Here are some coaching stats to ponder

PromoTheRobot

- Only one coach has ever won an NFL championship with two different teams: Weeb Ewbanks (Colts '59/Jets '68)

- Of 26 Super Bowl winning coaches, 19 had no NFL head coaching experience before joining their teams.

- Of these 19 coaches, only 3 were head coaches in college before joining the NFL

- 5 SB-winning coaches winning took a second team to the SB. Dan Reeves, Bill Parcells and Mike Holmgren won with their first team/ Don Shula and Dick Vermiel won with their second team.

- Of the 7 SB winning coaches who did have experience, 3 had losing records with their prior teams

However...

- Of the last 9 SB winning coaches, 6 had prior NFL head coaching experience.

So statistically, if you want to win a Super Bowl you have the best chance hiring a first time head coach who was an NFL coordinator. But over the last 20 years you are better off with a 2nd-time head coach with a winning record and significant playoff experience, but not a Super Bowl ring.

PTR

- Only one coach has ever won an NFL championship with two different teams: Weeb Ewbanks (Colts '59/Jets '68)

- Of 26 Super Bowl winning coaches, 19 had no NFL head coaching experience before joining their teams.

- Of these 19 coaches, only 3 were head coaches in college before joining the NFL

- Of the 7 SB winning coaches who did have experience, 3 had losing records with their prior teams

However...

So statistically, if you want to win a Super Bowl you have the best chance hiring a first time head coach who was an NFL coordinator. But over the last 20 years you are better off with a 2nd-time head coach with a winning record and significant playoff experience, but not a Super Bowl ring.

PTR

Nice post PTR. :(

- 5 SB-winning coaches winning took a second team to the SB. Dan Reeves, Bill Parcells and Mike Holmgren won with their first team/ Don Shula and Dick Vermiel won with their second team.

However...

PTR

This post proves it's not so much the coach, but the people who run the organization and make the personel decisions. The Bills have made bad personel decisions for years. Only when Bill Polian ran this organization did it become a winning team. Take Marv Levy for example. Does anyone honestly think he could have done much better with this team than Jauran has? Levy was given the tools. We could argue that Levy should have won a championship with his team. Who knows, maybe Jauran wins a superbowl with the same talent Levy had. Ok, probably not, but hopefully my point was made.

Those numbers are really interesting. I wonder if there is a reason why coaches don't win championships with second teams, or if it's mostly a coincidence. Looking over the list, the following champion coaches have had second jobs:

Dick Vermeil, Mike Holmgren, George Seifert, Jimmy Johnson, Bill Parcells, Mike Ditka, Don McCafferty, Hank Stram, and Vince Lombardi.

Nine coaches isn't a huge sample size, and it gets smaller, too: Lombardi passed away after one season with his new team, as did Don McCafferty (It's something that two coaches died after a year with a new team, and zero have won the Super Bowl with them.) Hank Stram's stint with the Saints was only two years, most of it without Archie Manning.

In the modern era, Ditka was a wreck with the Saints, and Seifert could do nothing with the Panthers. Jimmy Johnson had an above-average-but-not-by-much run with the Dolphins. Vermeil only managed one playoff season with the Chiefs, and then Holmgren and Parcells had generally good runs with their new teams that included a Super Bowl appearance.

I'm not sure what to make of all of this. I'd say Johnson, Vermeil, Seifert, and Ditka all won the Super Bowl with basically coachproof teams. Especially since Switzer and Martz repeated their acheivements with the same group of players. Brian Billick probably goes in this category, with the defense he had to work with. Maybe Gruden, too.

I wonder if there's something about why a coach gets fired even after getting a ring? The best coaches tend to go out on top, or stay with their teams until it's time to retire. I'd say we're better off looking to the coaches who left on their own terms (Dungy, Cowher) than the ones who got fired (Shanahan, Gruden).

My point in posting these stats is to make people think about why they want a big name coach here. First and Ten said it best: it's not so much the coach as the organization. I think the Bills would be better off with a young and hungry GM and head coach instead of a possible prima donna doing both jobs. One reason is that winning it all takes above average commitment. I worry that a coach who went through that grind once won't be willing to put in the work to do it again.

I mean look at Shanahan. Did someone post he's building a new mansion in Colorado? Is that going to be on his mind when he's working on our draft? I'm just saying that we need a team, not just one superstar. The down side is that many Bills fans would see hiring young fresh faces as Ralph cheaping out again. But yet what Bills fans want...a SB championship...has never happened with a recycled coach. Not saying it can't happen, but it hasn't happened since 1969.

This team is at rock bottom right now. That may be the biggest deterent to one of these superstar coaches anyway.

PTR