Is Naaman Roosevelt a legit pro receiver?

zow2

He's pretty impressive. He's contributed well against teams like Pitt and Missouri, so teams wont be able to toss in the old, look who he plays against garbage.

He keeps getting projected to the 4th round, and he'll walk into the draft statistically like the 3rd or 4th best receiver (career wise), but I'm sure he'll slip significantly as teams will be reluctant on a MAC WR who shows signs of being a little weak for the pro level.

He will definitely be drafted. My guess is 4th round, with an outside shot at 3rd. Wouldn't mind the Bills taking him if he was still there in the 4th.

Agreed, likely 3rd-4th round. He's got plenty of ability and certainly there will be a team (New England?) that has a role for him in their passing game. A strong performance at the combine would help as well, as that tends to be a really good way for scouts to confirm what they see on game tape.

He's pretty impressive. He's contributed well against teams like Pitt and Missouri, so teams wont be able to toss in the old, look who he plays against garbage.

He keeps getting projected to the 4th round, and he'll walk into the draft statistically like the 3rd or 4th best receiver (career wise), but I'm sure he'll slip significantly as teams will be reluctant on a MAC WR who shows signs of being a little weak for the pro level.

Agree with this as well. Being a MAC player certainly didn't hurt Greg Jennings' draft stock, so I'd like to think he'd go early 3rd.

I hope he does not go to the Bills. They can't even get the ball to Lee Evans let alone a rookie. Seeing Julian Edelman catch 8 passes in a game from Brady makes me think Roosevelt could be VERY GOOD if he had a guy like Brady or Manning throwing him the ball. He's so sure handed and quick. I think even Brett Hamlin could be your Wayne Chrebet type if given a chance to make a team. UB is in trouble next season when they lose those 2 guys.

Too slow, 6th rnd at best.

It's true he lacks breakway speed, but he is like human velcro catching the ball. Did you see how hard he gets hit and still hangs on to the ball? He will be more of a Josh Reed possession receiver in the NFL.

Don't forget about RB James Starks. Could still be a 2nd rounder. His injury is to his shoulder, not his legs.

PTR

It's true he lacks breakway speed, but he is like human velcro catching the ball. Did you see how hard he gets hit and still hangs on to the ball? He will be more of a Josh Reed possession receiver in the NFL.

Don't forget about RB James Starks. Could still be a 2nd rounder. His injury is to his shoulder, not his legs.

PTR

For the record, One of his touchdowns last night was a beautiful fly route with a decent pump fake/move.

Starks wont get drafted. End of story. He was "projected" to go 2nd round before the injury. As in, if he put in the same season he had the possibility of being a top 5 back in the draft. Now he looks injury prone. I'm sure he'll be able to fight for a spot in a camp, but he's probably too risky to get picked.

Just watching UB, he always seems smoothe, quick and sure handed.

Completely depends on his combine numbers. If he doesn't run 4.5 or less and show well in the quickness/agility drills his production goes out the window because he does not look like a possession guy. If the draft were held next week with the obligatory amount of underclassmen eligible and without benefit of a comparative workout I'd say he'd be a 6th or 7th rounder.

Starks wont get drafted. End of story. He was "projected" to go 2nd round before the injury. As in, if he put in the same season he had the possibility of being a top 5 back in the draft. Now he looks injury prone. I'm sure he'll be able to fight for a spot in a camp, but he's probably too risky to get picked.

Disagree on Starks. He has a shoulder injury. Nothing that will affect his running. Other than a ding here or there he has no other major injury history. He may drop a few picks but he will be drafted and he will do well...unless the Bills draft him. Then he will be declared a bust after his first handoff where he fails to gain 10 yards...assuming he isn't killed behind our line.

PTR

Disagree on Starks. He has a shoulder injury. Nothing that will affect his running. Other than a ding here or there he has no other major injury history. He may drop a few picks but he will be drafted and he will do well...unless the Bills draft him. Then he will be declared a bust after his first handoff where he fails to gain 10 yards...assuming he isn't killed behind our line.

