Best Plan yet!!!! by Jason LaCanfora (NFL Channel)

Craiger93

I guess you'd have to set down your criteria, but just off the top of my head:

Ron Jaworski

Don Criqui

Pam Oliver

Ron Pitts

Steve Tasker

Any of the Papas

Nick Bakay

Daryl Johnston

Not exactly the same thing, but add Gregg Easterbrook (TMQB) and maybe even Tim Russert.

your out of your mind williams and stroud were having a great year until williams got hurt.

if fact williams was playing ! a probowl level!

couldnt disagree with you assessement of our D/tackles more!

The Bills are rated last in the league in stopping the run. Sure, much of the blame goes to the LBs and Safties for not being filling the proper holes but much of the blame also goes to the DL getting blown off the ball. Stroud will have plenty of plays where he looks outstanding and then long stretches where he just disappears - almost as if he turns it off...

Not exactly the same thing, but add Gregg Easterbrook (TMQB) and maybe even Tim Russert.

No one has mentioned Tim Graham. He worked for a while here. Last night he was all over ESPN News getting interviewed by Bram Weinstein (formerly a local DC area tv/radio guy).

Saw him on NFL network...he stated:

-Trent is not a good QB for Buffalo, to be able to play in the "elements", arm's not strong enough (would be better off playing in dome)

-Jauron's idea of defense personnel, quick and fast and smallish, didn't fit in the Buffalo elements, plus the smallish players are always getting hurt (that's dead on!)

-Bills need a new QB and at least 1 other WR, not T.O.

-Defense should be able to "take care of themselves" under the right leadership

-They need to get bigger, stronger, and nastier..

Didn't think any of the major "names" would be interested in the Buffalo job.

He recommended the Bills get an aspriring asst. coach from the Parcells/Belichek mold.

He referenced Leslie Frazier (Vikings) or the Defensive Coach from the Bengals.

Everything the guy said made real sense.

Ralph should hire Jason LaCanfora as GM :-)

No offense to LaCanfora, but all of these statements are pretty much what the marjority of us fans have been saying for years.

There are two key guys on a 3 - 4 team, the nose tackle, who has to be huge and physically dominant. We don't have anyone like that. And the rush LB who has to be the most athletic guy on the field, fast enough to run around guys and tough enough to run through them even though he's smaller. We don't have anyone like that.

I concede the NT point 100% and I suggested we have to go someone to fill that hole in my OP. OLB on the other hand I disagree entirely. Bryce Paup was a great rush backer and was not the best athlete on the field. We had Sam Rogers and Gabe Northern as bookend OLBs on a #1 ranked 3-4 defense on this team. Neither one of those guys were world beaters at anything.

Your premise that Schobel has never stood up is just false, he's been in coverage more than a little bit in his career in zone drops. I'm not saying that he's great at it but Demarcus Ware isn't great in coverage either. What you need out of your OLBs in a 3-4 is pass rush and versatility not raw athleticism. What Schobel CAN do is rush inside or outside from that spot on the field. The 3-4 tries to make mismatches with blocking and if you can get Schobel on a TE thats a win. Maybin is not and will not be stout enough at the POA to be a DE in any scheme. Either he stands up or he's a bust and they can be done with him anyway. He CAN run like hell and is long, he would cover a lot of ground in space, would be hard to throw over and would also feast on RBs and TEs blocking. If he can cover even a little bit that's good enough. He's got Poz and Mitchell (or his replacement) to cover him with less ground to cover to get there. Kevin Greene never covered anyone in his life but was a great 3-4 OLB for a very long time.

What we do have a hell of a lot of on this team are 3-4 DEs and ILBs. If we stay with the 4-3 let's assume that the Tampon-2 is gone. If we assume that, it's not like we can just plug and play with who we have anyway. We still need to get 2 OLBs who are bigger than smurfs and are fast - those guys are rare and expensive. We still need to get more stout at DT. We still need more from DE. We might need a MLB since Poz hasn't really shown the range to be a MLB. We're basically shopping for the same positions anyway, it's just a question of what do you want to buy and who will be cheaper to get.

Jason LaCanfora, Sage Steele, Bram Weinstein... Comcast Mid-Atlantic keeps sending people to the national airwaves...

outside of Carucci, anyone else from the Buffalo market make it into the national sports realm?

sorry to sidetrack your thread.

Jim Kelley, who Hasek choked back in the 90's was an espn and then foxsports "expert"