LOST...Season 6

duey

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From Lostpedia's episode summary...

"[Jacob] says that he chose them because they were all like him - all alone, all looking for something that they couldn't find."

After Jacob said that, I wondered how it applied to Sun and Jin? They had their normal marital bumps, but I never doubted their deep love for one another. How would they be considered candidates, then?

"[Jacob] says that he chose them because they were all like him - all alone, all looking for something that they couldn't find."

After Jacob said that, I wondered how it applied to Sun and Jin? They had their normal marital bumps, but I never doubted their deep love for one another. How would they be considered candidates, then?

I know. Sounds like kind of a ripoff. You could interpret that to include just about everybody. What about all the people that died in both plane crashes? Jacob's list of candidates in his cave includes hundreds of poor shmucks. If Jacob is being honest about his whole plan, then you could definitely argue that he has been extremely sloppy and careless with human lives.

id argue that he was speaking specifically to the group in front of him. Kate, Jack, Sawyer and Hurley. He never said that reason applied to all candidates. There could be other criteria he goes with as well. maybe the strength of their love?

also remember, if it was only Sun who was the actual candidate, she had no real control over her life, was cheating on her husband, and had a plan to run away from it all if they made it to LA. so things weren't so good when the story started.

I know. Sounds like kind of a ripoff. You could interpret that to include just about everybody. What about all the people that died in both plane crashes? Jacob's list of candidates in his cave includes hundreds of poor shmucks. If Jacob is being honest about his whole plan, then you could definitely argue that he has been extremely sloppy and careless with human lives.

you could, but if you really want to crunch the numbers...

we saw 360 candidates on the wheel. if each one was brought to the Island separately (which we know isnt true, but lets go with it for a highball number), and 100 people died in each instance, that means 36,000 lives have been sacrificed over 2500 years, for the sake of saving humanity.

in the grand scheme of things, it doesnt seem so bad when you think about the scale of the issue. wiping out everything, or having a few die.

id argue that he was speaking specifically to the group in front of him. Kate, Jack, Sawyer and Hurley. He never said that reason applied to all candidates. There could be other criteria he goes with as well. maybe the strength of their love?

"...The Monster has been trying to kill him and that when it succeeded, someone would have to replace him: that is why he brought them all to the Island. Challenged by Sawyer, Jacob explains that he didn't drag anyone out of a happy existence but that they were all flawed."

Didn't Jacob meet the Kwon's (and make one/both of them a candidate) at their wedding? They were pretty happy that day.

"...The Monster has been trying to kill him and that when it succeeded, someone would have to replace him: that is why he brought them all to the Island. Challenged by Sawyer, Jacob explains that he didn't drag anyone out of a happy existence but that they were all flawed."

Didn't Jacob meet the Kwon's (and make one/both of them a candidate) at their wedding? They were pretty happy that day.

see my second paragraph there :worthy: and i still say he was speaking to and about just that group.

see my second paragraph there :worthy: and i still say he was speaking to and about just that group.

Yeah, but she wasn't cheating until after the wedding. So if Jacob knows the future to that extent, why all the hubbub around who his successor will be?

I take Kate's question about "why they died" to mean Jin and Sun, so Jacob's answer included them, as well as the four in front of him:

"Jacob says he will tell the group what they died for and why he chose them."

Yeah, but she wasn't cheating until after the wedding. So if Jacob knows the future to that extent, why all the hubbub around who his successor will be?

I take Kate's question about "why they died" to mean Jin and Sun, so Jacob's answer included them, as well as the four in front of him:

"Jacob says he will tell the group what they died for and why he chose them."

fair enough. maybe it was because of their situation. they were never allowed to really be their own couple, or live their own lives. they were both being controlled by Sun's father. before, during, and after the wedding. they were happy together, and only when it was just the two of them away from the world, and that is why he brought them both together.

yes no?

MrJ...this is what has made this show so special. After the hour is over, you don't just switch to something else and forget it. I for one usually sit in stunned silence for a few minutes as I start to digest what I've just seen. Then my wife and I rehash the episode for another hour before we crash for the night. The next day brings the start of post-episode discussion on this board which usually carries through to the following week. I've never watched another show that inspired such thought and discussion.

I call bull ****. (I kid.)

My wife and I go to bed once it's over, you know, like sane people.

fair enough. maybe it was because of their situation. they were never allowed to really be their own couple, or live their own lives. they were both being controlled by Sun's father. before, during, and after the wedding. they were happy together, and only when it was just the two of them away from the world, and that is why he brought them both together.

yes no?

Maybe.

But I'm more in the camp that it's a script discontinuity problem related to having to tie up so many loose ends than anything else. It seems like the writers occasionally drop a few of the multiple 'balls' they have to keep in the air at any given time, especially in relation to what transpired during the first three seasons.

It's a minor point that doesn't distract from the show's enjoyment--but by now, regular viewers are such experts in the Lost Universe that it's tough for the writers to squeeze anything by them that might otherwise be ignored...

I hope in the finale that Desmond goes inside the source and there’s a switch in there, kind of like on the Krusty the Clown doll, that is set to either GOOD or EVIL. He switches all humanity it over to GOOD and everybody lives happily ever after. :P

Thanks to UConn James, Tgregg, The Jokeman, huey, and all the others for making these threads really really cool.

I've been with the show since day 1 and it completely rocks. I would echo the sentiments about 'grieving' the loss of it as well. It has become a weekly event in my house as well.

As far as the quote above....you bet! I've learned more from the 'experts' on here than I ever would on my own. Thanks to all you guys for your time and insight. It really has made for an even better experience for those who take the time to 'absorb' what you put in writing every episode. thanks!

I hope in the finale that Desmond goes inside the source and there’s a switch in there, kind of like on the Krusty the Clown doll, that is set to either GOOD or EVIL. He switches all humanity it over to GOOD and everybody lives happily ever after. :wallbash:

:P

Son of a B word...I'm getting freaking nervous about Sunday. :beer:

Yup. I would not put it past them to introduce a strange new twist even at this final hour. Some element to the whole island mystery that we have not even considered. Or maybe not, who knows.

I’ve had some strange Lost-themed dreams lately.

I re-watched the first 4 episodes of season 1 last night. Holy hell, my perspective has changed. From the very beginning, I can see the end in sight.

Biggest foreshadowing for me - I always thought that Locke would end up evil just from that cut above & under his eye. Always made me think of him as a super-villian, even though he seemed like such a good intentioned old guy. Hearing him say "Don't tell me what I can't do" gave me chills.

I'm REALLY going to miss this show

I can't wait until Sunday....this is the most excited I've been since being a fan of this show for all these years....errr, months lol.

Get off work tomorrow at 6pm, have a nice dinner and movie with a friend, sleep most of Sunday, and then watch TV HISTORY, BABY!!

My Sunday is going to consist of manipulating the day so that both kids a tucked happily in beds well before 9 pm. Ideally, they'll be out of our hair before 7, but that's going to be tough. A 2 1/2 hour episode...wow. There is no way sleep is going to come easy that night.

I would have to say that Fringe is my next favorite after Lost, which is like saying, "after Rolls Royce, my next favorite is Schwinn."

Anyway, I watched the season finale of Fringe last night and could only think of how it pales in comparison to Lost. The more I watch other shows, the more I am going to miss this one.

Sniff......

My Sunday is going to consist of manipulating the day so that both kids a tucked happily in beds well before 9 pm. Ideally, they'll be out of our hair before 7, but that's going to be tough. A 2 1/2 hour episode...wow. There is no way sleep is going to come easy that night.

1 1/2 hours of lost and 1 hour of commercials. Get the DVD ready...