PTR

I want to agree with everything you say, because I think Starks is awesome. But show me the history of running backs who have not played the year they've entered the draft and their status. Now show me the history of running backs who didn't play their senior year and were drafted and came from a MAC school.

I graduated from high school the same year as Naaman, and I remember him running a 4.86 at the junior scouting combine. Everyone was pretty shocked because he was clearly the fastest player on the field, but his game speed didn't really translate to timed speed. I would say he is probably now running in the high 4.5 - low 4.6 range.

Hopefully, with all of the big plays he has had in his career, teams will realize he is much faster on the field, and his 40 time won't hurt him too much.

Completely depends on his combine numbers. If he doesn't run 4.5 or less and show well in the quickness/agility drills his production goes out the window because he does not look like a possession guy. If the draft were held next week with the obligatory amount of underclassmen eligible and without benefit of a comparative workout I'd say he'd be a 6th or 7th rounder.

Exactly. He has to get good combine numbers and perhaps some play in the senior bowl or other all star game to move up from the fourth round.

I graduated from high school the same year as Naaman, and I remember him running a 4.86 at the junior scouting combine. Everyone was pretty shocked because he was clearly the fastest player on the field, but his game speed didn't really translate to timed speed. I would say he is probably now running in the high 4.5 - low 4.6 range.

Hopefully, with all of the big plays he has had in his career, teams will realize he is much faster on the field, and his 40 time won't hurt him too much.

Anywhere in the mid to high 4.5's will do just fine for Naaman. Remember that a lot of teams passed on Anquan Boldin twice because he ran in the 4.7's. Timed speed isn't nearly as important as the route-running and pass catching drills at the combine, IMO.

I want to agree with everything you say, because I think Starks is awesome. But show me the history of running backs who have not played the year they've entered the draft and their status. Now show me the history of running backs who didn't play their senior year and were drafted and came from a MAC school.

I'm a bit Skeptical about Starks. I'm not sure his running style translates well to the NFL? He's tall and runs very upright. That style is easy to tackle in the NFL. He can outrun people in the MAC but not sure just how fast he will look like at the NFL level. I hope he makes it but I think Roosevelt has the much better outlook for any success in "the league".

Polian still has ties to UB..so, I wouldn't be surprised to see NR as a late round(4-7) pick of the Colts.

He can join Colts starting Center Jamie Richard, a UB alum. As much as I would love to see Starks and Roosevelt on the Bills, I think they would languish like all our players do on this underacheiving team.

PTR

I think Roosevelt has a shot at getting drafted late, and in the right situation has a shot at playing somewhere in the NFL as a backup reciever after making a practice squad. Roosevelt's numbers speak for themselves, but the combine workouts or a seniors bowl game after the season will make or break his draft status.

I could be wrong about Starks, but i don't think he will enter the draft. He could easily petition the NCAA and get a 5th year of eligibility, especially since he never played a snap this season. Much smarter decision in my opinion. Has Starks definitely said he is entering the draft?

Polian still has ties to UB..so, I wouldn't be surprised to see NR as a late round(4-7) pick of the Colts.

Good call. if you could bet on the NFL draft, the Colts taking Namaan would be a great bet. Polian does love the UB guys. His kid used to coach there.

I think Roosevelt has a shot at getting drafted late, and in the right situation has a shot at playing somewhere in the NFL as a backup reciever after making a practice squad. Roosevelt's numbers speak for themselves, but the combine workouts or a seniors bowl game after the season will make or break his draft status.

I could be wrong about Starks, but i don't think he will enter the draft. He could easily petition the NCAA and get a 5th year of eligibility, especially since he never played a snap this season. Much smarter decision in my opinion. Has Starks definitely said he is entering the draft?

I think it's been reported that it is not possible for Starks to get an extra year at UB. It's the NFL or bust.

PTR