Bills to blow it all up

goynahan

This is the title of an ESPN insider article today, anybody have insider that can take a look and tell us what it says? i think we all know that the bills are making a ton of changes this offseason, but i'd like to see what this article is addressing specifically.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1) Speculates that the Bills contacted Dungy this week and tried again to lure him out of retirement, possibly wanting to bring both Dungy and Vick to Buffalo together. (My take: horrible, ridiculous idea designed to sell tickets but will crash and burn).

2) Speculates that Tolbert's departure was prompted by internal discussions that a major housecleaning was coming. (My take: duh).

1) Speculates that the Bills contacted Dungy this week and tried again to lure him out of retirement, possibly wanting to bring both Dungy and Vick to Buffalo together. (My take: horrible, ridiculous idea designed to sell tickets but will crash and burn).

2) Speculates that Tolbert's departure was prompted by internal discussions that a major housecleaning was coming. (My take: duh).

Thanks for heads up

I don't know about Dungy. Yeah great in Indy, not so good in Tampa. I think he may be too soft for what needs to happen here in Buffalo

Ummm, he turned the perennial losing TB franchise into a team that made the playoffs in 4 of his 6 seasons, which included a trip to the NFC Championship game (which they lost on a miracle catch by Ricky Proehl and a bad no-catch call on Bert Emmanuel--which incidentaly sparked a rule change).

Couple that with 7 consecutive playoff appearances (winning at least 12 games every season with the exception of one in which they had 10 wins) and a Superbowl victory in Indy, and I'd say he's done just fine in both places.

Let's also remember that TB won the Superbowl the year after he was fired--Gruden should get half the credit due to the vast improvement on offense, but Dungy's half of the credit shouldn't fall by the wayside.

And I don't put a whole lot into the "too soft" stuff. Dick Vermiel won a Superbowl, and he's the ultimate softie. Bill Walsh wan't a yeller either. If a guy can coach, he can coach.

Just my 1 cent.

Yep, Dungy's so great that as soon as he left, his team is going to go undefeated to the SB being coached by the bus driver.

Dungy has famously struggled to maximize the potential of teams absolutely loaded with talent. What can he do for the Bills?

He would never take the job--why would he tip over the house of cards that his reputation is built on?

First off, thanks for the summary.

Secondly, let's keep in mind that Dungy is NOT a GM.

And before we go and hand him the keys to Bills land (and Brown gives him a key to the city- from Owens), let's remember that it was Dungy AND former Tampa GM Bruce Allen that turned the perennial punching bag Bucs into an eventual Super Bowl winner.

There was a rumor that flashed quickly about 2 months ago that the Bills were interested in Bruce Allen as GM.

Now, if we got both men, I would be all for it.

As far as Vick is concerned, on the one hand Dungy acting as Vick's mentor would most likely translate well to a coach/ player relationship. On the other hand, I really don't want Michael Vick so much as sniffing a dog park in WNY, let alone be given the role of starting QB for the Bills.

The difficult thing is that he may be the best option available for teams this offseason as a possible free agent/ trade.

Personally, I feel Jeff Garcia has got to have 2 seasons left in him. Once Owens vacates OBD, Garcia would be a much more interesting option IMO that would give us a couple of seasons to find/ groom a replacement.

But please, please, PLEASE let it be Allen AND Dungy. And no Vick.

Yep, Dungy's so great that as soon as he left, his team is going to go undefeated to the SB being coached by the bus driver.

Dungy has famously struggled to maximize the potential of teams absolutely loaded with talent. What can he do for the Bills?

He would never take the job--why would he tip over the house of cards that his reputation is built on?

Except for when he--you know--took a 6-10 team and brought them to the playoffs in 4 of the next 5 seasons. But you're right, that 6-10 team was loaded with talent and should've won the Superbowl.

And then there's the matter of him actually--you know--winning the Superbowl in Indy, which was sparked by the team's outstanding defensive play in the playoffs, which wasn't what got them there. But hey, I'm sure that out-of-nowhere defensive performance for 3 consecutive playoff games was Dungy mis-managing his talent again.

This is the title of an ESPN insider article today, anybody have insider that can take a look and tell us what it says? i think we all know that the bills are making a ton of changes this offseason, but i'd like to see what this article is addressing specifically.

Full Text:

Confirming a rumor that was being bounced around the Internet for about a week, Buffalo Bills receivers coach Tyke Tolbert is leaving the team to take on a similar role at LSU, according to the Buffalo News.

