who on this team would you keep

Who on this team deserves to survive the culling that needs to happen. This is not about the front office just the players.

My ranking of the top ten who need to stay and the top 10 that need to go.

1. Andy Levitre he deserves to survive, excellent rookie season

2. Eric Wood, Levitre outplayed him even before the injury if healthy a building block for the future.

3. Jairus Byrd a natural free safety ball hawk who makes tackles.

4. Brian Morman one of the best punters in league (not withstanding the last 2 games when he was average)

5. Shawn Nelson when he is thrown the ball he makes plays.

6. Kyle Williams has had his best season to date.

7. Fred Jackson. I think he will get old quick, with the way Buffalo is using him. Still a baller though.

8. Jeff Hangartner, not the second comeing of Kent Hull. Nor is he the second comeing of Melvin Fowler either.

9. Marshawn Lynch. he has fallen out of favor with the Bills but still very talented

10. Lee Evans every team needs a good #2 wide receiver. This is what Evans is not a true 1

These are my top 10 players who should be the building block for the future of the Bills

Players that need to move on or be removed from the starting lineup in there current position

1. Ryan Fitzpatrick frutiless attempt at playing QB Buffalo cannot go forward with him at the helm.

2. Terrel Owens has not been a distraction, but has not played very hard either.

3. Paul Pozlusny needs to move the outside, he is not a very good middle linebacker. Maybe more suited for the Outside.

4. Donte Whitner. He has played ok at times this year just not consistent. Horrible pass interfenece call against NE.

5. Ryan Denney almost nothing from him this year.

6. Chris Kelsay, did you see the hit he put on the RB from ATL when the play whent right around his end. Has no

Idea of contain.

7. Trent Edwards, I have a feeling he will do well somewhere else, confidence shot at this time.

8. Marcus Stroud simply not worth the money, makes very few plays over the course of a season.

9. Roscoe Parrish, has definetly checked out on this team.

10. Kirk Chambers cannot be your swing tackle next year.

There are many fringe players who could have made either list, but due to lack of playing time this year did not make either list. i.e. Hardy, S. Johnson, B. Butler, Nic Harris and others who have not quite played thenselves on or off of this team.

I am sure many people will disagree with me on this. So please do not just call me an Idiot, give me a reason for your disdain or approval of my list.

Who on this team deserves to survive the culling that needs to happen. This is not about the front office just the players.

2. Eric Wood, Levitre outplayed him even before the injury if healthy a building block for the future.

4. Brian Morman one of the best punters in league (not withstanding the last 2 games when he was average)

7. Fred Jackson. I think he will get old quick, with the way Buffalo is using him. Still a baller though.

8. Jeff Hangartner, not the second comeing of Kent Hull. Nor is he the second comeing of Melvin Fowler either.

9. Marshawn Lynch. he has fallen out of favor with the Bills but still very talented

10. Lee Evans every team needs a good #2 wide receiver. This is what Evans is not a true 1

These are my top 10 players who should be the building block for the future of the Bills

Players that need to move on or be removed from the starting lineup in there current position

1. Ryan Fitzpatrick frutiless attempt at playing QB Buffalo cannot go forward with him at the helm.

2. Terrel Owens has not been a distraction, but has not played very hard either.

3. Paul Pozlusny needs to move the outside, he is not a very good middle linebacker. Maybe more suited for the Outside.

4. Donte Whitner. He has played ok at times this year just not consistent. Horrible pass interfenece call against NE.

6. Chris Kelsay, did you see the hit he put on the RB from ATL when the play whent right around his end. Has no

Idea of contain.

7. Trent Edwards, I have a feeling he will do well somewhere else, confidence shot at this time.

8. Marcus Stroud simply not worth the money, makes very few plays over the course of a season.

There are many fringe players who could have made either list, but due to lack of playing time this year did not make either list. i.e. Hardy, S. Johnson, B. Butler, Nic Harris and others who have not quite played thenselves on or off of this team.

I am sure many people will disagree with me on this. So please do not just call me an Idiot, give me a reason for your disdain or approval of my list.

I agree for the most part. I'd add George Wilson to the keeper list. I also want to keep Poz and Whitner. I think if you saw these guys on a real football team that knows how to utilize talented players in the right roles, they would excel. Hardy and Steve Johnson I still have hope for too.

I think Fitzpatrick could be a decent back-up. Hard to say though since no one on earth could have success behind the Bills o-line right now. I'd like to keep Brohm--there may be something special there. Overall, he played a lousy game yesterday, but the pressure was constant and intense and he did not panic and he hung in there and made some plays that showed some vision and accuracy.

Trent I'd prefer to never see again in a Bills uniform.

Idea of contain.

