Bills likely to end KC's 19-year sellout streak

Tortured Soul

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/...ems-inevitable/

And if the Bills don't this week, the Browns will next week.

I'm guessing that the carrying tv station and some local businesses that advertise will buy the tix. That happened twice this year in CIN - grocery chain Kroger bought a bunch last week, and gave 'em away. The other game - I don't recall the buyer - gave them to families with military service members.

And that is something that I find so interesting about the NFL.

Since, as an organization (or collective of owners posing as an organization), they have proven themselves to be nothing if not worshippers of the almighty dollar, why the NFL tolerates losing franchises of multiple years.

For instance, the KC ticket issue is something, but how about our attempts to stretch to Toronto? Its painfully obvious that a substandard/ mediocre product does not sell tickets anywhere, outside of Buffalo.

I wonder why the NFL does not issue "closed door" ultimatums to losing franchises and their respective owners demanding fielding a more competitive product or risk some sort of colossal penalty (financial, draft, or otherwise). The effects of horrible teams, especially for a decade or longer, do more damage to the image of the NFL than a legion of players that resemble the Predator.

The Bills sure could use some pressure...

Since, as an organization (or collective of owners posing as an organization), they have proven themselves to be nothing if not worshippers of the almighty dollar, why the NFL tolerates losing franchises of multiple years.

For instance, the KC ticket issue is something, but how about our attempts to stretch to Toronto? Its painfully obvious that a substandard/ mediocre product does not sell tickets anywhere, outside of Buffalo.

I wonder why the NFL does not issue "closed door" ultimatums to losing franchises and their respective owners demanding fielding a more competitive product or risk some sort of colossal penalty (financial, draft, or otherwise). The effects of horrible teams, especially for a decade or longer, do more damage to the image of the NFL than a legion of players that resemble the Predator.

That would be the only legit way to change anything, you think the Bills care about losing draft picks? they dont even select good players.

The Bills sell out all the time. The team makes $20-40 million profit each year. The Colts were losing money a year or two ago.

What does the league care? It wants a few tomato can teams for the marquee teams to beat on--it makes for great TV ratings.

The ONLY thing the NFL gets nervous about is empty seats.

That would be the only legit way to change anything, you think the Bills care about losing draft picks? they dont even select good players.

agreed It would take the pressure off the FO to select a good pick. I can hear it now "We were slotted top pick <insert pick number>, but since we lost out on the pick we were unable to select <insert players name>. We hope that we can continue to produce a competetive team since not being able to select <insert players name>."

The Bills sell out all the time. The team makes $20-40 million profit each year. The Colts were losing money a year or two ago.

What does the league care? It wants a few tomato can teams for the marquee teams to beat on--it makes for great TV ratings.

The ONLY thing the NFL gets nervous about is empty seats.

Well, and therein lies my point.

How the Bills continue to sell out, despite their losing ways this past decade, is beyond me. I think that it has more to do with the small market- minded nature of the fan base, who have been too scared of losing the Bills for too long now that mediocrity is accepted, as long as their is a team to root for. There exists some sort of imagined threat of moving that scares most into continuing to subscribe to losers.

Defies logic.

Obviously, in cities outside of WNY and southern Ontario, a terrible football team means empty seats. Empty seats, means blackouts. Blackouts mean less local exposure. In other words, less exposure means less money for advertising, etc.

No one outside of Buffalo pays for a losing franchise like this one.

The league should care because to have all teams be competitive (hence free agency, salary cap, etc- all geared for greater parity and competitiveness- thus more $$) spells an increase in the bottom line. Creating a rabid fan base with rabid competition amongst teams is a huge money maker.

Tolerating mediocrity hurts that premise.

Well, and therein lies my point.

How the Bills continue to sell out, despite their losing ways this past decade, is beyond me. I think that it has more to do with the small market- minded nature of the fan base, who have been too scared of losing the Bills for too long now that mediocrity is accepted, as long as their is a team to root for. There exists some sort of imagined threat of moving that scares most into continuing to subscribe to losers.

Defies logic.

Obviously, in cities outside of WNY and southern Ontario, a terrible football team means empty seats. Empty seats, means blackouts. Blackouts mean less local exposure. In other words, less exposure means less money for advertising, etc.

No one outside of Buffalo pays for a losing franchise like this one.

The league should care because to have all teams be competitive (hence free agency, salary cap, etc- all geared for greater parity and competitiveness- thus more $$) spells an increase in the bottom line. Creating a rabid fan base with rabid competition amongst teams is a huge money maker.

Tolerating mediocrity hurts that premise.

This is not very hard to figure out.

People don't spend money to see the Bills because they are afraid they will move (this has never been a real possibility). They like to watch the Bills, to tailgate, to experience something exciting. It's a unique opportunity to do somethimg very few people in the country can do on a Sunday.

No one outside of Buffalo pays for a losing franchise?? Did you not read the title of this thread?? The Chiefs are awful, yet they still sell out. Look at the Raiders. Rabid fan base? The Browns. The Redskins charge astronomical prices and have a huge season ticket waiting list---and they perennially suck!!!

