A bone (or ligament) thrown to chew on

stevewin

Thought this blurb was very interesting - have no idea how Roth would know this unless he knows the guy personally..

A name that has to be on Wilson's short list: college scouting director Greg Gabriel of the Chicago Bears, a highly respected Buffalo native whose first orders of business would include bringing back Rusty Jones as strength and conditioning coach.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/articl...3/911180350/tbd

I liked Rusty as much as anyone but there's no diet and no amount of strength and conditioning that's going to keep you from blowing out your knee if your foot gets caught in the turf. The same holds true if some 300+ pound defensive linemen rolls up on your leg.

People talk about Jones as if he's some kind of injury prevention guru, go take a look at Chicago's IR list and talk to Urlacher while your at it.

I liked Rusty as much as anyone but there's no diet and no amount of strength and conditioning that's going to keep you from blowing out your knee if your foot gets caught in the turf. The same holds true if some 300+ pound defensive linemen rolls up on your leg.

People talk about Jones as if he's some kind of injury prevention guru, go take a look at Chicago's IR list and talk to Urlacher while your at it.

I would love to have Rusty back, he is at the top of the game in strentgh and conditioning. As Mike pointed out, he won't prevent injuries. Some of the injuries are a fluke, like tearing an ACL when a player is falling and unintentionally bumbs the side of your knee. One of our bigger issue with injuries is that the team is small and getting bashed and being hit by bigger people throughout the season will take its toll on the smaller players.

Um, how good is Chicago's college scouting? Their defensive picks have worked out okay, but they've had a series of major whiffs on offense now.

How much of it is their scouting and how much of it is Jerry Angelo? It's tough being an outsider to get an accurate read on scouts and their ability if you have a cruddy GM making the choices...I am not a stout supporter of Gabriel (I don't know much about him), but he has been mentioned a few times for this gig after Donahoe...