Unsubstantaiated Rumor about Trent Edwards

Albany,n.y.

Why are we still debating over what the reason is that Edwards sux like he does?? Bottom line is he's got no future in Buffalo, I wish him all the best but if I never have to see him check it down to Fred Jackson again it'd be too soon.

I'd rather talk about why Brohm became such a bust in GB...at least he's got a future in Buffalo.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So you really think he's looks the same player now that he did before the concussion? Certainly, he was no Joe Montana before it, but, unless my memory is playing tricks on me, I thought he looked like he was developing into a very good qb. As I remember it, he was fast, decisive and accurate. It would be snap, look, completion. On the (admittedly few) occasions, he threw the deep ball it was usually on target. I don't remember him checking down that much. Sure he did on occasions, but only as a last resort. Even rentaquote himself, Whitner, said that with him on the field the defence could sit back and relax since they knew he'd get the job done.

Compare that to the way he looks now. He seems to take an absolute age to release the ball, staring down one receiver all the time. He checks down way too much and his deep balls are horribly inaccurate. I don't believe (as some would say) that it is all do with his hot streak coinciding with the Bills playing crappy teams or that it's all down to defences knowing his tendencies. Receivers do still get open but he just can't find them like he used to. I don't know what exactly has happened to him - whether it's the concussion, bad coaching, poor offensive line play etc... but he's a fraction of the player he was. Maybe a decent coach would be able to salvage something there but I think his time in Buffalo is done and it's best for both parties that he moves on.

He was playing poorly right before the benching, no doubt. But he has played just as poorly before, too. I am not taking into consideration that he was in a slump the last couple games. I think he could play his way out of it. My problems with him are the same as they always were. How you can say he didnt used to check down very much or that he was accurate deep before the concussions just baffles me.

Yes, he used to be fast, decisive and accurate. But that was limited IMO to 12 yard and less passes. The one thing he was good at, and probably still is, is reading defenses before the snap. He decides where he is going to go with the ball usually before the snap. The result is that he rarely reads defenses after the snap, rarely looks to his third or fourth guy even when he has a lot of time, and if his first pre-snap read is covered (actually, if he's not significantly open) he will immediately look to check down to the back. He's done that from day one and I don't see much difference.

He's also never been able to handle a strong rush. He's just never been good at it. Once in a while he is good at deciding to run up the middle, but he's not good at sidestepping rushers, not good at stepping up in the pocket (although, granted, there isnt often a pocket to step up into), not good at sensing guys behind him, or scrambling. Those are all things I have always seen from him.

He's never been consistently accurate down the field on anything over 20 yards and especially if he has to put air under it. Even most of his deep completions are not great throws. And he's always been like that, before and after the concussions. Granted, once in a while he will throw a beauty and you think maybe he is learning, but then the next several are woefully underthrown. He has the arm, he just doesn't throw a good deep ball where WR can run after it and under it.

He has a nice release, a nice motion, he's pretty darn accurate short. He's tough. But he doesn't do the certain things a good NFL quarterback does: Let his receivers make plays, keep defenses honest, throw the ball downfield with some consistency, handle blitzes and strong rushes effectively, go through progressions (somehow he gets credit for this although I have zero idea why, I rarely, rarely see him do it).

To me, regardless of whether he is playing pretty well, or pretty poorly, his strengths and his weaknesses are pretty much the same now as always.

He was playing poorly right before the benching, no doubt. But he has played just as poorly before, too. I am not taking into consideration that he was in a slump the last couple games. I think he could play his way out of it. My problems with him are the same as they always were. How you can say he didnt used to check down very much or that he was accurate deep before the concussions just baffles me.

Yes, he used to be fast, decisive and accurate. But that was limited IMO to 12 yard and less passes. The one thing he was good at, and probably still is, is reading defenses before the snap. He decides where he is going to go with the ball usually before the snap. The result is that he rarely reads defenses after the snap, rarely looks to his third or fourth guy even when he has a lot of time, and if his first pre-snap read is covered (actually, if he's not significantly open) he will immediately look to check down to the back. He's done that from day one and I don't see much difference.

He's also never been able to handle a strong rush. He's just never been good at it. Once in a while he is good at deciding to run up the middle, but he's not good at sidestepping rushers, not good at stepping up in the pocket (although, granted, there isnt often a pocket to step up into), not good at sensing guys behind him, or scrambling. Those are all things I have always seen from him.

He's never been consistently accurate down the field on anything over 20 yards and especially if he has to put air under it. Even most of his deep completions are not great throws. And he's always been like that, before and after the concussions. Granted, once in a while he will throw a beauty and you think maybe he is learning, but then the next several are woefully underthrown. He has the arm, he just doesn't throw a good deep ball where WR can run after it and under it.

He has a nice release, a nice motion, he's pretty darn accurate short. He's tough. But he doesn't do the certain things a good NFL quarterback does: Let his receivers make plays, keep defenses honest, throw the ball downfield with some consistency, handle blitzes and strong rushes effectively, go through progressions (somehow he gets credit for this although I have zero idea why, I rarely, rarely see him do it).

To me, regardless of whether he is playing pretty well, or pretty poorly, his strengths and his weaknesses are pretty much the same now as always.

To be honest, I don't think it was the concussion that changed him. It was the Cleveland Monday night game last year. He's never been the same since. That game seemed to devastate him psychologically, and he's still picking up the pieces.