(ot)hey diet and nuitrition experts....

The Poojer

went for a physical the other day, and so far everything points to good health, still waiting on blood work though. any-who, after the doc gives me the old prostate check <_< , he basically says i jst really need to lose weight, no big surprise. i am not a diet person, so i figured i would try to cut out some stuff and replace it with fruits and veggies, for example, instead of lunch, i basically ate a couple of apples and a banana today, had cereal and pizza for breakfast and dinner. is there any benefit or harm in substuting fruits and veggies for lunch or other meals? i always hear about empty calories and am worried that i may find out that that is what i am doing. Of course i also am planning on starting to excersize, and i am making a conscience effort to cut out my couple-a code reds and peanut m&m's during the day. am i on the right track? also is a cup of coffee detrimental to diets? i am shooting for 15 by the first of january!

Eliminate and/or limit processed foods. If you can't kill it, fish it or pick it -it's crap. Take the next month to take sugars and white flours out of your diet: sugar, corn syrup, brn sugar, hf corn sugar etc. All it does is get your insulin in a tizzy and promotes fat production.

Eat carbs in proportion to your activity level. Eating more in the morning for breakfast (your blood sugar is low) than later when you don't need the energy.

Eat complex carbs that have not been robbed of fiber: Brown rice, oatmeal (full cut), bulgur, barley, yams etc

Eliminate all processed oils: hydrogenated oils and trans-fats (i.e those created by overheating oil in the pan or the frier)

Read Labels.

Follow uniform eating practices. Plan out your meals or at least standardize the meals you can control, usually Breakfast and lunch. When eating out, choose items from the grill: meat, foul, fish, green veggies and a limited amount of starch.

Eating out can be a hazard as sauces and bases may have sugars and bad oils: read Chinese, Indian, Thai, etc

For snacks: eat nuts, nutbutters, non starchy veggies and a controlled amount of fruit (not fruit juice or pop).

A protein powder like Designer Whey (no sugar) can be used to supplement - blended with berries or pb.

Don't worry about portion size for now. Just get used to eating closer to nature.

You might want to cut back on over the counter drugs. caffeine, and alchohol as well as all those influence the secretion of insulin and can lead along with poor eating, to insulin insensitivity and type 2 diabetes.

Sugar is evil.

went for a physical the other day, and so far everything points to good health, still waiting on blood work though.  any-who, after the doc gives me the old prostate check  <_< , he basically says i jst really need to lose weight, no big surprise.  i am not a diet person, so i figured i would try to cut out some stuff and replace it with fruits and veggies, for example, instead of lunch, i basically ate a couple of apples and a banana today, had cereal and pizza for breakfast and dinner.  is there any benefit or harm in substuting fruits and veggies for lunch or other meals?  i always hear about empty calories and am worried that i may find out that that is what i am doing.  Of course i also am planning on starting to excersize, and i am making a conscience effort to cut out my couple-a code reds and peanut m&m's during the day.  am i on the right track?  also is a cup of coffee detrimental to diets?  i am shooting for 15 by the first of january!

124014[/snapback]

Here's a starting point.

http://www.pueblo.gsa.gov/cic_text/food/fo...yramid/main.htm

Read the nutritional labels on foodstuffs you buy. But watch out for the "number of servings". As an example, here in Cincy, sausage gravy is very popular (and we are usually at the top of the list in coronary problems!). Here, you can buy it canned. The nutritional label on a can about the size of a Campbell soup can shows a lot of saturated fat and salt - of course it does - it's sausage gravy. But upon furthur inspection, you read that that the information pertains to 1 serving, and there are EIGHT servings per can!

I've come across packaged doughnuts, inspected the label, and found out that the serving size is 1/3 of a doughnut. :devil:

Don't forget to take a daily vitamin. One-A-Day, Centrum and so forth. DO NOT do what some people do, going to the "health" stores" and end up taking massive doses of Vitamin C, E, and so forth. You can cause problems.

Good luck.