But there's a deeper impact to his departure and its timing, albeit a bit speculative. This horizontal move by Tolbert could mean that there are internal whispers going around the Bills' personnel that a major house-cleaning is on the way, and they should be exploring some other options. We know the team is poised to hire a new head coach, and that new coach will probably want to bring in his own assistants. It's possible that Tolbert -- an LSU alum -- saw this as a sign that he wouldn't have a job in Buffalo next season, and he wanted to make sure he was employed. After all, given the Bills' relative struggles, some of his colleagues might not find their next job so easily.

Full Text:

Confirming a rumor that was being bounced around the Internet for about a week, Buffalo Bills receivers coach Tyke Tolbert is leaving the team to take on a similar role at LSU, according to the Buffalo News.

But there's a deeper impact to his departure and its timing, albeit a bit speculative. This horizontal move by Tolbert could mean that there are internal whispers going around the Bills' personnel that a major house-cleaning is on the way, and they should be exploring some other options. We know the team is poised to hire a new head coach, and that new coach will probably want to bring in his own assistants. It's possible that Tolbert -- an LSU alum -- saw this as a sign that he wouldn't have a job in Buffalo next season, and he wanted to make sure he was employed. After all, given the Bills' relative struggles, some of his colleagues might not find their next job so easily.

I agree.

I don't know about rumblings or rumors making an impact, but the simple fact that there currently IS a head coaching vacancy means that most (if not all) of the staff will be gone.

It's a pretty smart move by Tolbert, as waiting around and taking a tremendous chance that he would be retained is not anything worth betting on.

I'm starting to get excited again...

I have been saying for a while now that I thought we'd end up with Dungy (and probably Vick), especially after the comments Dungy made about what a great opportunity the Bills job is going to be for the next coach. I can definitely get behind the idea of hiring Dungy. In 13yrs as a head caoch, he has 139 wins and 69 losses and has only had 1 losing season and that includes the years he spent fixing Tampa from being a perennial laughing stock. I think he would be perfect for the Bills.

And I could live with Vick for a year or two while our 1st round QB develops.

And so far exactly what has Caldwell done that Dungy hadn't done before?

I don't understand the negativity toward Dungy. He's been successful everywhere he's been and he's a class act.

We'd be damn lucky to get him.

I don't either.

I think that it stems from the Buc fan base voicing displeasure when Dungy was head coach that for as good as Tampa was in getting to the playoffs every season and owning their division, that his teams were kind of 'Marty-esque' in that once in the playoffs, they always went nowhere.

That is why Tampa management went wild and traded some 1st round picks to Oakland to get their paws on Gruden- who, as history shows, actually advanced Tampa to become Super Bowl Champs. Now, some argue that it was this change in attitude that was needed (Dungy is too passive, Gruden is in-your-face, aggressive), and there is some validity to that.

But Dungy has Indy to fall back on. He got Indy to a Super Bowl and also won one.

So for all of the naysayers of Dungy based on his Tampa experience, I say Indy is his vindicator.

But I would want Bruce Allen at GM to complement him.

This is a pretty dumb post. I have made several myself but this is pretty damn dumb.

You are right that he would never take the job. The man leaves the most ideal situation last year to do other things. You honestly believe Tony Dungy says.. Yeah I am really tired of coaching that Peyton Manning guy. I wish I could go to a place where the owner meddles, the management is piss poor and my QB is a Ryan Fitzpatrick? Polian has told Dungy that Buffalo is not a place where he can be successful. The Bills would be damn lucky to get him. Damn Lucky.

I don't understand the negativity toward Dungy. He's been successful everywhere he's been and he's a class act.

We'd be damn lucky to get him.

I think part of it has to do with the fact that he'd be running a very similar scheme defensively, and some of us would like a more aggressive scheme focusing on bigger players. But the flipside of that is, at least they wouldn't have to completely overhaul the roster (although I struggle even as I write that - don't we WANT a roster overhaul?). There is no question that Dungy has been very successful but he's also had great coordinators wherever he's been (which is a testament to him). Can Dungy assemble a top-notch coaching staff in Buffalo given that he is out of football right now and given Ralph's cheapness? And will he be accompanied by a top-notch GM like Polian who can build a proper roster (and won't be constrained by the cash-to-cap ridiculousness?) - those are the key questions.

And so far exactly what has Caldwell done that Dungy hadn't done before?

Dungy built the structure that the team is built around, Caldwell did not. Dungy put the coaches, players and prcesses in place. Caldwell has simply stepped in and not screwed things up. Not saying Caldwell is also not a good coach. But just because the Colts are still good, does not mean Dungy isn't a good coach.

We need a GM first and though Dungy might be the GM instead of coaching, either way we'd be stuck with the boring Tampa 2 defense (along with P. Fewell). That to me is NOT blowing up this franchise and starting over. We need a football mind at the top who brings in toughness, cold weather ball. This is not Tampa and we don't have a dome.