The Texans

MRW

Seems like every year is supposed to be the year when the Texans put it all together and make a run to the playoffs. This year we were even treated to them being lauded for the excellence of their early round drafting when they were playing the Bills. Yet here we are again, with the Texans slipping to 5-5. Are the young players on the Texans being overrated? Or is Kubiak a really bad coach? Or a little of both?

Seems like every year is supposed to be the year when the Texans put it all together and make a run to the playoffs. This year we were even treated to them being lauded for the excellence of their early round drafting when they were playing the Bills. Yet here we are again, with the Texans slipping to 5-5. Are the young players on the Texans being overrated? Or is Kubiak a really bad coach? Or a little of both?

Unless you have Manning or Brady, you aren't going to be consistently good if you can't run the ball. Their oline is a finesse pass blocking line. They are a soft football team.

Unless you have Manning or Brady, you aren't going to be consistently good if you can't run the ball. Their oline is a finesse pass blocking line. They are a soft football team.

I agree that Houston is a finesse team while the Titans on the other hand, have always been a physical team under Jeff Fisher.

I would add that Tennessee has won 4 games in a row and is starting to resemble the team which won 13 games last year including their first ten.

Vince Young is a defensive coordinator's nightmare. Chris Johnson is an unbelievable player. Tennessee is a team that no one really wants to play right now.

Good observation. I wonder if Kubiak is the right guy for the job down here. I like him, but I think there is a lot of talent on this team, but they are just not getting it done. I am thinking that their defense, which has been very good, should be even more dominating.

They're a finesse team who's had a string of bad luck. Whether it be injuries and inconsistency. Schaub unable to stay healthy until this season. Slaton and his bout of fumbleitis. Kris Brown missing fg's. Honestly I think in tonights game it was more a bad misuse of time outs that cost the texans the game than anything else. They played good enough to win. Although I think they should've used some time outs sooner, or at the very least ran another play with 8 seconds left. A quick pass to gain another 5-7 yards and then used their last time out. They're 2 missed fg's away from sitting at 7-3 right now. They have the talent to win, and I don't think Kubiak is a bad coach. At least not to the point where there should be an overhaul.

I think Slaton is being underused. Kubiak had to do something to get the message across that fumbles can't be tolerated, but it is taking away the Texans big play capabilty in the running game.

Its like having Favre as your QB. Yeah he will make some mistakes with the ball, but in the long run you come out ahead.

they need a better offensive line. this year they can finally protect the quarterback a little, but can't run at all. Also the defensive line isn't as dominant as it should be with the talent they have with Mario Williams and Okoye - Bill Kollar's screaming and stamping his feet doesn't seem to translate on the field.

I think Slaton is being underused. Kubiak had to do something to get the message across that fumbles can't be tolerated, but it is taking away the Texans big play capabilty in the running game.

This is why Chris Brown did a lot of the running. Even so, they weren't able to effectively run the ball enough. Andre Johnson was playing out of his mind, but it still wasn't enough.

Slaton also dropped a pass on 3rd down that *could* have gone for a first and kept a drive alive in the 3rd quarter (maybe it was the 4th). Stuff like that doesn't help them, either. Mistakes like that - not to mention two missed FGs - will cause a team to lose game they should win. Sound familiar?

Its like having Favre as your QB. Yeah he will make some mistakes with the ball, but in the long run you come out ahead.

Yep. IMO, if a player is fumbling a lot - that's where coaching comes in. Kubiak & Co. should be working on that, not sitting a spiffy player.

The last thing I would do is to put the cuffs on players who try to make something happen. McKelvin got roasted here for his fumble. Sure, in retrospect, take a knee. Same thing happened this past Sunday - CIN's 2nd year player WR/KR Caldwell got stripped coming out of the EZ, and so CIN got beat.

He also earlier in the season, made clutch catches that led to two victories with seconds left on the clock. So he's earned trust.

McK has a pretty good track record returning kicks. I'm inclined to trust his mind and eyes - I'm assuming he saw something to put a nail in NE*'s coffin. I've never read anything that said the BUF staff explicitly told him to not bring the ball out. Perhaps they did - dunno.

I agree that Houston is a finesse team while the Titans on the other hand, have always been a physical team under Jeff Fisher.

I would add that Tennessee has won 4 games in a row and is starting to resemble the team which won 13 games last year including their first ten.

Vince Young is a defensive coordinator's nightmare. Chris Johnson is an unbelievable player. Tennessee is a team that no one really wants to play right now.

That quotes is what bothers me about the NFL. No one thinks outside the box. Coaches want to make an athlete like Young a pocket passer instead of playing to his strengths. That option play with VY and Johnson is insane to play against.