Wood

bills_red

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the same break over 15 years ago and I am walking fine. Mine was open compound of the tib/fib....They will put a titanium rod in or take a bone graft out of his hip to replace any dead bone if it was open. They have gone a long way on recovery and rehab in 15 years and I expect him on the field and ready to go by the end of training camp. He is a guard so overall speed might be hurt but they move in limited space anyway....Let's cross our fingers...

Hey Zaz...where the heck did you get he broke his femur??? Is this like the year long recovery from sports hernia surgery?

In a case like this where the player will have surgery not in his home city is it expected/typically that the injured player's team orthopedic surgeon would assist/be part of the surgical team? Or would the Bill's team orthopedic surgeon just help the team find the best available dr. in that particular town? Anybody know how that works?

In a case like this where the player will have surgery not in his home city is it expected/typically that the injured player's team orthopedic surgeon would assist/be part of the surgical team? Or would the Bill's team orthopedic surgeon just help the team find the best available dr. in that particular town? Anybody know how that works?

My guess at this point is they'll get the best one in the area and then have him follow up with the team orthopedist and then possibly someone like Doctor Andrews to get recommendations on treatment and recovery.

I am praying for a good Orthopedic fella in Jayville! He was the brightest par tof the season...and goes t show you if we had a QB he wouldn't have been in that spot! Though freak...I cannot stand seeig it again!

Probably being worked on by Bills staff in a Jacksonville hospital, unless they know a

stud ortho surgeon in the area. No way they would travel with an injury like that.

Probably not career ending if just tib/fib. Knee blown out or ankle broken? Who knows.

I had the same break over 15 years ago and I am walking fine. Mine was open compound of the tib/fib....They will put a titanium rod in or take a bone graft out of his hip to replace any dead bone if it was open. They have gone a long way on recovery and rehab in 15 years and I expect him on the field and ready to go by the end of training camp. He is a guard so overall speed might be hurt but they move in limited space anyway....Let's cross our fingers...

how would he end up with dead bone?

Anyone see the update on the Bills website?

Wood having surgery

Chris Brown

Posted November 22nd, 2009

Tags: Eric Wood

Bills OL Eric Wood has a fractured tibia and fibula and is staying in Jacksonville tonight.

Wood is having surgery to re-set the bones. He’s expected back in Buffalo on Monday.

With six weeks left in the season its likely that Wood’s injury is season ending. We’ll get the official update Monday at Perry Fewell’s wrap up press conference.

Looked more like a break than a fracture.

guys, while not downplaying the severity of his injury, i'm pretty sure fractures are less serious/career ending than blown ligaments/knees. Junior Seau's arm looked like that a couple years ago and he played again the next year. If it is a fracture, and no veins were disrupted (serious blood loss etc) I wouldnt be surprised to see him play again next year.

Correct me if im wrong, but arent bone breaks more easily treated than blown knees?

Yes, I just hope his knee joint isn't affected by the break. I saw it while I was watching. They showed the play from behind and I saw the guy whip into his leg. I jumped off the couch and hit the floor in my own pain from just watching it. Brutal.

Prayers for you, Eric. You were one of the few bright spots this year. Enjoy your morphine, you need and deserve it.

Yes, I just hope his knee joint isn't affected by the break. I saw it while I was watching. They showed the play from behind and I saw the guy whip into his leg. I jumped off the couch and hit the floor in my own pain from just watching it. Brutal.

Prayers for you, Eric. You were one of the few bright spots this year. Enjoy your morphine, you need and deserve it.

1) its a break not a fracture.

2) his career might have just ended....very sad

3) most of the time your leg is shorter than good leg. with every day people thats ok.....Pro athletes,..... not good

how could you have a break and not have blood vessels open and loss of blood?

Hey Zaz...where the heck did you get he broke his femur??? Is this like the year long recovery from sports hernia surgery?

It just looked like the upper part gave also when the guy rolled on it. Either that or the knee itself. I could only watch it once but it looked like something above the lower leg either broke or gave as well.

Hope not.

I was certainly wrong about the sports hernia, happily. I did not say a year though on that I said 9 weeks jutst to get back to practice.

I did say a year on the ACL.... and as far as I know our star receiver has not yet seen the field a year later.

how could you have a break and not have blood vessels open and loss of blood?

Depends on severity. Most likely broken blood vessels, but may not

lead to appreciable blood loss. Compound fracture? Yep, blood loss

as the broken bone protrudes through flesh. Did Wood have a compound

fracture? My best guess? Yep. The violence of the break with the Jag

rolling over his leg, would make me believe it was. Don't know how bad

he was bleeding, but the immobilizer and trainer were helping with that.

Just hope it's not career ending. Need to hear what they say over the next

few days.

What is the distinction please?

http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/otherfract.../a/fracture.htm

Stress fracture is hairline break in the bone.

Fracture and break are the same.

Compound fracture is bone protruding through the skin. http://www.medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=8083

Edit: FWIW, loved how Owens helped carry him to the cart.

bone graft is used to augment surgery for a higher risk patient or for a revision surgery after a fracture has not healed (non-union). It has nothing to do with "replacing any dead bone if it was open". An open fracture does not cause bone to "die".