Most important quality in next HC?

BADOLBILZ

The majority of the conversation about the next HC is whether to go new assistant or retread.

Most importantly the Bills must hire a HC who can attract outstanding assistants. The Bills as an organization basically have no coaching tree.

Perhaps the most anemic aspect of the Bills mediocre history is their inability to hire good assistants. There can't be an organization that has had less assistants go on to become HC's elsewhere. I think Pete Carroll was a very low level assistant here in the 1980's. Jerry Glanville was a coach here, but he had been a DC in Atlanta before being a lesser assistant for a short time in Buffalo. Ted Marchibroda had been a HC for the Colts in the 1970's before being re-hired after being the Bills OC. Then Wade, obviously. To my knowledge...that is IT. Basically nobody that has ever earned their stripes here and gone on to be a HC elsewhere in the NFL. In 50 years? I find that astounding.

The lack of quality assistants has been the death knell for every coach since Wade Phillips got promoted. When Wade was not able to get even a mildly successful assistant named Marc Trestman to be his OC rather than take a job with the perfectly futile Cardinals back in 1998.....that was an omen of things to come for the next decade. Since then, the top assistant positions in Buffalo have been manned by generally awful coaches.

Hire questionable HC's and bad assistants will follow. I think a proven successful HC has an edge in attracting top assistants, but either way the ability to attract top assistants should be at the top of the priority list.

I think the inability to bring in top assistant coaches was Gregg Williams downfall here...

Agreed. Williams was not a great assistant, he came from a rather isolated tree(46 defense), was not very well connected and was a late hire. For those reasons he didn't attract good assistants.

Dick Jauron took it to a new level though. No self respecting young assistant will hitch their career to a PROVEN loser and at the same time Jauron couldn't even help himself out because he wasn't even that good at his own specialty(defense).

The hiring of a Head Coach before the Senior Bowl is also a benchmark! The crowd in Birmingham, Alabama is chocked full of prospective assisant coaches looking for employment. Why not have all your ducks in a row and pick and choose from the best there? I hope the Bills make big inroads in the coaching ranks, and select nothing but quality guys all around. GO BILLS!!!