Of course i also am planning on starting to excersize,

Don't plan to start exercising, START!!

Find a time that fits into your routine. If you're a morning person, work out first thing. If you're not a morning person, don't make that your time for exercise, you'll never last more than a couple weeks.

You'll find the meal that corresponds to your exercise routine is smaller. I work out during my lunch hour (and a half) every day. My lunch is a salad and yogurt, piece of fruit for a snack in the afternoon. If you're not as fortunate as me to have the luxury of a long lunch, and you're not a morning person, work out as soon as work is over. Don't wait until after dinner, it won't last long (as with trying to work out in the morning if you're not a morning person). This time of year is especially tough to lose for 2 reasons:

1) Its cold. Your body's natural defense to being cold is fat. The way it tries to add fat is by making you hungry.

2) The holidays. Darn near impossible to resis pumpkin pie and xmas cookies.

So...don't beat yourself up if you don't meat an arbitrary goal by Jan 15th. More important to be on a road to good health. The best way is to eat better and exercise.

Oh, by the way, don't try to get in olympic shape the first week.

Think about how long it took to get you where you're at, probably take more than a couple months to get to where you want to be.

1. Stay away from Akins. Dr. Akin died FAT just awhile back. Great quick solution...until you try to eat normal again OR Die of a heart attack from the Cholesterol.

Look the key is this....keep blood sugar levels steady thoughout the day. Insulin spikes cause not only fat gains but other health issues as well.

I have seen 'sugar is evil'. Yes and no. Sugars found in low glycemic foods are good for you. http://www.glycemicindex.com/

Keep up the antioxidents r-ALA is the best out there. Make sure you are getting your Omega 3 fatty acids (flax seed oil) as well.

Honestly the best 'diet' out there is the warrior diet by Ori Hofmekler. http://www.warriordiet.com/

Beyond that I agree with others somewhat. Most things in moderation is the key. Cut out refined sugars esp Carbonated drinks.

If you are not exorcising then you are not just cutting fat, but muscle as well. Also DO NOT look at the scale. Scales LIE! Do an initial measurement of you umbilicus (around the waist just under the belly button). In 6 weeks check again. It takes 6 weeks to change you metabolism. Keep in mind the inital large drop in 'weight' is Water! Excess water in the fat cells.

Want more info I will be glad to help.

I went on Atkins June 17th on doctor's orders. I have lost 38 lbs and have gone from a 44 waist to a 38!

124104[/snapback]

Wacka I gotta tell ya man good work on the effort, but Akins is not a good thing. I would get my Cholesterol and Triglycerides checked regularly.

also I think Ketosis isn't the best thing either. EVERYONE needs carbs. Going carbless causes other deficiencies.

Well, if your kidneys already have problems too much protein can cause furthur damage. If you have healthy kidneys though there is no risk whatsoever. Actually, check out www.bodybuildingworld.com, StuckinCinci, they are not too far from you, and have been experts in this field since 1967. They not only can help natural bodybuilders, but average TBD Joe's like you and me. <_<

1. Stay away from Akins.  Dr. Akin died FAT just awhile back. Great quick solution...until you try to eat normal again OR Die of a heart attack from the Cholesterol.

Look the key is this....keep blood sugar levels steady thoughout the day. Insulin spikes cause not only fat gains but other health issues as well.

I have seen 'sugar is evil'. Yes and no.  Sugars found in low glycemic foods are good for you.  http://www.glycemicindex.com/

Keep up the antioxidents  r-ALA is the best out there.  Make sure you are getting your Omega 3 fatty acids (flax seed oil) as well.

Honestly the best 'diet' out there is the warrior diet by Ori Hofmekler.  http://www.warriordiet.com/

Beyond that I agree with others somewhat. Most things in moderation is the key. Cut out refined sugars esp Carbonated drinks.

If you are not exorcising then you are not just cutting fat, but muscle as well.  Also DO NOT look at the scale. Scales LIE!  Do an initial measurement of you umbilicus (around the waist just under the belly button).  In 6 weeks check again. It takes 6 weeks to change you metabolism.  Keep in mind the inital large drop in 'weight' is Water!  Excess water in the fat cells.

