he will be no lower than the #2 next year.

We may grab a guy in the mid rounds if someone intriguing is still there, but I really dont see us going QB in the first 2 rounds with all these other holes here.

There isnt a QB in the draft with Brohms updside and tool set.

I'm thinking/hoping that you're right, Alphadawg7. I mean really now, what do we want in a QB?

A good strong arm. Brohm has that for sure!

Quick release. I saw that yesterday!

Poise under pressure. I certainly saw some of that yesterday, especially considering that he BARELY KNOWS THE PLAYBOOK!

Accuracy. Yup! At least on the short ones. Of course the films show that he throws good long ones so here's hoping.

I don't know guys but as for me, sure we've another week to look at him (don't we coach....don't we? Hmmmmm?) but so far I'm thinking hey, do not draft a QB this year!!! Give the man a full training camp, work him to the bone as your first stringer with lots of pre-season work and I have a very strong feeling that he isn't lacking much to be a fine NFL QB.

Did you watch the Colts game yesterday? If yes, you'd understand how much Peyton Manning does to make his own line look good.

He might be the exception to the rule, although Rodgers and Rothelisburger also come to mind.

I'll agree, though, that Brady is half the QB without his line. But, there you have it, three first rounders and a sixth rounder. What puts the sixth rounder in the same conversation? The offensive line.

It goes both ways.

catmando---i did not see the colts play yesterday, but i'm not sure i follow your point here. we agree that a great offensive line really helps a qb....

i think the original point was that it's tough to judge an unknown qb's potential behind a horrible line. admittedly, i used Manning as an example because he's an elite qb known for his skill behind center. i agree 100% that he makes his line better with his play, and i'd not think to suggest any buffalo qb over the past decade would reach that level of greatness even with a "great" line in front of him. on the other hand, i'd be very surprised to see the colts havea run at perfection and greatness with THIS season's buffalo bills offensive line as the first line of defense to Manning--even before the first lad fell to IR.

we agree that the bills needs a good line to shore up the o, yes?

Look, I'm a little P/O'd by what I've been reading but I'll make this as quick as I can.

Just about all I've been reading is how Brohm is a bum

That's funny, because in hundreds of posts I haven't seen one single person say anything that even remotely resembles that. If that's "about all you've been reading", I'd be curious to know where it is you've been, because it sure isn't this board.

we agree that the bills needs a good line to shore up the o, yes?

Oh LORD, yes. My point was that it's a symbiotic relationship, that a qb can be an answer to the OLine woes, but that it can also work in reverse.

Someone else made the point that Brohm, in his ability to check to his hot route during a blitz, may actually be the first QB since Flutie to accomplish the former, but the consensus abounds: I'd rather put my trust in the latter! :unsure:

Peyton Manning does make his o-line better, because teams fear he'll beat their blitz. But I highly doubt that there is a Peyton Manning in this years draft, and I'm certain there isn't one in FA. Therefore fix the o-line first and see what we have then proceed accordingly.

I do find it interesting that Edwards, Fitz, and Brohm all look like the same guy with different numbered jerseys.

If anything, it makes it difficult to come down on them. How many examples do we need before we stop blaming the quarterbacks?

Brohm looked very good to me. He had touch on the short passes. Had velocity on the ball. Demonstrated an above average arm. Appeared poised in the pocket. Passes were accurate other than the long bombs that he missed. Imagine what he should be able to do with more experience and practice, some good coaching and some improved OL play.....I am impressed with what I saw .....

Oh LORD, yes. My point was that it's a symbiotic relationship, that a qb can be an answer to the OLine woes, but that it can also work in reverse.

Someone else made the point that Brohm, in his ability to check to his hot route during a blitz, may actually be the first QB since Flutie to accomplish the former, but the consensus abounds: I'd rather put my trust in the latter! :unsure:

then we'll have to agree to...ummmm...agree, as it were.

build a *&^%ing line!

Look, I'm a little P/O'd by what I've been reading but I'll make this as quick as I can.

Just about all I've been reading is how Brohm is a bum because all he did was make a lousy imitation of Fitz and Edwards..... duh! Well, lord almighty fellas, I mean think about it; isn't that really quite an accomplishment when you think about it? After 5 weeks with the team, after 3 little days working with the first team who's names he hardly knows; making his first start ever in the biggies; playing behind undoubtedly the worst OL in the league; saddled with an incredibly stupid game plan devised by possibly.... no, I mean surely the worst coaches in the league, hey..... not Manning, Rivers, Brees, Brady, none of them could have looked good QB'ing the bumbling Bills yesterday. None of them!!

I'm not saying that Brohm is the answer but I am saying that MAYBE he is and we just need to take a step back and really evaluate given the circumstances.

Peyton Manning would suck in this offense (sorry VP, maybe next time as an o-coordinator, but this year ain't working). We won't know about Brohm until a new head coach comes in and we get some GD people to block for him.

Brohm performed about as well as could be expected given the circumstances. I thought he lookled pretty composed, looked like a leader. He had good zip on his balls and was reasonably accuruate. I am excited to see how he develops.

AMEN to that, brother! I personaly thought BB played one HELL OF A GAME considering circumstances (ie. idiot, prima donna Owens giving up like i watched him do so often.) Crisp passes, kept getting up after getting smashed, and not too many poorly thrown balls. I wish both deep passes were to Evans(who?), a guy that would actualy attempt to adjust and grab the ball, and on the other pass, he would have sped up to catch it. BB threw two picks, the one was 98% owens fault, and the other one, the DB made a great play to pick it. Alot of DB's would have been able to knock the ball away, but that was an amazing feat of athletizism. We have to give the kid the start next week in windy, snowy, cold Buffalo just to see how he handles the elements and a scrappy second-string Colts team. BB could be the future!!!

Just about all I've been reading is how Brohm is a bum because all he did was make a lousy imitation of Fitz and Edwards..... duh! Well, lord almighty fellas, I mean think about it; isn't that really quite an accomplishment when you think about it? After 5 weeks with the team, after 3 little days working with the first team who's names he hardly knows; making his first start ever in the biggies; playing behind undoubtedly the worst OL in the league; saddled with an incredibly stupid game plan devised by possibly.... no, I mean surely the worst coaches in the league, hey..... not Manning, Rivers, Brees, Brady, none of them could have looked good QB'ing the bumbling Bills yesterday. None of them!!

I'm not saying that Brohm is the answer but I am saying that MAYBE he is and we just need to take a step back and really evaluate given the circumstances.

Your post is right on the money. A quarterback who hasn't been given time to learn the offense, and who doesn't have an offensive line, and who lacks NFL experience, will almost certainly look bad even if he's destined for future greatness. Under similar circumstances, a rookie Peyton Manning played poorly enough to cause Jim Mora to deliver

Anyone who expected Brohm to do significantly better than Peyton Manning had done in his rookie year was clearly guilty of unrealistic expectations. Let's give Brohm the chance to learn the offense, develop chemistry with his receivers, and play behind some semblance of an offensive line before making a determination of how well he can play.

As has been stated lo these zillion times; not even KellyMarinoMontanaBradyManning would have a chance behind this mutated version of an OL and underwhelming receivers. At least Brohm survived intact, which is more than you can say for TE and Fitz's last outing.