Need a Little help on Laptop advice...

zevo

I am looking at two Gateway laptops . One has a pentium dual core T4300 processor and the other has the AMD Turion X2 Dual-Core Processor. Which one would you recommend...I am not a gamer and I would be using the laptop for mostly internet and such. Would battery life be better with either one of these?

I am looking at two Gateway laptops . One has a pentium dual core T4300 processor and the other has the AMD Turion X2 Dual-Core Processor. Which one would you recommend...I am not a gamer and I would be using the laptop for mostly internet and such. Would battery life be better with either one of these?

For your uses, the cheapest one would serve you best.

Although I personally wouldn't buy a Gateway...

For your uses, the cheapest one would serve you best.

Although I personally wouldn't buy a Gateway...

It appears gateway is now owned by acer which i have been familiar with and like there products. Which of the two processors above would be the better. In case i did wantr to play a game of some sort?

It appears gateway is now owned by acer which i have been familiar with and like there products. Which of the two processors above would be the better. In case i did wantr to play a game of some sort?

Game performance is generally based on the video card, not the processor. So again, whichever is cheapest. :sick:

Game performance is generally based on the video card, not the processor. So again, whichever is cheapest. :sick:

Fezmid r u the one that works for dell? or am I mistaken. Iam a total loss as to what I should be looking for as far as laptops go. I do know that I want one for a second computer in the house. Can u make any reccommendations for me?

Fezmid r u the one that works for dell? or am I mistaken. Iam a total loss as to what I should be looking for as far as laptops go. I do know that I want one for a second computer in the house. Can u make any reccommendations for me?

No, that was udonkey.

For all intents and purposes, both of those laptops are exactly the same. The one that costs $50 more has a slightly better video card, and it has a bit more disk space, but you won't be playing hard core games on either of them. If you want to store a lot of music on the laptop, spend the extra $50 and get that one due to the harddrive.

Personally, I think you can do better for cheaper. Unless you need it right away, I'd just watch http://www.slickdeals.net for awhile until a better deal comes around.

I lean towards Intel, because through the years, I tend to think Intel'satech support is better - not calling them, just reading the site and it's resources. I've had a couple of desktops - and one laptop with an AMD processor, with no problems, though.

I don't currently own a laptop. If I did, my usage would be similar to yours. I have an Acer monitor purchased a month or so ago - so far, so good. And an old Gateway 366MHz Celeron tower purchased new in 1997, that soldiers on as a spare.

Of course, that's an eternity, and much has changed - that the fact that that old girl still runs is pretty much meaningless.

Are you planning on this laptop to be your main computer? If so, I'd buy one of those cooling devices, and if portability is a factor that matters, I'd spend some time searching about either products' battery life, and check out to see if there is a big $$ difference if a batt. replacement becomes necessary.

I did read - a year or so ago - that Acer loads a software suite onto their laptops that some folks found objectionable. That might be the case with a Gateway - dunno. Either way, that might be just me - I like a system as clean as possible, and for many, the pre-loaded stuff works out just fine.

You don't seem to be in the market for an earth-shattering system, more to purchasing a main-stream item, so my guess is that you will be happy with either choice.

The usual things apply, desktop vs. laptop...a HW problem that can get fixed for 50 bucks, a hundred bucks on a desktop can run considerably more on a laptop.

No, that was udonkey.

For all intents and purposes, both of those laptops are exactly the same. The one that costs $50 more has a slightly better video card, and it has a bit more disk space, but you won't be playing hard core games on either of them. If you want to store a lot of music on the laptop, spend the extra $50 and get that one due to the harddrive.

Personally, I think you can do better for cheaper. Unless you need it right away, I'd just watch http://www.slickdeals.net for awhile until a better deal comes around.

just bought a Gateway for the wife. Pretty happy with it. I am getting my MAC on the 15th when the Xmas bonus gets here. Hopefully i don't get stuck with the jelly of the month club.

I misread the deal I posted - I thought it was $500, but it's really $500 off... I thought it was too good to be true, since I just bought that laptop a couple of months ago myself for more than $500 :thumbsup:

If you're looking for performance and want to play games though, the HP rocks. The Acer has a MUCH worse processor (dual-core vs quad-core i7), a slower harddrive (5400RPM vs 7200RPM), a smaller monitor, less resolutino (1920x1080 vs 1600x900), etc.

But it's twice the price, so probably not what he was looking for. Sorry about that.

I misread the deal I posted - I thought it was $500, but it's really $500 off... I thought it was too good to be true, since I just bought that laptop a couple of months ago myself for more than $500 :thumbsup:

If you're looking for performance and want to play games though, the HP rocks. The Acer has a MUCH worse processor (dual-core vs quad-core i7), a slower harddrive (5400RPM vs 7200RPM), a smaller monitor, less resolutino (1920x1080 vs 1600x900), etc.

But it's twice the price, so probably not what he was looking for. Sorry about that.

Yeah, when I clicked on your link, I wasn't sure what you were looking at, because it was a LOT more expensive.