Want more info I will be glad to help.

124122[/snapback]

Atkins may not be the healthiest diet in the world but let's not perpetuate the urban legend that he died fat. He slipped on ice and fell into a coma for a protracted period of time. In the coma, his body bloated (from what I understand, not unusual). When he passed away, his bloated body weighed well above what he weighed before the accident. Let's be factual.

Atkins may not be the healthiest diet in the world but let's not perpetuate the urban legend that he died fat.  He slipped on ice and fell into a coma for a protracted period of time.  In the coma, his body bloated (from what I understand, not unusual).  When he passed away, his bloated body weighed well above what he weighed before the accident.  Let's be factual.

124134[/snapback]

Yes lets, he was FAT Before the injury. I know all about Dr. A, and how he died blah blah blah. Now go back to telling us how you are a fan since 1902 or something.

Keep up the antioxidents  r-ALA is the best out there.  Make sure you are getting your Omega 3 fatty acids (flax seed oil) as well.

124122[/snapback]

About two years ago, My Doc told me to start using margarines like Benecol, Smart Balance, and Take Control, which have 0 trans fatty acids. (I know what they are - I'm a chemist). And they have plant sterols added, that in European experience, have been shown to reduce cholesterol. My cholesterol was about 200 total, with HDL and LDL pretty much in line. I take a small-dose BP med (mine's about 140/100 without that, but most of my ancestors have been knocked off by coronary problems) so Doc also wanted me to take the precautionary route re cholesterol.

The Omega-3 compounds have been recently been incoporated into Smart Balance's plant sterol margarine, at the recommended dose. Daily serving size is , IRRC, 2 tablespoons, so I don't lack the enjoyment.

You might want to give it a try...it tastes as good as any margarine.

Yes lets, he was FAT Before the injury. I know all about Dr. A, and how he died blah blah blah.  Now go back to telling us how you are a fan since 1902 or something.

124142[/snapback]

Since you seem to be in full attack mode tonight, how about some sources on that.

Sugar is evil. Yes and no. Quite correct ICE. Learn what sugars are good for you in moderation. Grapefruit, strawberries, apples, etc....................

124148[/snapback]

Jason, check out the link on the glycimic index. PERFECT!

About two years ago, My Doc told me to start using margarines like Benecol, Smart Balance, and Take Control, which have 0 trans fatty acids. (I know what they are - I'm a chemist). And they have plant sterols added, that in European experience, have been shown to reduce cholesterol. My cholesterol was about 200 total, with HDL and LDL pretty much in line. I take a small-dose BP med (mine's about 140/100 without that, but most of my ancestors have been knocked off by coronary problems) so Doc also wanted me to take the precautionary route re cholesterol.

The Omega-3 compounds have been recently been incoporated into Smart Balance's plant sterol margarine, at the recommended dose. Daily serving size is , IRRC, 2 tablespoons, so I don't lack the enjoyment.

You might want to give it a try...it tastes as good as any margarine.

124147[/snapback]

Thanks. Honestly I have a bottle of liquid Flax. I just knock down 2 Tablespoons a day with ICE Tea. Not bad at all.

Thanks. Honestly I have a bottle of liquid Flax.  I just knock down 2 Tablespoons a day with ICE Tea. Not bad at all.

124167[/snapback]

Heh heh. It's kinda funny how things come around. When I was a kid in the '50's we were given a squirt of Cod Liver Oil EVERY day, under pain of a swift slap to the head if we didn't comply. It was used as a vitamin D supplement at the time, but is also quite high in the Omega-3 oil.

IIRC, back then, there was also some thought that it might help fight polio. That was a real BIG THING, and parents lived in constant fear for their youngsters. TB was also out there, then.

Cod Liver Oil:

http://www.mercola.com/forms/carlsons.htm

This is a goofy site, I'll agree, but it's just for illustrative purposes.