Are We Watching The Demise Of The Pats?

H2o

If you are hoping that their decline will take them below the Bills, it will never happen. If you are hoping that the Bills will rise to their level or beyond, that may happen after the ownership change.

Maybe, maybe not. It'll all depend upon how successful the Patriots are in rebuilding their franchise over the next 3-5 seasons. Look around the league. A lot of the large market teams have had major trouble rebuilding their franchises in the last decade. Miami, Dallas, Denver, Washington, San Francisco...all dominant teams at some period during the 80s and 90s...all struggling to be more than a borderline playoff contender in the last decade. So we'll just have to see what happens with the Patsies. Maybe they reload quickly, maybe they don't.

That said, as I indicated before, I think they're early in the process and the decline will be fairly slow over the next 2-3 seasons. They aren't going to hit the wall completely until Moss or Brady do.

There players are getting older, retiring, and the players brought in are not the dominant players like the ones befroe them. Brady is getting older and so is Moss, now it's beginning to show a little. They traded away Seymour in there usual arrogance, which has backfired. There will be a huge market for Wilfork if they don't get something worked out by season's end. Maroney is a far cry from the Curtis Martin and Corey Dillon of yesteryear. No Bruschi, no Harrison, no Vrabel, no Troy Brown. Bill just doesn't seem to exude the same confidence on the sidelines either. Hopefully they fade away into NFL mediocrity sooner rather than later and it seems like they are starting to do just that. Ain't it grand? :thumbsup:

Demise in that even losing a game is such a shock it becomes national news? Yeah, I think that version of the Pats has been replaced with this new, more human, Pats team. I still doubt they are particularly worried about being obscenely successful though.

The Saints took away Wes Welker and the middle of the field and effectively covered Randy Moss which forced Brady to dump off the ball to his backs more then normal....hrmmmm sounds familiar.

Once the Saints got a lead they could send an extra blitzer to cause Tom Brady to scatter shot his throws and get happy feet, dancing around in the pocket....hrrmmmm sounds familar.

All that was against a decent Patriot O line and Tom Brady, now remember what Edwards when through that day the Bills played the Saints, he was literally running for his life the entire second half.

There players are getting older, retiring, and the players brought in are not the dominant players like the ones befroe them. Brady is getting older and so is Moss, now it's beginning to show a little. They traded away Seymour in there usual arrogance, which has backfired. There will be a huge market for Wilfork if they don't get something worked out by season's end. Maroney is a far cry from the Curtis Martin and Corey Dillon of yesteryear. No Bruschi, no Harrison, no Vrabel, no Troy Brown. Bill just doesn't seem to exude the same confidence on the sidelines either. Hopefully they fade away into NFL mediocrity sooner rather than later and it seems like they are starting to do just that. Ain't it grand? :thumbsup:

Season after season we HOPE for the same thing.

When Brady hangs up his cleats and Bellyache decides he's no longer being called a genius and quits ...

THEN will I think the Putrids "finished"

If I were to drink the Kool Aid

They lost to an 11-0 team. Hardly a demise. Are they as good as they've been, no, but they are still far better than our Bills.

They were humiliated by a far superior team. Case Closed.

Season after season we HOPE for the same thing.

When Brady hangs up his cleats and Bellyache decides he's no longer being called a genius and quits ...

THEN will I think the Putrids "finished"

All of the signs are there. Retiring vets, top tier players leaving in FA, a weaker younger group, and the best players seem to be hitting the downturn as of this year. Am I saying that the nails have been driven in the coffin yet? No, but it's not far off.

All of the signs are there. Retiring vets, top tier players leaving in FA, a weaker younger group, and the best players seem to be hitting the downturn as of this year. Am I saying that the nails have been driven in the coffin yet? No, but it's not far off.

The Pats* no longer strike fear in their opponents. I loved seeing the smirk Brady always had wiped off his face last night.

The Pats will franchise Wilfork like they do every year to their top free agent and then trade him on draft day for a first and third round pick.

Pioli is not the genius GM you think he is. Belicheck has been guiding the drafts and grooming guys like Pioli to find players that fit his system all these years. That's why Pioli was only VP of Player Personnel and not a GM in NE. That's also why Pioli will not have as much success in KC as he and Belichek did in NE.