Week 12 - Bills not on TV in NYC

Mopreme

Can someone please explain to me as to why CBS is not showing the Bills/Dolphins game at 1:00pm in NYC? Fox has the Jets and the Giants play on Thursday. Instead, CBS is playing the Chiefs/Chargers game at 4:00. What? Who the hell cares about that game living in NYC.

Can someone please explain to me as to why CBS is not showing the Bills/Dolphins game at 1:00pm in NYC? Fox has the Jets and the Giants play on Thursday. Instead, CBS is playing the Chiefs/Chargers game at 4:00. What? Who the hell cares about that game living in NYC.

I live in the NYC Area, Bills Fan since 1979...

They show the game that will give the highest ratings.... When the Bills are good they are on..... now they aren't they wont be , yes the Chiefs are bad too, but the chargers are good, Its all about the ratings

The Jets game is also at 1:00. CBS would not waste their 1:00 game if a NYC team is playing at the same time.

Jets home game at 1pm means that there is no game at 1pm on CBS. It's not because you live in NYC...it is the NFL TV rule. Either get DirectTV or go to McFaddens or Calico Jacks...

Same rules (stupid rules...but this is the no fun league) apply to a Bills home game...

Why it is stupid is that all Giants/Jets games are home sellouts so putting another game on opposite will not impact ticket sales, which is the reasoning for the rule in the first place.

Albany is a pretty good example of the "secondary market" because we can be that for the Bills and Patriots*. Jets & Giants get top priority around here, so I'll look for when they're playing and whether or not the Bills are on at the same time/network.

This week is a good example - Giants play Thursday and the Jets play Carolina on Fox. So, the local CBS affiliate could choose from the Bills or Patriots*. Since the Patsies play on Monday night, we'll get the Bills at 1:00 on Sunday. If New England's game was also at 1:00, we'd likely get that instead...especially considering their opponent.

I've also noticed that the Jets & Giants have yet to play a game at the same time that would be covered by the same network - I'm sure the NFL takes that into account during the scheduling.

Albany is a pretty good example of the "secondary market" because we can be that for the Bills and Patriots*. Jets & Giants get top priority around here, so I'll look for when they're playing and whether or not the Bills are on at the same time/network.

This week is a good example - Giants play Thursday and the Jets play Carolina on Fox. So, the local CBS affiliate could choose from the Bills or Patriots*. Since the Patsies play on Monday night, we'll get the Bills at 1:00 on Sunday. If New England's game was also at 1:00, we'd likely get that instead...especially considering their opponent.

I've also noticed that the Jets & Giants have yet to play a game at the same time that would be covered by the same network - I'm sure the NFL takes that into account during the scheduling.

Most of the time we get the game over the Patriots, because there are more Bills' fans in the area.

The NFL makes sure the Giants & Jets never play at the same time. Due to blackout rules, they're not on the same network, since one team usually is home. Also, since each team has a maximum of only 2 games per year on the other team's network, it's pretty easy to work the network thing out. Obviously, since they're in the same stadium, you can never schedule them for home games on the same day. This year has been an abberation due to a holiday (Yom Kippur) & the World Series in Philadelphia. The original schedules had those two games at different times. The Jets asked the league to change the time for Yom Kippur and the Eagles did the same for the World Series since many of the parking lots service both stadiums.

There are a few typos in that coverage map. It shows both the NYC and Atlanta areas as getting the KC-San Diego game. I looked up the TV listings for both cities for Sunday, and CBS has paid programming. That's consistent with the rule listed at the site that says that no network can show a game opposite the local team. If those CBS affiliates were allowed to show a game, presumably they would carry Indianapolis-Houston instead of KC-San Diego.

That's not what I've been told.

Additionally, and probably more importantly, the Albany area television stations broadcast into New England.

You've been told wrong. Best evidence: 3 teams games are on the radio, Giants, Jets and BILLS. The Patriots are not broadcast on any local radio station. If there was enough of a demand, someone would be broadcasting Patriots' games.

The Jets get broadcast 1st, then the Bills. I can't remember many, or more than a handful of NE games that have ever been shown over Bills games in the 22 years I've been here. In fact, years ago, when NBC had the AFC, they used to hold votes between the Bills & Jets via telephone to pick the games. The Bills won most of these. NE wasn't even given as a choice. The voting stopped when CBS got the AFC, but whenever a Bills game is on the air, and they're not in competition with the Jets, the station knows that they have to show the Bills or get hit with a ton of calls. Last year they tried to show a different game & we bugged the station so much they caved & put on the Bills.

We broadcast only to parts of western New England that are far from Foxborough.

Jets home game at 1pm means that there is no game at 1pm on CBS. It's not because you live in NYC.

That's always been my understanding too. CBS can't compete againts the Jets game showing on FOX.

Fortunately I get the Hartford stations in addition to NYC so I can watch Indy-Houston at 1.

Well, honestly, can you compare the Bills to that juggernaut Chiefs team? The chiefs are way more explosive and entertaining and have a realistic shot at winning it all. (I'm sorry, the devil made me say that.)