I agree with a good percentage of your list. A couple keepers for me, our best two defensive players, Poz and Schobel aren't on your keeper list? Makes no sense. I agree that Kyle Williams has had his best season, but hasn't been real consistent, having games where his name was called every other play,and other games you never heard his name. Beside, with the NFL's worst rush defense, is his best really good enough. I also would add George Wilson, Leodis McFumble (too young and talented to give up on a 1st round pick) and I have also been impressed by Drayton Florence this season. One other disagreement, with a good QB who can get it downfield with a good arm and accuracy, Lee Evans is a #1 reciever. Put him in Dallas, Indy, New Orleans, etc. and he is a perennial Pro Bowler. I do agree that Owens needs to leave, and I don't think Whitner is as bad as alot of people make him out to be on these boards.

I'm a bit more hard-core than you guys. I compare every player on this team, per position, to the rest of the league and see how they stack up. My list of players (starters only) I would keep is as follows:

1. Fred Jackson

2. Jarius Byrd

3. Brian Moorman

4. Rian Lindell

Players I'd keep as depth:

1. Andy Levitre

2. Eric Wood (if he can still play)

3. Kyle Williams

4. Reggie Corner

Players I'd put on the practice squad:

1. Aaron Maybin (who should be an OLB in a 3-4, IMHO)

2. Shawn Nelson

3. Jonathan Stupar

The rest of the team would be traded or cut. My reasoning is as follows:

My starters consistently show me something every week. My depth players either have great potential, are diligent, or have not been contaminated by this culture of losing.

The remaining players on the roster are either too used to losing (see Lee Evans), just don't have it (see Chris Kelsay), are dogging it (see Marshawn Lynch), are injury-prone (see Paul Posluszny), or are past their prime (see Marcus Stroud).

Anyways, that's my two cents.

If you don't have Leodis McKelvin on your list of keepers, then I don't know what to tell ya. #11 overall pick ONE YEAR AGO, looked like a big-time playmaker in the time he did get to play last year and even looked good in coverage in the pre-season. But by all means, let's make sure we keep Hangartner?

Idea of contain.

Agree with your lists and comments, especially about Evans. Think you forgot about about McKelvin, who may be dumb but is talented too. I also like Bryan scott.

Pretty sad, though, isn't it that this is all we have in the way of a core for next year. When you see this and realize that the front office is the worst in the NFL, you begin to understand that this is a real mess. Anyone coming in as GM or HC will almost certainly fail.

I'm a bit more hard-core than you guys. I compare every player on this team, per position, to the rest of the league and see how they stack up. My list of players (starters only) I would keep is as follows:

1. Fred Jackson

2. Jarius Byrd

3. Brian Moorman

4. Rian Lindell

1. Andy Levitre

3. Kyle Williams

4. Reggie Corner

2. Shawn Nelson

3. Jonathan Stupar

My starters consistently show me something every week. My depth players either have great potential, are diligent, or have not been contaminated by this culture of losing.

The remaining players on the roster are either too used to losing (see Lee Evans), just don't have it (see Chris Kelsay), are dogging it (see Marshawn Lynch), are injury-prone (see Paul Posluszny), or are past their prime (see Marcus Stroud).

If you put maybin or Nelson on the practice squad some team would pick them up in about 2 seconds. You may as well cut them.

If you don't have Leodis McKelvin on your list of keepers, then I don't know what to tell ya. #11 overall pick ONE YEAR AGO, looked like a big-time playmaker in the time he did get to play last year and even looked good in coverage in the pre-season. But by all means, let's make sure we keep Hangartner?

I agree with your post completely, Hangartner has turned out to be a terrible free agency pickup. The O-Line play starts at the center position, and he has been terrible. One game he couldn't even get the ball to the QB, it kept bouncing off the turf. He may be useful to keep around as depth at guard, where I think he is more comfortable though. He gets paid a little too much to be kept as backup depth though.

Offense: Brohm, Fitz, Lynch, Jackson, Evans, Hardy, Steve Johnson, Parrish, Nelson, Stupar, Wood, Levitre, Incognito, Bell, Meredith, Butler, Johnathan Scott.

Defense: Schobel, Maybin, Williams, Stroud, Puz, Palmer, Bryan Scott, Wilson, Byrd, Whitner, McGee, McKelvin, Florence, Corner, Lankster.

ST: Moorman

First, the Bills need to keep everyone who can play at all until they have a replacement on the roster. No more release and hope things work out or figure out what to do later. In general though, I would say this:

Agree with all of these. I would also try to keep Schobel. Bills need to find his replacement, but he is the entire pass rush right now. Would be a strong situational pass rusher in his final 2 or 3 years in the league.