Obviously, a terrible team does not necessarily mean empty seats.

The rabid fan bases are already in existence and explain why you CAN fill a stadium game after game and year after year--even with crappy performance.

The "bottom line" of the League is affected by television contracts and product licensing agreements. Both are at record levels. The owners make or don't make money----but almost all of them did last year--a record year for revenue for league teams.

Every pro sport, capped or not, has teams that dominate and those that suck----there are far too few top quality players and coaches for all teams to be "competetive" at once. Simply impossible.

Do you honestly believe the Bills want to lose? Do you think Ralph hired TD, one of the most respected GMs on the market, and gave him full control to lose?

I'm so sick of Ralph doesn't want to win. We haven't been winners but it's more that Ralph has trusted the wrong guy, got burned, and then decided to trust people he respected. The results obviously have been terrible but I think it's complete Bs to say Ralph doesn't care about winning. At this point, he simply is struggling to figure out how.

Do you honestly believe the Bills want to lose? Do you think Ralph hired TD, one of the most respected GMs on the market, and gave him full control to lose?

I'm so sick of Ralph doesn't want to win. We haven't been winners but it's more that Ralph has trusted the wrong guy, got burned, and then decided to trust people he respected. The results obviously have been terrible but I think it's complete Bs to say Ralph doesn't care about winning. At this point, he simply is struggling to figure out how.

+234,976.3333333

Thank you.

I have said it before. Ralph is from the depression era...that means a lot about how he is going to spend his money. He is a successful business man. You don't become a successful businessman by just spending the top dollar on everything. I am sure there is a great argument against that, or should I say an exception to the rule.

He has picked up what he thought was a "deal" as of late, without blowing the whole dough-ball. I believe what he said when he got his ring. I sincerely feel he is as frustrated as we are. Successful business owners are not satisfied with incompetence. Ralph does want a Super Bowl.

Ralph IS THE REASON THERE IS A FOOTBALL TEAM HERE. I know many posters like to believe it is their god-given right, but he started the team and kept them here. Does that mean he hasn't made mistakes? He is not a poster on TBD, he is just a mere mortal, and has made poor choices. We can't all be perfect.

In relation to the big conspiracy...if you are on TBD, you obviously follow the Bills pretty closely, and would fall under the umbrella of "idiots" that continues to support this team. Good news is, when we turn it around, you will not confuse us with the fair-weather Patriots fans. What we have gone through for the last ten (or 50) years, will only make it feel that much better when we win the big one.

yep,

it's the bills and browns fault.

not the fact kc has also like the bills turned into a joke over the past 10 years.

Yeah the thread title is very misleading & just WRONG. If the game does not sell out it will be because Chiefs fans do not want to watch their team play crappy football, it has NOTHING to do with the Bills or the Browns. By the way, I said when the Chiefs traded for Cassel that he would be a BUST in KC.

Yeah the thread title is very misleading & just WRONG. If the game does not sell out it will be because Chiefs fans do not want to watch their team play crappy football, it has NOTHING to do with the Bills or the Browns.

Well to be fair, it has something to do with the quality of the opponent. It is bad enough to see one crap team play. It is much worse to see two crap teams play each other to see who can !@#$ up the least and win.

Well to be fair, it has something to do with the quality of the opponent. It is bad enough to see one crap team play. It is much worse to see two crap teams play each other to see who can !@#$ up the least and win.

If the Chiefs had a GOOD team, fans would go to the game to watch them STOMP the Bills & they would be loving every minute of it. The Chiefs fans at least have a chance to watch their team get a win, but they do not care because their team is SO BAD. I think if they don't sell out it has everything to do with the Chiefs & nothing to do with the Bills. Would the game sell out if the Bills were playing GREAT & Chiefs fans knew the Bills would WIN BIG? I doubt it.

If the Chiefs had a GOOD team, fans would go to the game to watch them STOMP the Bills & they would be loving every minute of it. The Chiefs fans at least have a chance to watch their team get a win, but they do not care because their team is SO BAD. I think if they don't sell out it has everything to do with the Chiefs & nothing to do with the Bills. Would the game sell out if the Bills were playing GREAT & Chiefs fans knew the Bills would WIN BIG? I doubt it.

So, after the Chiefs get blown out in SD and then sell out their very next game at home, the fans didn't yet realize (at 3-8, headed to 3-9) that their beloved Chiefs sucked?

What you're suggesting is....it suddenly dawned on them, headed into the Bills game, that the Chiefs (2-14 last year, 4-12 2007---all sellouts), have sucked for a long time?? It's just a coincindence that the Bills are coming to town when they had their epiphany?

What Mr. WEO said plus ...

Extrapolating on your premise, this weeks game is probably the best chance for KC to get a win the rest of the season. Wouldn't the fans go to the game in that case?

What Mr. WEO said plus ...

Extrapolating on your premise, this weeks game is probably the best chance for KC to get a win the rest of the season. Wouldn't the fans go to the game in that case?

That is the point, I would bet many Chiefs fans are fed up with the team at this point & would rather see a loss for the better draft pick.