1. Ryan Fitzpatrick frutiless attempt at playing QB Buffalo cannot go forward with him at the helm. Solid backup. Has played as well as a backup could, given the circumstance and should be given a shot to return.

2. Terrel Owens has not been a distraction, but has not played very hard either. Letting him leave will cause a big drop off in quality (from TO to Hardy/Johnson? Are you kidding?) but I don't see him wanting to stay so it's back to the drawing board at WR

3. Paul Pozlusny needs to move the outside, he is not a very good middle linebacker. Maybe more suited for the Outside. A good young LB. Maybe a middle LB behind DTs that absorb blockers instead of trying to penetrate. If not an OLB in the cover 2 scheme. A future starter, IMO

4. Donte Whitner. He has played ok at times this year just not consistent. Horrible pass interfenece call against NE. Good versatile backup. No reason to dump him unless he becomes a distraction. If he can be traded for someone useful (e.g. a lineman) then the Bills should look at this.

5. Ryan Denney almost nothing from him this year. He is not a starter and is no better than guys they cut in pre-season. This was his last season in Buffalo.

Idea of contain. Need to be looking to replace him, but until his replacement is on the roster he is the best the Bills got. Might be able to eventually keep him at a reduced salary as a backup, if he is willing.

7. Trent Edwards, I have a feeling he will do well somewhere else, confidence shot at this time. New coach = clean slate. Should get a shot in a proven system with a good OC before the cord is cut. He is the best pure passer of anyone on the roster.

8. Marcus Stroud simply not worth the money, makes very few plays over the course of a season. Career is winding down. Injuries are catching up with him. Like Kelsay, he is the best they've got right now but the Bills need to be looking for his replacement. Eventually could be a situational player if he accepts a reduced salary.

9. Roscoe Parrish, has definetly checked out on this team. Dangerous return man, for both the Bills and the opposition. I would say to trade him but he apparently has no trade value. He should get a chance to show for the next coach in training camp, but with all the receivers on the roster will probably be gone.

10. Kirk Chambers cannot be your swing tackle next year. Obviously. He was waived until the injuries started. Johnathan Scott is young and has done well enough to keep as a developing player, IMO.

11. Demetrius Bell. He is forgotten about because he was hurt so long ago, but honestly didn't look very good when he was in. He is young so give him a chance to compete with Scott for the primary backup role, but the Bills need a new LT before next season starts.

I think one player that would need to be kept only because this is not the time to start looking for a kicker is Lindell. There are so many positional needs on this team, both starter and for depth purposes that looking for a quality NFL kicker is last on a list of needs for this team. There would be a line of teams in the NFL right now after Lindell if he was released.

Also, you have to figure that the Bills realistically need to keep around 30 or so of its current players just to be able to field a team next year. Counting the draft and probable Free Agent additions, they will probably only be able to come up with roughly 25 or so new players next year. With that said, in 2-3 years, there might only be 10-15 players on the current roster that will be in a Bills uniform (if they are still the Bills) by the 2012 season.

I also want to mention that I disagree with the basic premise that the Bills need to "clean house". The Bills have many promising young players that should be given a chance to improve. With good coaching, I think that they are (5) starters away from being a strong playoff team: QB, LT, DE, DT and LB. Unfortunately, these are the most important positions and the hardest ones to find, especially QB.

1. Fred Jackson

2. Jarius Byrd

3. Brian Moorman

4. Rian Lindell

1. Andy Levitre

3. Kyle Williams

4. Reggie Corner

2. Shawn Nelson

3. Jonathan Stupar

It's people like you that bug me a lot. Why the heck would you put maybin and nelson on the practice squad thats the stupidest move ever. Maybin is a project player not wht we need now but he has talent, and Nelson can be a really good TE for us he just has to have a quarterback to throw to him. And you are saying wood and levitre are only good as depth. If you were our front office the team would worse off than it is now

1. Fred Jackson

2. Jarius Byrd

3. Brian Moorman

4. Rian Lindell

1. Andy Levitre

3. Kyle Williams

4. Reggie Corner

2. Shawn Nelson

3. Jonathan Stupar

I agree with you, except I would place Maybin, Nelson, and Stupar on the roster as back-ups until they prove themselves to be given a chance to become starters. I was thinking about this on my way to work today, and I believe that you need to get red of the players that are used to the culture of losing. Based on the team's overall performance, I like how your list is small. Most of the current Bills would struggle to make most teams 2nd or 3rd string. This team is horrible. The only recent teams that were worse was in 2001, and 1984-85.

If you put maybin or Nelson on the practice squad some team would pick them up in about 2 seconds. You may as well cut them.

That is true. My point is this team has a lot of disease and will require lots of medicine and some amputations before respectability returns.

Idea of contain.